Approved Date : 2008-01-28

Date Card Received : 2008-02-01

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Wow the response is awesome! So last year a site was set up in Yahoo groups for the book club. It went well for awhile and then attendance dropped when I had to go back to school and life got busy for others. I think having a good run at it during the summers would be nice for a restart and then we can see from there. After the summer I'm going into my senior year at college so I won't be able to stay active then.

1st idea I have is utilizing the review section for existing members

and any new members to add their feedback on any of the books they've

read.

2nd idea is after reading the reviews on here and elsewhere is

utilizing the polling feature.

A. Poll the members on which books to cover this summer. Majority

will win with the most popular voted book being what we start with

and then follow in descending order based on poll.

B. Poll the members on what they think the length of time it will

take for them to get through each book. Then we take the average

length of time and make a schedule.

3rd idea utilize the calender feature and schedule what books we're

going to read over the summer and how long we're going to spend on

each book and each chapter(s).

4th idea schedule one day each week that all the members visit the

group to post their thoughts on the chapter we're covering that week.

5th idea is at the end of the period of weeks we have a final review discussion for the book. It may also be the

same day as the weekly check in chat day.

What do you think of this organization for the book club?

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline
Ok I've contacted everyone that have said they are interested right now. I'll keep bumping this thread for a week to see if there is any other new members interested as we're going to keep organizing the book club for a week before we start our first book.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

And mohamed is using yours cuz I sent the link to yours and he requested in. Its all good though men and women are welcome for book discussion if they're willing to participate. I'll send the link to this profile so you may join as well. :P

Yes I would also like to do this! I just saw the kite runner also!It was a very good movie!

Sorry olivia I used mohameds id!!! lol !!

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Great Ideas Olivia! i just did not realize it was a separate group ~ thought this thread was the book club. It may be useful to post reminders on here tho :thumbs:

6042646_bodyshot_300x400.gif

weight.png

Timeline

I thought about that cuz VJ is user friendly and easier to read than Yahoo group threads in moi opinion. However, I didn't want the random public on VJ to come in and post their random thoughts derailing the group who are participating members of the book club. This way it stays on book topic as a sanctuary of study. :thumbs:

Great Ideas Olivia! i just did not realize it was a separate group ~ thought this thread was the book club. It may be useful to post reminders on here tho :thumbs:
Edited by Olivia*

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

I have the ever so slight problem of tending to read the really good books within a day or two if I have the time (and sometimes I just don't sleep if it is a work night to finish a book). I suppose I could re-read the chapter so I could be ready for discusion. I am not sure how others read. I know some like to take it a little at a time and others are like me and just read through quickly.

Is it possible to pick a book we all agree on and set a time to review the book? Another idea is rather than chapters, we say at a certain point people can discuss the first half of the book and at another point discuss the last half. Just trying to throw out ideas, honestly I will work with anything. You really have some great ideas yourself, Olivia, on how to do this and more experience on what worked best last summer.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Timeline

I'm the same way. I devour books at a phenomenal rate. Picking a book that the majority agree on is the idea and the review dates will be weekly to keep participation up. I like the idea about discussing the first half of the book and the second half of the book. However it depends on how quickly the women poll that they can read a book and we'll take the average of that to set the time lines.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I have the ever so slight problem of tending to read the really good books within a day or two if I have the time (and sometimes I just don't sleep if it is a work night to finish a book). I suppose I could re-read the chapter so I could be ready for discusion. I am not sure how others read. I know some like to take it a little at a time and others are like me and just read through quickly.

Is it possible to pick a book we all agree on and set a time to review the book? Another idea is rather than chapters, we say at a certain point people can discuss the first half of the book and at another point discuss the last half. Just trying to throw out ideas, honestly I will work with anything. You really have some great ideas yourself, Olivia, on how to do this and more experience on what worked best last summer.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

yeahhhhhhhhhhhh i would like to join you guys but plz tell me how can i start ?

thank you so much

Nothing's impossible . Nothing's unreachable .When I am weary you make me stronger

This love is beautiful .So unforgettable . I feel no winter cold when we are together .

Will you stand by me ?!!!Hold on and never let me go .

Will you stand by me?!! With you i know i belong . When the story gets told .

When day turns into night .I look into your eyes . I see my future now .All the world and its wonder

This love wont fade away.And through the hardest days . I will never question us .You are the reason my only reason.

I'm blessed to find what i need in a world loosing hope. you are my only believe .

You make things right every time after time.....

Will you stand by me ?!!!

I love you so much and i miss you so much more .

anm68b54b0b16262b16.gif

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
Ok I've contacted everyone that have said they are interested right now. I'll keep bumping this thread for a week to see if there is any other new members interested as we're going to keep organizing the book club for a week before we start our first book.

I am interested also!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

I read tons of books, I love reading about all kinds of things. Some of my all time favorites are:

1. THE GRAPES OF WRATH by John Steinbeck
  2. 1984 by George Orwell
  3. ANIMAL FARM by George Orwell
  4. FROM HERE TO ETERNITY by James Jones
  5. TOBACCO ROAD by Erskine Caldwell
  6. SOPHIE'S CHOICE by William Styron
  7. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee
  8. GONE WITH THE WIND by Margaret Mitchell
  9. THE STAND by Stephen King
  10. THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY by Douglas Adams
  11. SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES by Ray Bradbury
  12. WATERSHIP DOWN by Richard Adams
  13. IT by Stephen King
Anybody read any of these, I would love to be in the book club, as you can see I read all the time.

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

Timeline

Those are all great books. I've read many of those on your list. This book club is related to the Middle East North Africa if that's alright we'd love to have you? I'll have to get back to you though after I'm doing working today.

I read tons of books, I love reading about all kinds of things. Some of my all time favorites are:
  2. 1984 by George Orwell
  13. IT by Stephen King
Anybody read any of these, I would love to be in the book club, as you can see I read all the time.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

Ok I'm back and I just sent you the link.

2. 1984 by George Orwell
  13. IT by Stephen King

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.