metta

Rev. Wright: If you're elected, Obama, I'M COMING AFTER YOU...

93 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Plouffe? Reps are racist?
He didn't actually say that. God forbid someone says what everyone knows: That some white folks just won't vote for a black candidate no matter what. And that those folks are more likely to be found in one of the two major parties.

Besides, camp Hillary beating on the polls that show her support being stronger within certain segments of the white population and using that as a central part of an argument that she'd be better positioned to beat McCain is no less racist than what Plouffe said here.

Now what do you call those who issue threats like"if Clinton won the nomination, blacks (92% to 8% )in favor of Barack will leave the dems?

Who are those? And just how is Clinton going to "win" the nomination when she's irreversibly behind?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

He didn't actually say that. God forbid someone says what everyone knows: That some white folks just won't vote for a black candidate no matter what. And that those folks are more likely to be found in one of the two major parties.

Besides, camp Hillary beating on the polls that show her support being stronger within certain segments of the white population and using that as a central part of an argument that she'd be better positioned to beat McCain is no less racist than what Plouffe said here.

Now what do you call those who issue threats like"if Clinton won the nomination, blacks (92% to 8% )in favor of Barack will leave the dems?

Seems like African-Americans prefer a black candidate over a white one. Obama has received over 90 percent of the AA vote. I've never seen a white candidate receive anywhere near that percentage. Obviously, racial bias exists among more groups than just caucasians.

K-3 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

Marriage : 2007-05-24

I-130 Sent : 2007-08-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-15 receipt date

I-130 NOA2: 2008-09-02 Hardcopy

I-129F Sent : 2008-02-29

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-03-03

I-129F RFE(s) : None

RFE Reply(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-08-26 (email)

I-129F NOA2: 2008-09-02 Hardcopy

NVC Received :2008-09-04

NVC Left : 2008-09-04

Consulate Received :2008-09-12

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Medical: 2008-09-23,24

Sputum Test Passed, complete medical: 2008-12-08

Interview Date : 2008-12-22, White Slips, need current marriage index and CENOMAR

Visa Received : 2009-01-19

US Entry : 2009-02-01

I-130 Approval : 2008-08-26

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 179 days from your filing date.

Your I-130 was approved in 364 days from your filing date.

Seems like African-Americans prefer a black candidate over a white one. Obama has received over 90 percent of the AA vote. I've never seen a white candidate receive anywhere near that percentage. Obviously, racial bias exists among more groups than just caucasians.

Of course it does. Nobody seriously disputes that.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Interesting waters to tread there. Maybe from "their" perspective they're trying to tell the rest of us voters something??

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Interesting waters to tread there. Maybe from "their" perspective they're trying to tell the rest of us voters something??

It's the "one of us" syndrome. It goes past racial lines.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

IMO that "one of us" is a part of a bigger "all of us" phenom... too bad so many here continue to play the game of exclusion by type or proxy.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Cheer up guys...May 2nd is this Friday.

Guam Primary is May 3rd (4 delegates)

Indiana May 6th (72 delegates)

North Carolina (116 delegates) Obama currently leads 49 to 37

W. Virginia May 13th (28 delegates)

Kentucky May 20th (52 delegates)

Oregon (52 delegates)

Puerto Rico June 1st (56 delegates)

Montana June 3rd (16 delegates)

S. Dakota (16 delegates)

...even if Hillary were to win by 30 points in ALL of the remaining Primaries, she'd still trail Obama by over 30 delegates. She's casting her hope that this will go to the Convention, but it won't because she won't get anywhere close to closing within 30 delegates of Obama's lead.

Hey Barry! Your pastor is calling you to come home. :rofl:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Oregon (52 delegates)

S. Dakota (16 delegates)

...even if Hillary were to win by 30 points in ALL of the remaining Primaries, she'd still trail Obama by over 30 delegates. She's casting her hope that this will go to the Convention, but it won't because she won't get anywhere close to closing within 30 delegates of Obama's lead.

You are drinking some SERIOUS Koolaid if you think Obama is not on a downslide.

PLenty of SDs out there, Steven. Not to mention that pesky Florida & Michigan. Wake up.

Oregon (52 delegates)

S. Dakota (16 delegates)

You are drinking some SERIOUS Koolaid if you think Obama is not on a downslide.

PLenty of SDs out there, Steven. Not to mention that pesky Florida & Michigan. Wake up.

Not to mention the rules by which the game is played. FL and MI are pesky only if the rules were to change after the game has been played. Time for you to wake up and smell that coffee. Sure he'####### a rough patch as the Clinton machine has gone all out to destroy him. But if rough patches are the measure, then Hillary would have been gone long ago.

And it isn't like Hillary ain't sliding. She's managing to bury herself in that mud she's busy slinging. You'll see.

