forgiven

Questions about my visit to the Philippines

60 posts in this topic

Main thing is to stay in Davao [fairly safe] and don't travel North. Like to South Cotobato!!! Muslims and Abu "eat" puti there!

and also i dnt think it is proper to say that muslims eat puti...

im not a muslim but i dnt think it is proper to make an offensive and discriminating comment like this..

this makes me mad.. :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

some are just mainly ingnorance for droppping such statements... and i think tallcoolone no offense but your logic doesnt seem to be so logical...

ABU Sayaf (Al Queada Trained) and Muslims are my two main concerns in PI.

They are jealous of Americans, and part of thier religous training is to kill Americans.

its like having a statement that says

abu sayyaf kills people

abu sayyaf are moslems

therefore moslems are killers

which i dont think is a proper thing to say... although i believe you're at risk in phil (there's always danger wherever you go. regardless of ones city and country)... lets just being fair to our moslem brothers... they're being oppressed so much that somehow some of them lead them to believe that the world are against them... having these kind of comments makes them even hate you (american) more... can you blame them? we do all have freedom of expression but lets just be careful what we say... there are moslems in this forum too you know and other beliefs...

i agree.. :thumbs:

and i believe that ignorance is never an excuse.. :bonk:

"i don't know much about love but i know that i love him.."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its funny reading this..

I like to thank the Americans here in VJ for giving such a helpful pointers to a fellow American and his 1st visit to the Philippines..

Hey forgiven..

Enjoy the Philippines, Just follow the pointers and you will be alright, Locals understand English, they might not speak it well but they understand it..

my thoughts to you is go to the US Embassy and register yourself as a tourist staying in the Philippines..

Also one more thing... Never negotiate with Taxi Drivers meaning asking for how much to go to a place.. Taxis in the Philippines have meters.. Let the taxi meter work for you.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!

IR-1 Visa for Wife

NVC Case Complete = January 2, 2008

Received Packet 4 here in the US (Interview Packet) = January 18, 2008

Case Left NVC Forwarded to USEM Manila = January 23, 2008

SLEC Medical = Jan 31 and Feb 1, 2008 (2 days)

USEM Manila Interview = February 20, 2008 @ 8:30am = DONE! (Status: 2 Months wait is over APPROVED)

CFO Guidance & Counseling = April 17, 2008

Visa in Hand = April 18, 2008 (Our Wedding Anniversary)

Arrival in the US and POE = April 23, 2008 JFK Intl. Airport New York City

Social Security Card = May 2, 2008

Green Card in Hand = August 18,2008

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

In Davao, you have to eat Durian..."fruit of the kings".....better than balut! Good luck on your trip and have a good time.

Romans 8:31

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1- Is there a web site that I can visit to inform me what I can and cannot take on the plane such as personal items like shampoo, vitamins, electronics, etc?

vitamins and electronics are ok but generally speaking liquids are not allowed except 5oz. or less that are put in special bags.

2- How many pesos should I have on me when I land in Manila because I have heard that I will have to pay a fee to leave the airport there and pay a fee when I land in the airport in Davao as well?

Maybe 2k pesos might do it.

3- I was told that the water is treated in Davao and it is very safe but i will still drink bottled water but is there any precautions I need to take when I shower in the water?

Like you, my fiancee and I drank bottled/filtered water. I wouldn't recommend drinking out of any taps but that's my policy here in the U.S. also, water quality is sketchy everywhere. :blush:

4- what food should i stay away from and what foods are safe to eat?

As a general rule my fiancee warned me not to eat foods sold off the streets kasi she said they might not be cooked properly tapos there could be bacterias. Everything else is fine. The foods in the Philippines are very good and more healthier then U.S. foods.

5- has anyone had a problem as an American in the Manila airport?

I didn't, I was more nervous about flying into China but that was ok. You shouldn't have any problems anywhere truthfully.

