dphyled

please help... I-130

1 post in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Ok, a quick background...

we got our I-130 approval on march 19, but it said they weren't going to be forwarding it to NVC because "the applicant is in the US so you should file Adjustment of Status"... but my wife has been in Japan since December (she was here in the US when we were filing, but it was just on the 90-day tourist visa waiver program thing, so we wrote that she was here but the visa was expiring in December so she was going back to wait for the visa). We did this because i had called USCIS a bunch of times, and also read here that she would have to go back to Japan to wait and if she stayed here while waiting, then we would get in trouble.

Anyway, after receiving the approval notice with that message, i called USCIS to explain the situation and hopefully have the application sent to NVC.

The first time, i talked to a lady and she said i should send a fax (approval notice and cover letter with explanation) to the CSC office and it should be cleared up within a few days. I did that, waited a few days, no response, so i sent another one... Still no response, so i called back..

Second time, the lady told me she didn't know what that number was and they aren't supposed to give out numbers like that, then passed me on to a supervisor. The supervisor was really helpful, and after i explained the situation, he said he would put in paperwork to have it forwarded... He said i should have a response within 30 days, and gave me a confirmation number that i could call back with to check on the status.

So, i've been waiting almost 30 days already... I tried calling back a while ago, and basically USCIS said that the WTC confirmation # i had was an NVC #, so i should call them. After calling NVC, they said they don't use any WTC numbers, so it must be a USCIS thing... Was stuck with that...

Tried calling back today, and the USCIS guy said that they don't have any WTC numbers and he doesn't know what the "supervisor" guy was talking about. Also, he was saying my only option was to either file a I-824 to have the case forwarded to NVC (but that takes more money and more time--he said they are currently working on ones filed in October 2007, OMG no way... that's when we first filed the I-130)... or to file the I-485 Adjustment of Status... wait, huh?!?! He said that my wife never would've had to leave, even though she was here just on the 90-day tourist visa waiver program before, she could have just gotten married and we could have filed the AOS stuff... And he said even now, if she came to the US legally on a 90-day tourist visa waiver thing, we could just file the AOS with our approved I-130 and she wouldn't have to go back to japan.... Is this true???? She never actually had to go back to japan to wait in the first place???? And even now, she could come back on the visa waiver stuff and we could just file the AOS and she could stay here?? What about immigration fraud and stuff?

I don't know what to do... For one thing, what if the whole "supervisor" thing is actually real and no-one else on the "help-lines" really knows about it... Should i wait a few days just to make sure (still a few days shy of 30)?? Or does anyone know if there's a special place to call back with WTC numbers?

Or should i go home tonight and tell my wife to book a flight back to the US and hope that she enters ok with the visa waiver program?? Then try to do AOS??

So confused. Please if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Thank you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.