• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We don't actually "share", but somehow his food always has a way of

ending up on my plate!! We do have our own plates, glasses, etc but

he keeps putting things from his plate to mine. I just go with the flow..

he's a sweetie... :luv:

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
The more people there are though, the less appetizing it becomes.

We'll be taking my family to visit his family in Morocco and I don't think my family is going to be amenable to the communal plate.

I wonder if people get sick more often in Morocco than they do here because of all the sharing. Or if they're more resistant because of it.

Who knows. But don't look at me on food sharing. :P

I'm the kind of person who drops something on the floor in the house "Aww man ... but it's so good ... "

*looks one way*

*looks the other*

*shrug*

*gulp*

;)

[ edit : we don't wear shoes in the house, so it's 50% less gross. :) ]

Ten-second rule. :thumbs:

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

One thing I hate sharing is my Diet Coke. Come on there's more in the fridge just let me have mine for myself, but I am starting to relax a little bit. We share if it's tagine or something, but if it's other food no. That kind of sharing never really got to me, because it's not like your shoving your face in the food, you're using bread and people clean their hands - really not so bad. My family likes to eat tagines together, but when we have company who are unfamiliar with the practice we usually use seperate plates - just doesn't taste the same to me! Most Americans I have cooked Moroccan food for are interested in eating it the way that Moroccans do.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Timeline

Some Egyptians *do* share plates. It sometimes depends on the type of food. Somethings, like fuul, baba ganouj, or salads, are generally shared. My inlaws often will even share drinking vessels.

At our home we sometimes share and sometimes not. Again..depends on the type of food and sometimes whether or not we want to bother with extra dishes. My children are used to sharing plates because in their father's culture it's normal to share plates for just about every type of food.

What about eating while sitting on the floor? In Egypt, my husband's family mostly used a tabliyya (very short table) and sit on the floor to eat. My ex's family did the same. Here we do not have a tabliyya so we usually use the coffee table to eat off of. Our kitchen table is rarely used.

we don't share a plate but they don't do that in egypt. I bring everything out family style and everyone fills their own plate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Some Egyptians *do* share plates. It sometimes depends on the type of food. Somethings, like fuul, baba ganouj, or salads, are generally shared. My inlaws often will even share drinking vessels.

At our home we sometimes share and sometimes not. Again..depends on the type of food and sometimes whether or not we want to bother with extra dishes. My children are used to sharing plates because in their father's culture it's normal to share plates for just about every type of food.

What about eating while sitting on the floor? In Egypt, my husband's family mostly used a tabliyya (very short table) and sit on the floor to eat. My ex's family did the same. Here we do not have a tabliyya so we usually use the coffee table to eat off of. Our kitchen table is rarely used.

we don't share a plate but they don't do that in egypt. I bring everything out family style and everyone fills their own plate.

We'll both scoop out of the same bowl the hummus is in but we do that here too so I don't see it as a unique thing.

One thing he is getting used to is not putting newspaper on the table to put the food on. lol. We eat at the coffee table in front of the tv. I have this beautiful dining room but it's never used. I was thinking of making it into an extra bedroom because seriously it's one wasted space in my house!

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Great question, it was never intentional, but he adjusted to our way of eating. We each have our own plate and cup. Of course since we are married its not a big deal if I grab something off his plate or dring and he does the same. I kiss him, so one way or the other what is in his mouth ends up in mine anyway. :devil:

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

We'll both scoop out of the same bowl the hummus is in but we do that here too so I don't see it as a unique thing.

One thing he is getting used to is not putting newspaper on the table to put the food on. lol. We eat at the coffee table in front of the tv. I have this beautiful dining room but it's never used. I was thinking of making it into an extra bedroom because seriously it's one wasted space in my house!

Speaking of one bowl in hummus i get disgusted when my husbands family of 10 all dips the forks they are eating with into the hummus. ICK. I always put a spoon in it at my house.

Bridget, what is leb? Sounds like some sort of seed, i am sure its something they ahve in israel?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Speaking of one bowl in hummus i get disgusted when my husbands family of 10 all dips the forks they are eating with into the hummus. ICK. I always put a spoon in it at my house.

That is gross. In jordan people rip a piece of bread off (that hasn't had any mouth or hand contact at all other than where they are holding it) and dip it in the common things, but then they don't double dip either.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline

Bridget, what is leb? Sounds like some sort of seed, i am sure its something they ahve in israel?

leb is what they call these seeds that are varied, like pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, but they don't look like the seeds we have. We eat it everynight. Actually he usually sets up a plate with three kinds of the seeds at night and because we ran around to softball last night he forgot so my daughter set the plate out. I think that's going to be her job now! :luv:

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline

My husband tells me I eat like an infant :lol: He gets home so late that I have already snacked on something, and when I have class and am home late I eat B4 class.... so he never really sees me eat much :blush:

It's gotten to the point where I will just fill a big plate for him and munch off of it. Everytime he makes me a plate I can't eat all of it and he has to finish it anyway :whistle: As for the drinking - last night when I got home he kissed me hello, handed me the rest of his soda to finish, and went to the microwave to heat the left over dinner he didn't finish for me :rofl: Yep... I got over it a long time ago :yes:

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Awwhhhh :):thumbs:

leb is what they call these seeds that are varied, like pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, but they don't look like the seeds we have. We eat it everynight. Actually he usually sets up a plate with three kinds of the seeds at night and because we ran around to softball last night he forgot so my daughter set the plate out. I think that's going to be her job now! :luv:

We ate both ways there- On the floor (small tables) and at regular tables.. Some of his Aunts were a bit fancier at times, but for the most part we ate on the floor - That's how I eat here too - My son and I never use the table and always go for the small coffee table or sitting in the floor... He does the news paper thing too - that's not going to fly here hehehe

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Once I was having a dinner with my ex bf. On one side of me was the bf, the other side was his friend. His friend took it upon himself to grab my drink and help himself.....The drink was now his cuz no way do I want to drink after him. God only knows where his mouth has been!!

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.