6- since my mobile phone wont work in the Philippines is there a prepaid phone that can be purchased to take with me?

hmmm, I couldn't use my cell either but my fiancee had an extra cell so I used hers and bought a sun chip/card.

Its funny reading this..

I like to thank the Americans here in VJ for giving such a helpful pointers to a fellow American and his 1st visit to the Philippines..

Hey forgiven..

Enjoy the Philippines, Just follow the pointers and you will be alright, Locals understand English, they might not speak it well but they understand it..

my thoughts to you is go to the US Embassy and register yourself as a tourist staying in the Philippines..

Also one more thing... Never negotiate with Taxi Drivers meaning asking for how much to go to a place.. Taxis in the Philippines have meters.. Let the taxi meter work for you.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!

I beleive that can be done online.

In Davao, you have to eat Durian..."fruit of the kings".....better than balut! Good luck on your trip and have a good time.

I disagree, it is optional. my wife tried to get me to, but I wouldn't give in. I couldn't get past the smells like hell part, to find out if it tast :lol: es like heaven. :lol:

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

I disagree, it is optional. my wife tried to get me to, but I wouldn't give in. I couldn't get past the smells like hell part, to find out if it tast :lol: es like heaven. :lol:

Hehehehe.. I was watching this documentary called Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern..

He tried a Durian Fruit and he explained the taste being rotten mushed Onions..

Yuck!! :wacko:

I can't eat something that doesn't smell good... Doesn't matter if it taste good..

IR-1 Visa for Wife

NVC Case Complete = January 2, 2008

Received Packet 4 here in the US (Interview Packet) = January 18, 2008

Case Left NVC Forwarded to USEM Manila = January 23, 2008

SLEC Medical = Jan 31 and Feb 1, 2008 (2 days)

USEM Manila Interview = February 20, 2008 @ 8:30am = DONE! (Status: 2 Months wait is over APPROVED)

CFO Guidance & Counseling = April 17, 2008

Visa in Hand = April 18, 2008 (Our Wedding Anniversary)

Arrival in the US and POE = April 23, 2008 JFK Intl. Airport New York City

Social Security Card = May 2, 2008

Green Card in Hand = August 18,2008

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hehehehe.. I was watching this documentary called Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern..

He tried a Durian Fruit and he explained the taste being rotten mushed Onions..

Yuck!! :wacko:

I can't eat something that doesn't smell good... Doesn't matter if it taste good..

I haven't even tried eating such fruit...you're right, it's yucky but yummy for others :yes: It'splenty in our area but I never put my fingers on it :bonk:

Edited by lirachadsbaby

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

good advice :thumbs:

i remember when my husband and i were having groceries in SM and he smelled the durian, he said what the #### is that smell (take note: we were still a bit far away in the fruit section)lol! i told him that yeah it smells bad but they say it taste good. i haven't tried durian too but the durian candy is kinda ok for me.

Edited by o0pink0o

My son named Zac

"My son's smile makes my day complete"

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

MY K3 TIMELINE purple4.gifVid of how I prepared my interview documents purple.gifPapers that I brought on my USEM interview

AOS TIMELINE

06.17.2010 - submitted our papers

06.19.2010 - papers arrived at Chicago lockbox

06.24.2010 - Check cashed

06.28.2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy received (9 days from the day they got our papers)

07.05.2010 - Received Biometrics Schedule (July 26)

08.05.2010 - Biometrics done! (had to re-schedule from 7/26 to 8/5)

08.13.2010 - Got my interview letter

08.20.2010 - EAD card on production

09.06.2010 - Got my EAD Card (62 days)

09.07.2010 - Applied for SSN

09.14.2010 - SSN Card received

09.16.2010 - Interview schedule (APPROVED)

09.20.2010 - Welcome Notice Received ("Welcome to the USA")

09.25.2010 - 10 yr Green Card received! (98 days)

Timeline

I Would take my chances anywhere in Mindanao alone on the street at night versus any US inner city. I think most of warnings are much overblown. Just pay attention around you the same as if you were in any big city in the US.

