PalestineMyHeart

US fumes after Israeli UN envoy brands Carter 'a bigot'

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
U.S. fumes after Israeli envoy to UN brands Carter 'a bigot'

By Akiva Eldar, Haaretz Correspondent

Tags: Jimmy Carter, U.S., Hamas

The United States registered an official protest with Israel against its ambassador to the United Nations, Dan Gillerman, for calling former U.S. President Jimmy Carter an "enemy of Israel" prior to Carter's recent visit to the region.

A senior Foreign Ministry source said Saturday that the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv asked that Gillerman be made aware of the U.S. administration's dissatisfaction with the disrespectful comments about the former U.S. President.

In addition, the State Department is planning to issue a public statement condemning comments made by Gillerman at a press conference in New York on Thursday, where he called Carter a "bigot."

Carter, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, "went to the region with soiled hands and came back with bloody hands after shaking the hand of Khaled Meshal, the leader of Hamas," Gillerman told reporters. Gillerman also described the Carter-Meshal as "a very sad episode in American history."

Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni refused yesterday to respond to the demand by MK Yossi Beilin that Gillerman be recalled for his statements against Carter. Beilin described the ambassador's statements as "mad."

A Livni aide said that the foreign minister does not normally communicate with Israeli ambassadors through the media.

However, a Foreign Ministry source said that Gillerman is due to leave his post in the coming months, following five years at the UN.

The same source said that Gillerman's attack on Carter "surprised and embarrassed" Jerusalem, which contravened direct instructions from Livni to avoid comments on the former president.

Even though Israel's political leadership expressed its reservations at Carter's intention to meet with the Hamas leaders, the Foreign Ministry contributed to coordinating his meetings and emphasized that no decision was taken to boycott him.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/978126.html

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

I'm not fuming....Hopefully he'll get the idea, but I know he won't.....When you put yourself out there you have to deal with the consequences.

I'm sure that the administration and the State Department is just going through the motions but in private no doubt agrees with the harsh language.

miss_me_yet.jpg

Filed: Timeline
I'm not fuming...

Of course you don't. Not that it actually matters whether you do or don't. There are certain protocols that diplomats are to follow. The Israeli ambassador didn't and displayed very poor judgment when making the statement about the former US President. Any good diplomat wouldn't so any such thing. Not that you would be able to appreciate the concept but that's how the game is played. This guy deserves the protest of the US government over the inappropriate comments and the Israeli government would be well advised to recall the ambassador. He's clearly demonstrated that he isn't up the the job.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

The whole thing is a mess, OVER SOME LAND. Land is not worth dying for, but that is me. As I got older, war just never solves problems, we never learn. I like Carter, but he is going against the grain of big money that has ties in Israel, so of course they are going to attack him. I find war disgusting period, death of one human being is never worth it. There are some individuals have made major changes in history without violence, it can be done. EDUCATION, and not religious education, learn from all people. I find that if I have a problem with something I read as much as I can about the issues, BOTH SIDES PEOPLE, not just the side you agree on. FREE YOUR DAMN MIND.

martin-luther-king-ghandi.jpg

GANGI.jpg

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

I'm not fuming...

Of course you don't. Not that it actually matters whether you do or don't. There are certain protocols that diplomats are to follow. The Israeli ambassador didn't and displayed very poor judgment when making the statement about the former US President. Any good diplomat wouldn't so any such thing. Not that you would be able to appreciate the concept but that's how the game is played. This guy deserves the protest of the US government over the inappropriate comments and the Israeli government would be well advised to recall the ambassador. He's clearly demonstrated that he isn't up the the job.

You're absolutely right, this is just a matter of diplomatic protocol. Unfortunately, Jimmy himself ignores protocol most of the time as he consistantly interferes in other administrations by imposing himself in the manner by which he did in this instance.

Like I said, the administration and the State Department are going through the motions but in reality know the real cause of this diplomatic snafu is Jimmy, not the poor fellow that voiced his opinion in anger.

Is it something in the water, or perhaps somthing they're smoking, that encourages democrats to intercede into U.S. Foreign policy as Jimmy, Nancy P. and others have done in the past? :innocent:

miss_me_yet.jpg

Filed: Timeline
I'm not fuming...

You're absolutely right, this is just a matter of diplomatic protocol. Unfortunately, Jimmy himself ignores protocol most of the time as he consistantly interferes in other administrations by imposing himself in the manner by which he did in this instance.

Which protocol did he ignore? What particular infraction is he guilty of? Try and back up your statement with something of substance.