sereia

travel in jordan

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
To be honest, I wouldn't reccomend that you travel alone. Not because Jordan isn't safe but more so because the whole world today isn't safe. Going to a middle eastern country is no joke. Even if others have managed to do it safely on their own, I don't really see that as any kind of guarantee. I would definitly find a travel buddy.

Well that's kind of what I meant by "depends on a lot of variables" -- and one of the many is a person's own comfort level with that sort of thing. There are a lot of things to take into consideration. I'm not advising anyone to do something, or guaranteeing them anything -- just answering the questions that were asked.

It's certainly not for everyone, and there are always some very real dangers in traveling alone. Hellz there are even dangers when traveling with a buddy. But if I hadn't been there/done that, I would have never met my husband.

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well knowing what I do know, I would feel OKAY traveling alone, but would feel more comfortable with a buddy. If I can find one, sure. If not, I'll still go anyway. I don't want to pass the chance up just because I might feel nervous.

How long do you guys think is a good enough time to see all the best tourist attractions and soak in enough of the Jordanian culture otherwise? I don't want to JUST do the basic things. I love talking to locals, music, culture, shopping, etc too! :)

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Well knowing what I do know, I would feel OKAY traveling alone, but would feel more comfortable with a buddy. If I can find one, sure. If not, I'll still go anyway. I don't want to pass the chance up just because I might feel nervous.

How long do you guys think is a good enough time to see all the best tourist attractions and soak in enough of the Jordanian culture otherwise? I don't want to JUST do the basic things. I love talking to locals, music, culture, shopping, etc too! :)

Depends on a lot of things. If you go to Petra, it is really a multi-day trip. if you want to see the tomb of Aaron, it is a day-trip in itself with absolutely no wandering around. it would be nice, though. I never ended up going but I know people who have and along the way you can have tea with Beduins, etc.

If you go to the Baptismal site, they need to take you in themselves as its in a demilitarized zone between Jordan and Israel. You need paperwork which they do for you, but point being you need to probably budget about 4 hours for it in total. That's basically at the Dead Sea. Mt Nebo si very close to that and is another couple of hours. Jerash is about a 1/2 day event as are many of the old Decapolis cities. Umm Qais is even less than that but I doubt you'd make it up there. Aqaba is a multi-day event if you're into diving and glass-bottom boats. You can spend the night at Wadi Rum in tents and pretend to be Beduin in probably one of the most touristy kinds of ways. Amman has clubs and stuff, but i couldn't tell you a thing about it. It was just a series of shops and markets and houses and a lot like regular cities.

You can talk to lcoals and shop almost anywhere you go, so you'll have that aspect of things going. You know to shake your cup, right? So you don't get more? Or just leave some tea/coffee in it.

A week isn't long enough to soak up much, but it would probably work for a lot of things.

If you like castles, there are several crusader castles. Bring a flashlight. You can go anywhere in the castles, even the mines, and there is no lighting.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
For those of you have been to Jordan... do you think its safe for a single woman to travel around jordan by herself? (mostly touristy areas) :star:

For me personally, I wouldn't go alone, especially if you are blonde, blue-eyed. I found that when I was with

a guy friend there, then the other men bothered me less. It can get rather uncomfortable without someone with you.

If I wore a hijab and dressed like the locals then things were much better, especially in Egypt, and if I was with an Egyptian in Egypt, then things were even better.

It's the harrassment level, for money, for marriage, etc, etc, that gets problematic if you are totally alone..........worse in Eygpt than in Jordan.

It just feels safer with someone. But you can always give it a whirl and take a chance.

Read Eat, Pray and Love...........she traveled on her own but not to the Middle East.......to Italy, India and Indonesia.

Good luck and have fun whatever you decide!

If you love me, then I have everything I need

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hey Jen,

I just saw this. I know you're *away* but we'll talk. My FIL is in Jordan and all of my husband's family. My FIL runs a tour guide business and would be able to take you to all those places. maybe you can hook up with him on one of his tours. You could even stay with our family there if you like. So let me know.

Personally, I wouldn't go alone if I didn't have to, but rather than pass up the chance I'd go lol.

1st K-1 Journey:

June 2005 - filed

October 2005 - visa interview

March 2006 - AOS packet mailed

DIVORCED

June 2007 - Interview

2008 - 10 year approval

--------

2nd K-1 Journey:

07/28/07 - AOS paperwork mailed

07/30/07 - Received at lockbox

09/18/07 - Biometrics

10/15/07 - Transferred to CSC

01/09/08 - AOS approved w/o interivew

11/01/09 - Lift conditions

11/01/10 - interview to lift conditions/10-yr card

01/01/10 - 10 year approval

DIVORCED

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
For those of you have been to Jordan... do you think its safe for a single woman to travel around jordan by herself? (mostly touristy areas) :star:

For me personally, I wouldn't go alone, especially if you are blonde, blue-eyed. I found that when I was with

a guy friend there, then the other men bothered me less. It can get rather uncomfortable without someone with you.

If I wore a hijab and dressed like the locals then things were much better, especially in Egypt, and if I was with an Egyptian in Egypt, then things were even better.

It's the harrassment level, for money, for marriage, etc, etc, that gets problematic if you are totally alone..........worse in Eygpt than in Jordan.

It just feels safer with someone. But you can always give it a whirl and take a chance.

Read Eat, Pray and Love...........she traveled on her own but not to the Middle East.......to Italy, India and Indonesia.

Good luck and have fun whatever you decide!

thanks for the advice. luckily i am dark and look arab myself so that issue isn't there! :) i did actually read eat, pray, love (good book!) i've done a lot of travel like that myself so i don't see a problem. wanted just the general idea of what jordan in particular was like! :D

Hey Jen,

I just saw this. I know you're *away* but we'll talk. My FIL is in Jordan and all of my husband's family. My FIL runs a tour guide business and would be able to take you to all those places. maybe you can hook up with him on one of his tours. You could even stay with our family there if you like. So let me know.

Personally, I wouldn't go alone if I didn't have to, but rather than pass up the chance I'd go lol.

prena, thanks girlie. lets get together this week and we can talk about everything then!

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi My name is mohammad Im from Jordan and Im Jordanian ... My wife is American from New York and she will come to visit me 4rth time in 4 July ..

Its true i don't know you but also i read what you wrote in your topic about my country and what make me upset that you said there is some unsafe places in Jordan .

Well .. i offer you to come to Jordan and i will let you stay with my wife at my house and i will take you to all trips we planned and you are so welcome , i will give you my address and all information needed and you can check and clearfy all .

Dear American new friend !!!!

Of course travelling alone is a kind of unaccountable adventure but also you must believe that good people always win and you must change your idea about people whom you don't meet , of course i will not tell you that Jordan is the best country all over the world but also all my friends who visited Jordan certified that Jordan is an oasis for peace .

Jordanian people have no problem with no body and we believe that peace is what we need for us and for the new generations .

I will not lecture you and if you accept my offer please let me know and write to me at this E-mail address

Mohsaqqar@yahoo.com

My full name is ( Mohammad Sulieman Saleh Alsaggar)

Ramtha-Jordan

Work as Teacher

phone number ( 00962796721164) .

My wife is American from New York and we are completing our journey to be together soon if god willing !!

im ready to give any information will be needed and i will be glad if you accept my offer and i proudly insist on you to come to Jordan and i bet you gonna change your Idea .

Last thing ..

I hope one day after you visit Jordan you will come here to write a new topic to tell all mates here how much was wonderfull to decide to visit Jordan .

Thank you

Edited by hadi10

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.