Especially in Davao, many consider it the cleanest and safest city in PI. The mayor there definately has the right idea. It is tops on my list for a place to build our retirement home. If your budget is not too tight Stay at the Marco Polo It is a true 5 star hotel for 1/4 the price you would pay in the US or Europe for the same quality.

As far as food goes if your worried Stick to things that have been cooked to 150+ degrees, that pretty much kills anything that you have to worry about. Don't bother with beef products in PI the quality is horrible, If you like fish try Lapu Lapu, fresh Tuna or Bangus most of the others are too strong for American palates. For sure try some Lechon, Kinilaw, Adobo, Buko, Halo-halo. The best mango's in the world come from that area in Mindanao.

The main thing is be respectful and have patience service is generally much slower there than we are used to. But the warmth and hospitality of the people are like no where else in the world. If you go in With an open mind and look at it as an adventure you will have a great time.

November 5, 2007 --- 1-129F sent to CSC

November 6, 2007 --- Package received at CSC signed for by V SEMEGI

November 14, 2007 --- NOA1 Date

November 19, 2007 --- NOA1 Hardcopy I-797 received in the mail

March 10, 2008 ---- Touched

March 13, 2008 ---- Touched

March 14, 2008 ---- Touched

March 20, 2008 ---- Touched ( I guess approved but no update on website or email?)

March 25, 2008 ---- Noa2 hard copy received in the mail Dated March 20, 2008

March 31, 2008 ---- NVC Received our File-- Assigned case #

April 2, 2008 ------- Package shipped to US embassy Manila

May 8-9, 2008------ Medical (approved)

May 20, 2008------- Interview (Approved)

May 29, 2008------- Visa Delivered

June 12, 2008------ Flight to USA -POE Chicago

"Calling an Illegal immigrant an Undocumented worker is the equivalent of calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist"

Just drink bottled water when you're here in Davao City to make sure.

My fiance said bring foods 'coz some airlines starve you during the long flights.

He swears he'll never board PAL again from Seattle to Manila 'coz they offered very little food (not enough for an American) and water.

You will be safe here in Davao City.

Happy trip. .

N-400

March 21, 2014 - Application sent thru Expressmail

March 25, 2014 - Received/Priority Date

March 26, 2014 - Check cashed

March 27, 2014 - Notice Date

April 2, 2014 - Notice for Biometrics Appointment thru email

Aprill 22, 2014 - Biometrics

April 24, 2014 - In line for interview

August 25, 2014-Scheduled for Interview

September 30, 2014 - Interview and Oath-Taking :joy:

forgiven, don't worry too much, fleur will have you covered. It is too bad i was not able to meet her yet but we did exchanged text messages and she already have a planned itinerary of the places she wants you to visit and the hotel that you will be staying in just opened last year so I am positive it would still be in perfect state and would be clean.

Just try to have fun and enjoy Davao and don't ever leave without trying our durian and mangosteen.

I hope to be able to meet you and Fleur when I get back from the interview... and I hope and pray that when you and Fleur meet face to face for the first time, the online magic will be there stronger and more real just like it was and will always be for me and my Ricky. :thumbs:

Have a safe trip, good luck to both of you and may God give you guidance and wisdom always.

Main thing is to stay in Davao [fairly safe] and don't travel North. Like to South Cotobato!!! Muslims and Abu "eat" puti there!
It may not be nice to say, but it's probably the truth.

ABU Sayaf (Al Queada Trained) and Muslims are my two main concerns in PI.

They are jealous of Americans, and part of thier religous training is to kill Americans.

If I had to go to a dangerous area, I would hire an armed PNP officer to bodygaurd me.

tallcoolone: pls do not generalize all Muslims. I am a Christian but my sister's husband is muslim which makes my nephew and my niece muslims also and I have several Muslims close friends that is why I AM PERSONALLY OFFENDED BY YOUR NEGATIVE GENERALIZATION OF ALL MUSLIMS.

