Jenn!

How Do/Will You Eat at Home?

84 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm not sure what the customs are in other MENA countries, but in Morocco, the family eats from the same plate. I was just curious whether you do this at home with your SO (and children if applicable) or plan to when he/she arrives, or if you will adopt an "American style" of sharing meals.

For us, when we eat Moroccan food we share a plate, but with other cuisines we use separate plates.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

We almost always share a plate still, but it's just the two of us. We also do it in restaurants which totally freaks out some waiters/waitresses. We've learned to tell them to please leave the food all on one plate because if we say we're sharing an entree they tend to put it on 2 different plates.

When we eat at families house we tend to each get our own plate because that just works better with that setup, but at my mom's Saturday Abdel still brought his plate to my folding table and ate next to me. He also tends to snitch food off of my plate if we have separate plates.

I find it to be a very bonding action and enjoy it but never expected my sons to eat that way when they were living at home. They each got their own plates and ate at their own computers.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

we don't share a plate but they don't do that in egypt. I bring everything out family style and everyone fills their own plate.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

It depends on what we are eating. My children get their own plate but we will share but again depends on what it is. If it is Middle Eastern food then we share.

Jul 20, 2006 Arrived in Amman, Jordan

Jul 24, 2006 Married in Amman, Jordan

Oct 11, 2006 I130 Approval Oct. 26, 2006 I129F Approval

Nov. 8, 2006 Recieved letter that I-129 was sent to Amman, Jordan

Dec 13, 2006 Recieved Package from Amman Embassy for K3 Intreview date Aug. 15,2007

Mar 05,2007 Embassy called interview scheduled for March 19th

Mar 19, 2007 Interview for K3- AP

May 20, 2007 Embassy called for Hasan to send in his passport!!!

May 24, 2007 Recieved Interview date of June 5th for CR1?

June 05, 2007 Interviewed and she said he was approved, kept passport and said will recieve in 4 days.

June 12, 2007 VISA IN HAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2007 Hasan arrived in the USA and so very happy!

June 26, 2007 Applied for SSN

July 06, 2007 SSN in hand

July 25, 2007 Green Card in Hand!

Aug 13, 2007 Behind the wheel test, Passed. Now has California DL

I-751

Mar 26, 2009 Sent in I-751

Mar 28, 2009 Proof received

April 1, 2009 check cashed

April 3, 2009 NOA Received

April 16,2009 received bio appt letter

April 24, 2009 Biometrics Appointment

June 6, 2009 Removal of Conditions Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 17, 2009 10 Year Green Card in hand!

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

We usually share a plate if it's just us, no matter what we have. We bring a tray of food from the kitchen and put it on a TV table between us. We usually use separate cups or glasses, but sometimes there's some trading there too. If my family comes over, we eat around the coffee table -- big plate in the middle, but we serve ourselves onto our own plates. I like the Moroccan-style wraparound sofas. That's part of my dream house.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one plate won't happen here, nessa will have to stab my hand with her fork all the time :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
We almost always share a plate still, but it's just the two of us. We also do it in restaurants which totally freaks out some waiters/waitresses. We've learned to tell them to please leave the food all on one plate because if we say we're sharing an entree they tend to put it on 2 different plates.

When we eat at families house we tend to each get our own plate because that just works better with that setup, but at my mom's Saturday Abdel still brought his plate to my folding table and ate next to me. He also tends to snitch food off of my plate if we have separate plates.

I find it to be a very bonding action and enjoy it but never expected my sons to eat that way when they were living at home. They each got their own plates and ate at their own computers.

We share entrees at restaurants too, occasionally. It's kinda funny -- you know, when you share a plate, there's sort of that invisible line down the middle (or invisible pie pieces with several people) and you generally eat within your "lines," although there's some wiggle room when we share a plate. It doesn't bother me at all if he strays across the line a little, or vice-versa. But let him snag something off my plate when we're using separate ones, and I protest! :blush: Must be some social conditioning at work there.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

prob seperate, at the family home they always gave me my own plate and then proceeded to always keep it full

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
My husband's parents are morrocan so he was brought up to eat from the same plate. So he wants me to eat like that too since we dont share plates in Egypt. I'm willing to eat like that its also sunnah but we dont share plates when we eat outside.
lyrics.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

We never share a plate but they don't do that in Jordan usually. We do share a glass because we're usually drinking the same thing. But that's about as far as our sharing goes :) We will eat off of each other's plates too...

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Timeline

We've always shared when we eat together. Also the same in his family home. Usually one bottle of water and one glass and everyone drinking from it all day long...

My own family is the same way, so it never bothered me. My mother use to pour herself something to drink, have a sip, put it down, walk away and come back a bit later and find it gone.. And she'd yell "Whose face has been in my glass? " We were all guilty...

I don't know if it's just Tunisia or just us or what.. But I eat after all his family and they eat after me- Even the same piece of food. I was eating brik one time and was full so I asked his Aunt if she wanted it and I went to kind of fork off where I had eaten and she grabbed my hand and smacked it, laughed at me and put the whole thing in her mouth, even what was just in my mouth - And then she hugged me and said ya benti... (her daughter)

If I am the only one eating at the time and Jihed comes in, I can't keep my his face out of my food no matter what I am eating :lol:

I enjoy it like others have said - I feel close and bonded - The truth is we're that close all the time anyway (all the family) if one of us has something, we've all got it anyway lol

Sure makes after meal clean up fast and easy!!

My favorite story though about this was one time when Jihed and I got on the louage to go to Tabarka. It was the world's hottest day in Jendouba and this little van was packed - And the drivers are infamous for driving like crazy people so they can get to the destination fast and get back - quick turn over time - This really old man (and I mean OLD ) was sitting in the van, and sweat was pouring off of him and he didn't look well at all. A young girl got on the louage, I'd say about 16 and after a moment she put her hand into her bag and pulled out a bottle of water and gave it to him to drink - Then after him she drank from it as well. Then she took out bread and gave him some to eat, and again ate after him. I asked Jihed- do they know each other? At that time I didn't understand the Tunisian dialect well enough and wasn't sure what words were said between them..

He told me, she does not know him at all - All that was said was her telling him to drink and eat and that he looked as though he wasn't feeling well and inshallah he would be well soon - And the man telling her thank you so much. I asked him - Complete strangers eating and drinking after each other so directly? He said, to me Ashley, we're all Tunisian, we're family, it's okay, she should help him and be good with him when she sees him in distress..

I felt soooo :wub:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We probably will not share, but we have taken turns feeding each other.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.