Gloria

Bringing my dad to the US, he is never been married

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

:D Hello everyone,

I would appreciate all the information you guys can give me.

I recently became a US Citizen and I am filling form I-130 to bring my dad to the US.

The questions I have are:

I have my birth certificate translated and certified, the I-130 form and the money of course.

What else do I need?

They ask for marriage certificate or divorce papers but my dad was never married to my mom or anybody.

My mom died many years ago, I don't know the reason why they never got married.

Do i need a paper from the church or any other governamental office as a proof that my dad is single?

Also, my dad is in Colombia and he is 61 years old and he has never been in the US.

I believe that all the information I have.

I really apreciate your answers.

Thank you :thumbs:

:lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You will also need forms G-325a for you and your father. They're four pages each and each page has to be signed by both of you. And as long as you have your birth certificate that shows his name and your name on it, you should be fine. But since you can't provide a marriage certificate maybe you can submit a couple of affidavits from family members where they can say you have a bona fide father-daughter relationship. Another document you can send is a baptismal certificate showing your name and your father's name.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
You will also need forms G-325a for you and your father. They're four pages each and each page has to be signed by both of you. And as long as you have your birth certificate that shows his name and your name on it, you should be fine. But since you can't provide a marriage certificate maybe you can submit a couple of affidavits from family members where they can say you have a bona fide father-daughter relationship. Another document you can send is a baptismal certificate showing your name and your father's name.

Diana

You do not file forms G-325a when you are applying for a parent.... that only applies for a spouse...

7. A father:

Submit a copy of your birth certificate showing the names of both parents. Also give a copy of your parents' marriage certificate establishing that your father was married to your mother before you were born, and copies of documents showing that any prior marriages of either your father or mother were legally terminated. If you are filing for a stepparent or adoptive parent, or if you are filing for your father and were not legitimated before your 18th birthday, also see 4, 8, and 9.

4. A child born out of wedlock and you are the father:

If the child was not legitimated before reaching 18 years old, you must file your petition with copies of evidence that a bona fide parent-child relationship existed between the father and the child before the child reached 21 years. This may include evidence that the father lived with the child, supported him or her, or otherwise showed continuing parental interest in the child's welfare.

8. Stepparent/Stepchild:

If your petition is based on a stepparent-stepchild relationship, you must file your petition with a copy of the marriage certificate of the stepparent to the child's natural parent showing that the marriage occurred before the child's 18th birthday, copies of documents showing that any prior marriages were legally terminated and a copy of the stepchild's birth certificate.

9. Adoptive parent or adopted child:

If you and the person you are filing for are related by adoption, you must submit a copy of the adoption decree(s) showing that the adoption took place before the child became 16 years old.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-130instr.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Diana

You do not file forms G-325a when you are applying for a parent.... that only applies for a spouse...

Oh really? I read somewhere else that the I-130 was the same for everybody. Good to know. :thumbs:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I wonder if USCS will give them a hard time since the parents were never married? It doesn't say anything about petitioning for a parent requireing proof they had a relationship but for a parent to petition for a child and the parents were not married then proof of a relationship is required.

A child born out of wedlock and you are the father: If the child was not legitimated before reaching 18 years old, you must file your petition with copies of evidence that a bona fide parent-child relationship existed between the father and the child before the child reached 21 years. This may include evidence that the father lived with the child, supported him or her, or otherwise showed continuing parental interest in the child's welfare.

You know how USCIS is they don't make anything easy.

I would suggest getting proof of the relationship as well as your mothers death certificate, baptismal records, etc. Anything you may need as proof. You may not need it but to be over prepared is better than under prepared.

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you very much for the tips.

I am gathering together all the documents, so far I only have my birth certificate translated and certified.

I do have my Baptismal certificate and my dad's name is on it, do I need my dad's Baptismal certificate as well?

Anyone knows where I can have the baptismal certificates translated? I think I can do it myself but i am not sure if it would be accepted.

:D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.