Least you are not aware, THERE ARE SEVERAL MILLIONS AMERICANS WHO ARE MUSLIMS ALSO.

pls don't flaunt that "all muslims are.... and... they are jealous of americans" thinking that you have... not for any Muslims and not for any Filipino.... it is soooo... well, i'm just recalling what some of my friends who are working/have worked on call centers said :whistle:

ROC

still waiting for GC replacement

N-400

04/23/2012...... N-400 packet sent to Lewisville, TX via USPS express mail

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

04/27/2012...... Check cashed

04/30/2012...... Received NOA 1 dated April 26, 2012

06/01/2012...... Received notice for biometrics dated May 29, 2012

06/20/2012...... Biometrics schedule (early bio June 05, 2012)

06/18/2012...... Email notification, N400 placed in line for interview

06/29/2012...... Email notification, N400 scheduled for interview

07/05/2012...... Interview Letter Received

08/07/2012...... Interview (PASSED)

Link to: Full timeline

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

i remember when my husband and i were having groceries in SM and he smelled the durian, he said what the #### is that smell (take note: we were still a bit far away in the fruit section)lol! i told him that yeah it smells bad but they say it taste good. i haven't tried durian too but the durian candy is kinda ok for me.

This made me :rofl: I tried a bit of durian and it was as awful tasting as it is smelling. I only tried a bit of durian ice cream (cuz my sweetheart forced it in my mouth) and that tasted okay, but even the ice cream smells bad like something rotting. Hehehe

I laughed at your post cuz I can picture myself saying that too. :lol:

Scott

Removing Conditions on Wife's GC

08/14/09-Mailed Packet to CSC

08/24/09-Packet Received at CSC

08/24/09-Check Cashed

09/16/09-NOA 1 Received (My Error)

09/16/09-Biometrics

10/20/09-Interview PASSED!!!!

10/28/09-Approval Notice Received via US Mail

AOS for Daughter's K-2

07/14/09 - Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

07/16/09 - Received AOS Packet in Chicago

07/27/09 - NOA1 Received

08/10/09 - Biometrics ---DONE!!!---

09/16/09 - Interview Date AOS Held Pending Outcome of Wife's I-751

10/20/09 - Mir Passes ROC Interview

10/23/09 - Email received-Card Production Ordered!Woohooo!!!

This made me :rofl: I tried a bit of durian and it was as awful tasting as it is smelling. I only tried a bit of durian ice cream (cuz my sweetheart forced it in my mouth) and that tasted okay, but even the ice cream smells bad like something rotting. Hehehe

I laughed at your post cuz I can picture myself saying that too. :lol:

Scott

For durian eaters like me, Durian smells like hell but taste like heaven :innocent: ... but it does need getting used to. :star:

ROC

still waiting for GC replacement

N-400

04/23/2012...... N-400 packet sent to Lewisville, TX via USPS express mail

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

04/27/2012...... Check cashed

04/30/2012...... Received NOA 1 dated April 26, 2012

06/01/2012...... Received notice for biometrics dated May 29, 2012

06/20/2012...... Biometrics schedule (early bio June 05, 2012)

06/18/2012...... Email notification, N400 placed in line for interview

06/29/2012...... Email notification, N400 scheduled for interview

07/05/2012...... Interview Letter Received

08/07/2012...... Interview (PASSED)

Link to: Full timeline

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

For durian eaters like me, Durian smells like hell but taste like heaven :innocent: ... but it does need getting used to. :star:

my wife has tried to convince me of that, but no way! :whistle::lol:

don't worry forgiven, there are plenty of other yummy fruits to eat in Davao. ;)

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Timeline

I appreciate the valuable information that has been presented here. The days are counting down and tomorrow and Monday I will be getting everything ready to go. We will be sure to post some photos here during my visit. Thanks everyone

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.