Karolina_033

Canadian marrying a US Citizen - K1?

63 posts in this topic

If you do this you will be with your husband, but for a short period of time. Lying to a goverment employee about why you entering the USA is illegal. They may not ever again let you back in if you ever decide to see someone for a couple of days and you may got to prison for 3-4 years and pay a fine. Dont risk doing this.

escudo.jpg

I-129F sent 3/28/2006

Noa1 received 4/5/2006

Noa2 received 4/15/2006

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Just get a K-1 less heartache in the end.

Read what happened to me by clicking on my name on the left and scrolling down to "Our Story"

I WASN'T planning on staying, Only marrying and then coming back to Canada but was still denied entry. Believe me its not worth it.

Oh my gosh raphael, i read your story and almost cried. So happy you finally made it!

To the OP, I understand you are going by the advice of your lawyer. I am not going to say I disrespect you for considering it because well, it was advice from a lawyer and you are new to the process and are still figuring it all out. I too was originally going to just go and get married due to advice I recieved.

Your lawyer is wrong though. All I can say to you is DO NOT chance it just because it seems like the easy way out! Your lawyer is telling you to directly lie to the USCIS about your intentions to marry. The fact that marriage has already been mentioned right there shows that your intentions would be not to visit. Do the K1 route, not only will it be the right way, but you will sleep better at night. Better to wait 6 months then to have a 10 year to lifetime ban.

If you are in love and really want to be together, I suggest you go about it the legal and "right" way. Why risk your future and life together by going about it ilegally? Is it really worth it?

Yes, people come as visitors, marry, and then apply for change of status, but they are taking a big risk.

In love? There's no love in this situation! None of her posts mention her husband, nor show any concern for his well-being. She only inquires about the different possible consequences if she gets caught!

To the OP,

I understand you are going by the advice of your lawyer. I am not going to say I disrespect you for considering it because well, it was advice from a lawyer and you are new to the process and are still figuring it all out. I too was originally going to just go and get married due to advice I recieved.

Your lawyer is wrong though. All I can say to you is DO NOT chance it just because it seems like the easy way out! Your lawyer is telling you to directly lie to the USCIS about your intentions to marry. The fact that marriage has already been mentioned right there shows that your intentions would be not to visit. Do the K1 route, not only will it be the right way, but you will sleep better at night. Better to wait 6 months then to have a 10 year to lifetime ban.

I just would like to see how blaming it on her atty., if she gets caught, is going to fly with the 'CIS Agency.

She knows it's fraud, she knows it's wrong and she knows it's risky. There's no way to justify her action by blaming on her atty's. advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

That is just not right.. tell your lawyer shame on him!! :angry:

(CHECK MY PROFILE INFORMATION FOR COMPLETE SIGNATURE)

August 19, 2006 VISA ON HAND!!!

September 5, 2006- POE @ SFO

September 8, 2006- Applied for SSN

SSN arrived more than a month after.. GRRR!!

November 8, 2006- MARRIED @ San Francisco City Hall

November 21, 2006- Received official marriage certificate

Dec. 19, 2006- sent out AOS

Jan. 3, 2007- Cashed cheques for AOS and EAD

March 15, 2007- AOS interview; APPROVED!!

March 23, 2007- Welcome letter/notice received from mail

March 27, 2007- GREENCARD

Sept 5, 2007 - my first anniversary in the U.S

Jan 30, 2009 - Mailed I-751 removal of conditional residence status

Feb 2, 2009 - Package mailed 10:22 AM at Laguna Niguel, CA (CSC)

Feb 5, 2009 - Check cashed

Feb 26, 2009 Biometrics

The Newlyweds: DJ and PRINCESS

watch clearer version[/color]

mylove.jpg

In love? There's no love in this situation! None of her posts mention her husband, nor show any concern for his well-being. She only inquires about the different possible consequences if she gets caught!

...I just would like to see how blaming it on her atty., if she gets caught, is going to fly with the 'CIS Agency.

She knows it's fraud, she knows it's wrong and she knows it's risky. There's no way to justify her action by blaming on her atty's. advice.

I dont think we have the right to tell her if she is in love or not. I have posted many things on here that havent included my husband.

Anyway we are only assuming she has decided to take this route. The only action she has taken is asking for a second opinion on visa website. She was only inquiring. Why does it have to turn into an attack?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

...I just would like to see how blaming it on her atty., if she gets caught, is going to fly with the 'CIS Agency.

I dont think we have the right to tell her if she is in love or not. I have posted many things on here that havent included my husband.

Anyway we are only assuming she has decided to take this route. The only action she has taken is asking for a second opinion on visa website. She was only inquiring. Why does it have to turn into an attack?

