polskiya

TOURIST Visa B2-money maker for embassy?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Wales
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I love this website, maybe someone can relate....here is a story...happened a few weeks ago

A very good friend of mine (Brazilian citizen) recently had an interview in a US Embassy in Brazil for a B-2 Tourist visa to visit the USA, she is a curently employed in her city and does volunteer and paid work for a christian church and very terminally ill children, basically she is an angel, I think so!... :)

Anyway, she was "declined" the visa...

She is the following: is 30 yrs old,is engaged to be married to a wonderful christian man from Brazil..

a good job full time,makes above average pay in Brazil, a middle class citizen-good bank accounts/savings account-owns her own home-cares for her sick father-attends a university-

she brought all her documents to interview.....medical exams,title deed for home/property ownership,police report,background,the above mentioned documents....etc,etc,etc

She waited 3 months for interview,she paid for plane ticket to embassy, 400 miles,hotel stay, medical exams,police background,Citi bank deposit to Embassy for interview,various documents from her lawyer, spent about $1200 US total...

she shows up at 9am for 10am interview, did not get called until 12 o'clock, sat with about 150 other people in waiting area....interview officer was behind a glass barrier when her name was called..all for a 90 second interview that went like this..

..."what is your name" "how many times to USA" "you have relatives in US?" "who are you going to visit in US?"

answers ...she stated her full name-said,never been to US-said,no relatives in US- just friends/collegues in church, said,wants to see the country for vacation in US- all short,basic answers

embassy officers response after about 20 seconds, hesitates,---

"ok, here is a paper for you to read, your visa is declined"

my friends response to embassy officer was---

"sir, would you like to see my documents I have brought for interview?"

officer response--- "no, take this paper and go sit in your seat"

friends final response---- "may I ask why my visa was declined"

officer ---"no, please take this paper and go"

document from officer basically said---

"you may re-apply for tourist visa in 90 days" thank you .....

DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHY THIS HAPPENS? I have heard some similar stories.....this sounds awfully corrupt to me!!!!.is this a scam??? money maker????....ANY HELP/INPUT would be muito appreciated....

....thanks Polski...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Panama
Timeline
Hello everyone!

I love this website, maybe someone can relate....here is a story...happened a few weeks ago

A very good friend of mine (Brazilian citizen) recently had an interview in a US Embassy in Brazil for a B-2 Tourist visa to visit the USA, she is a curently employed in her city and does volunteer and paid work for a christian church and very terminally ill children, basically she is an angel, I think so!... :)

She is the following: is 30 yrs old,is engaged to be married to a wonderful christian man from Brazil..

a good job full time,makes above average pay in Brazil, a middle class citizen-good bank accounts/savings account-owns her own home-cares for her sick father-attends a university-

she brought all her documents to interview.....medical exams,title deed for home/property ownership,police report,background,the above mentioned documents....etc,etc,etc

She waited 3 months for interview,she paid for plane ticket to embassy, 400 miles,hotel stay, medical exams,police background,Citi bank deposit to Embassy for interview,various documents from her lawyer, spent about $1200 US total...

she shows up at 9am for 10am interview, did not get called until 12 o'clock, sat with about 150 other people in waiting area....interview officer was behind a glass barrier when her name was called..all for a 90 second interview that went like this..

..."what is your name" "how many times to USA" "you have relatives in US?" "who are you going to visit in US?"

answers ...she stated her full name-said,never been to US-said,no relatives in US- just friends/collegues in church, said,wants to see the country for vacation in US- all short,basic answers

DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHY THIS HAPPENS? I have heard some similar stories.....this sounds awfully corrupt to me!!!!.is this a scam??? money maker????....ANY HELP/INPUT would be muito appreciated....

....thanks Polski...

I hate to say this, but when it comes to visas, especially tourist visas, fate lies in the hands of the consulate officer giving the interview. I applaud your friend for being so prepared but from what I saw in your post the officer at the embassy thought she really didn't have a "good reason" to visit the US. Granted she has a lot of obligations tied to Brasil, (ie: her job, father, fiance etc) but in the end it's up to the officer to decide. I think she can file for an appeal, but since it's a B2 visa, I'm not sure. Does she have a "better" reason to visit the US? for example: go to a wedding, or visit a family or friend who is ill? I wish her the best......... some would say it's corruption, other would say it's just luck who interviews you, but tell your friend to try again in 90 days....

I wish you the best

-Mich ;)

AOS:

August 8, 2008: We're married!! (both the ceremony and legal wedding)

September 11, 2008: Got the marriage certificate in the mail!! 

September 20, 2008: Sent AOS packet (I-485, EAD, AP)

September 22, 2008: USPS confirmed delivery at LockBox

September 26, 2008: Check Cashed!! :)

September 25, 2008: Recv'd date on all NOA's 

September 30, 2008: Received all 3 NOA's: I-485, EAD, AP

Ocotber 10, 2008: RFE for I-485 (needed proof of citizenship for sponsor) :S

October 21, 2008: Biometrics @12 pm in Ft. Lauderdale~over and done with in 5min!!~

October 22, 2008: documents for RFE sent via Priority Mail

October 24, 2008: documents received at MO

November 6, 2008: Case transferred to CSC :D

December 10, 2008: EAD approved!! Card production ordered!