Hillary Clinton’s descent into Atwaterish bark-stripping has achieved its purpose, having helped to insure her victory in the Pennsylvania primary. But, according to one exit poll, sixty-eight per cent of voters thought that Clinton had attacked Barack Obama unfairly, and, in recent months, as her gibes have become increasingly nasty, her national approval ratings have dropped.

Source

Jeremiah Wright Goes to War

Monday, Apr. 28, 2008 By AMY SULLIVAN/WASHINGTON

Maybe Barack Obama skimped on his contribution when the offering plate came past at Trinity United Church of Christ. Or perhaps he nodded off during one of Rev. Jeremiah Wright's sermons. It's hard to think of another reason why the Illinois Senator's former pastor would put on the kind of performance this morning at the National Press Club that can only be described as a political disaster.

Until the question-and-answer portion of his appearance, Wright had been using the multi-city tour to redeem his reputation as a teachable moment. In an hour-long interview with Bill Moyers on PBS last week, Wright discussed in detail the history of the African-American religious tradition and presented a calm, erudite counterpoint to the outrageous caricature that most Americans have seen in the short clips of his sermons on YouTube. His speech to the Press Club continued in the same vein, providing context for what he sarcastically referred to as "the unknown phenomenon of the black church."

But while Wright is a theologian, a teacher and a pastor, he is ultimately a performer. In front of a cheering crowd of supporters that included a whistling Cornel West, he gave into temptation and lustily went after his critics. As soon as the questions began, Wright transformed into a defiant, derisive figure, snapping one-liners at the unfortunate moderator tasked with reading the questions and stepping back with a grin on his face after each one, clearly enjoying himself.

Could he explain the context behind the sermon he gave after September 11, 2001? "Have you heard the whole sermon? No? That nullifies that question." How does he respond to critics who charge that he is unpatriotic? "How many years did Cheney serve?" Does the fact that Obama says he never heard Wright's most controversial sermons mean he's not much of a churchgoer? "He goes to church as much as you do. What did your pastor preach on last week?"

It continued through a defense of Louis Farrakhan and Wright's insistence that the U.S. government may have introduced AIDS into the black community. Not surprisingly, the Obama campaign has strenuously refused to comment on Wright's remarks. But top strategist David Axelrod reminded MSNBC viewers this morning that Wright was "out there doing his own thing." "It's a free country," he added. "But to the extent that people impute to Senator Obama words that are not his and sentiments that are not his, it's obviously not helpful."

The combative pose that Wright chose to strike is perhaps most damaging not to Obama's candidacy — although the candidate will surely endure yet another round of scrutiny regarding his relationship to the minister and his positions on Wright's views — but to Wright's own message. Because he is right when he says that most Americans don't understand the black church and that their resulting confusion and fear contributes to a racial divide.

Many Americans who were shocked by the clips of Wright's sermons have only known a Disney-fied version of the black church. We know about the good music, but don't listen to the lyrics of pain and suffering. We praise the rousing preaching without paying attention to the words. Civil rights leaders have become aging wise men revered for their inspirational sayings, not radical activists who preached truth to power. "There is so much more going on in black churches than gospel music," says Emilie Townes, professor of African American religion at Yale Divinity School.

The poster boy of the reimagined black church is Martin Luther King, Jr. "King said America suffered from a 'congenital disease' and that disease is racism," notes Eddie Glaude, Princeton professor of religion. He says that King's speech against the Vietnam War, delivered at Riverside Church in April 1967, was not a feel-good speech. "It was a passionate cry to speak to these enormous problems that were linked to America's imperialism and militarism, and what he saw as the evils of capitalism." By that point int his career, King had been banned from Lyndon Johnson's White House. The New York Times condemned his speech, running an editorial calling it "Dr. King's Error." And Barry Goldwater said King "bordered a little bit on treason."

But that King, the one who sounded a little bit like Jeremiah Wright, is not the one we remember every January. It's because the prophetic black church tradition has been filtered into an unthreatening form suitable for public consumption, so that it has been rendered, in Wright's word, "invisible." And it is because of that invisibility that Wright's sermons seemed so shocking and out of the mainstream. In reality, the two strands fit together — the unbearable optimism of "I Have a Dream" and the righteous anger of "I cannot be silent."

Wright acknowledged that fact when he ended his remarks at the Press Club by talking about the need for reconciliation. It is "where the hardest work is found for those of us in the Christian community," he said. The way in which he responded to questioning shows just how hard that work will be, both for Wright and his most famous congregant.

link

I have to say one thing. While I do disagree with Wright I think it is a bit of a cheap shot trying to tie him to Obama.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

I have to say one thing. While I do disagree with Wright I think it is a bit of a cheap shot trying to tie him to Obama.

He was his pastor for 20 years! If you disagree with the pastor, leave the church. Don't cry foul years later when his rhetoric surfaces.

That's BS and you know it. All you know about Wright are two or three tiny snippets that have been grossly ripped out of context. The shameless exploitation of those snippets to willfully destruct a good man is what's truly disgusting.