:thumbs: right you are my friend

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
Hello to all!

I've been advised by a well referred attorney not to apply for a K-1 Visa instead cross the US border as if I am visiting, marry while in the US, apply for change of status, (I-130 etc.) & to remain in the US while it gets approved. The attorney said they will not refuse our applications, etc. Of course I'm concerned with how this will be viewed - if viewed as fraud and if this will affect my approval for a green card. I was wondering what is your advise on this and why? He said he's had his Canadian clients do it all the time and they get approved.

Please help!

marilynn :unsure:

No problem. Just be honest with the Immigration official when you cross into the US. Tell him what your intent is, and he will appreciate the honesty. He will walk you thru the next step in the process.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

If she's even "considering" doing what her atty. told her to do, risking the possibility of jeopardizing the marriage maybe forever, I can't see any love in that.

Timeline

Agreed! Way too much attacking here for someone just trying to get some answers. She's being smart and questioning what her lawyer told her to do. Ya it was bad advice but it wasn't her fault she got told it, and you think you should be able to trust someone who is suppose to know what they are talking about! I'd be hesitating too on what to do if I was new to all this and was told the same. she's just looking for some answers, not to be attacked.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

You're right...there's been a lot of negativity to this thread....but you should also understand why it's there. There have been a lot lately who want to do things "the easy way" rather than go through this process the way all of us are doing. It's good that she's questioning, but at the same time it does sound as if she is considering this plan of action too, and that will get a backlash here on VJ. Those that have posted are frustrated with the system and this whole freakin process so I can sorta understand why its been so negative. :whistle:

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I do not see why it has to be negative. its not slowing down the process for anyone!! Actually speeding it up, less people in front of you. The OP knows what may happen if they find out she lied. The people that go the legal way can goto bed each night knowing they did it the correct way and won't be kicked out of the usa!! Knwing they can go hom ein a family emergency and legally return to the USA with no hassles!! Each their own. Can't spend ones lifetime getting upset over other people's actions. Blood pressure would sky rocket, lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Really they have no way of knowing if it was spur of the moment.These people will tell you you cant do that b/c they had to go the K1 route.We also had to go the K route for my Canadian wife.If we had to do it again we would of just got married here and then filed AOS.Save yourself alot of time an money.Kinda dumb if you ask me.Yes I want to get married in my mind,So I must file K1.If joe blow comes to the USA meets some bum and they get married thats ok..Just come get married and save money.

:angry: Hmph. Don't do it. If anything do the K-3 visa but don't go over there when you know you are breaking the law. Sorry but I lose respect for people who do that. It makes the rest of us look bad!!! Just my opinion.

Then loose resect.Then sut up about it.Like anything you say matters anyway to this couple.Hell come to Cali-Mexico.We have mexicans here (illegals) dancing in th streets wanting a green card.Atleast this persons fiance is American.Lets worry about the wet baks b4 we worry about the Canadians

Timeline
Really they have no way of knowing if it was spur of the moment.These people will tell you you cant do that b/c they had to go the K1 route.We also had to go the K route for my Canadian wife.If we had to do it again we would of just got married here and then filed AOS.Save yourself alot of time an money.Kinda dumb if you ask me.Yes I want to get married in my mind,So I must file K1.If joe blow comes to the USA meets some bum and they get married thats ok..Just come get married and save money.

:angry: Hmph. Don't do it. If anything do the K-3 visa but don't go over there when you know you are breaking the law. Sorry but I lose respect for people who do that. It makes the rest of us look bad!!! Just my opinion.

Then loose resect.Then sut up about it.Like anything you say matters anyway to this couple.Hell come to Cali-Mexico.We have mexicans here (illegals) dancing in th streets wanting a green card.Atleast this persons fiance is American.Lets worry about the wet baks b4 we worry about the Canadians

Part of the VJ Terms of Service is as follows:

Permitted Uses. You agree that you are responsible for any Content and communications that you Post and for any consequences thereof. You agree to use the Service (including but not limited to the discussion forums) only to send and receive messages, material, and in general Content that is “in conformity with or permitted by law” (legal), proper and if part of the discussion forums then also related to the particular subject matter. By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Service, you will not:

Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method.

You are suggesting that she goes to the US with the intent to marry. A K-1 Visa is needed for that. If she enters on a B2, she cannot enter with the intent to marry. A B2 is a tourist Visa.

Therefore, by suggesting that she enter with the intent to marry, on any visa other than a K-1, you are suggesting that she immigrates illegally, and therefore are in violation of the TOS.

Have a nice life.

Timeline

This is NO PLACE for Racism of ANY kind. :o:angry:

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.