Dec. 15, 2008: Rec'd EAD and AP via mail.

March 2, 2009: AOS Approved

March 9, 2009: Green Card Received!!!

March 24, 2020: N400 submitted (online)

January 2021: notice stating no new Biometrics needed

April 15, 2022: Notice to Appear for interview and exam

June 4, 2022: Interview/Exam Day! 🥳

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hello everyone!

....thanks Polski...

I hate to say this, but when it comes to visas, especially tourist visas, fate lies in the hands of the consulate officer giving the interview. I applaud your friend for being so prepared but from what I saw in your post the officer at the embassy thought she really didn't have a "good reason" to visit the US. Granted she has a lot of obligations tied to Brasil, (ie: her job, father, fiance etc) but in the end it's up to the officer to decide. I think she can file for an appeal, but since it's a B2 visa, I'm not sure. Does she have a "better" reason to visit the US? for example: go to a wedding, or visit a family or friend who is ill? I wish her the best......... some would say it's corruption, other would say it's just luck who interviews you, but tell your friend to try again in 90 days....

I wish you the best

-Mich ;)

Because of your belief that there is corruption & a scam going on here I think you should tell her to write that down & submit it to them for review.

These officers are highly trained agents of the US government & not those of your country where corruption regins supreme.

This officers opinion was that she would not return to her country. Was he right? Probably not. But the track record for that country is not good.

I applied 3 tmes for a tourist visa from a different country for my wife & was denied each time. Was she going back ? Yes. But they didnt believe her or rather the system saud she would not. The Officer actualy told me " I believe everything you have said & all the documents are perfect but I can not give her a visa because we get so many liers".

Check the "strongest ties" rule & understand that almost no one can comply.

Lastly she should check again because I was told I could submit again a soon as the day after we were denied. They said I would be given the next appointment date they had. I did that & we were interviewed in about 2 weeks & denied again & then again.

I decided to get the freedoms that the USA offers as citizens for my wife & daughter so we wouldnt have to endure this catch 22.

In the end I applied for & got immigration visas instead of tourist visas.

It is not a matter of corruption;rather interpertation of U S law. Those laws are from 1952.

If your serious in your convictions get visas; come to the USA & get your Congressman to change the laws. Thats how our system works rather than by corruption that you live with.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hello everyone!

....thanks Polski...

I wish you the best

-Mich ;)

Because of your belief that there is corruption & a scam going on here I think you should tell her to write that down & submit it to them for review.

These officers are highly trained agents of the US government & not those of your country where corruption regins supreme.

This officers opinion was that she would not return to her country. Was he right? Probably not. But the track record for that country is not good.

I applied 3 tmes for a tourist visa from a different country for my wife & was denied each time. Was she going back ? Yes. But they didnt believe her or rather the system saud she would not. The Officer actualy told me " I believe everything you have said & all the documents are perfect but I can not give her a visa because we get so many liers".

Check the "strongest ties" rule & understand that almost no one can comply.

Lastly she should check again because I was told I could submit again a soon as the day after we were denied. They said I would be given the next appointment date they had. I did that & we were interviewed in about 2 weeks & denied again & then again.

I decided to get the freedoms that the USA offers as citizens for my wife & daughter so we wouldnt have to endure this catch 22.

In the end I applied for & got immigration visas instead of tourist visas.

It is not a matter of corruption;rather interpertation of U S law. Those laws are from 1952.

If your serious in your convictions get visas; come to the USA & get your Congressman to change the laws. Thats how our system works rather than by corruption that you live with.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hello everyone!

....thanks Polski...

Wait, why would she need a medical exam, police checks, and a lawyer to get a TOURIST visa? I'm confused.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Other Country: Wales
Timeline

....thanks Polski...

Wait, why would she need a medical exam, police checks, and a lawyer to get a TOURIST visa? I'm confused.

Everyone that replied to my email ..thanks...

answer to your question....the USA is very strict rules about who it gives visas too...she had to have medical,police,etc....her lawyer is a friend of the family, he helped her ...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Many countries have a very bad record - people overstaying or disappearing on tourist visas - the US consulates give one tourist visa out of 100 or 200 applicants - Colombia, Costa Rica are such countries - perhaps Brazil too. That said - if you have strong ties to your home country, good reason for going to USA and enough finances then you could get a visa - but no guarantees. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

I can perfectly understand your friend's frustration after speding US$1,200 for a tourist visa she did not receive. But I'm also curious to know why did she had a medical exam? and a police records? And most of all, what kind of documents did she need from a local lawyer? And what for? Seems to me like your friend wasted a lot of money on things that are not required when applying for a B-2 and failed to provide the important information. I.E. answering that the purpose of the trip is "vacationing" could be interpreted as a vague and uncertain answer for the CO who interviewed her.

Again, I'm sorry that your friend went through this. But IMO, it has nothing to do with corruption or that the Embassy wants to make money in an easy way. Your friend threw US$1,200.00 down the drain, mainly because she was misinformed.

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.