~Laura and Nick~

Guys, I need a hug

102 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
It is not my case Krit,but i have seen quite a few friends in some situations like these so makes me wonder at times :wub:

i left a very good job to be with my USA spouse!! And there are other fellows on VJ that have done the same!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
It is not my case Krit,but i have seen quite a few friends in some situations like these so makes me wonder at times :wub:

i left a very good job to be with my USA spouse!! And there are other fellows on VJ that have done the same!!!

True, but you've gone on to a very noble career in a field that was unlike the one you had in Canada. I imagine that there might be more than a few folks here who have changed careers once they get below the 49th parallel.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

True, but you've gone on to a very noble career in a field that was unlike the one you had in Canada. I imagine that there might be more than a few folks here who have changed careers once they get below the 49th parallel.

I would take my job back in the Air force in an instant!! Loved it!! Was probably the best job I will ever have! Oh well

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I would take my job back in the Air force in an instant!! Loved it!! Was probably the best job I will ever have! Oh well

Adapt, improvise, overcome, sorry that's the Marine Corps. :lol: Ever fly on the vomit comets? I knew one RCAF guy who was doing studies on the physiology of Canucknauts and had to go up with them.

IR5

Filed: Timeline

Yeah, I feel the same way. Comparable positions for my area of expertise here in the US pay half of what I received in Canada..... without the benefits. I can't see me bustin' my butt for gratuitous monetary compensation. It was a sad sad day when I left my job. :(

iagree.gif

Timeline

Yeah, I feel the same way. Comparable positions for my area of expertise here in the US pay half of what I received in Canada..... without the benefits. I can't see me bustin' my butt for gratuitous monetary compensation. It was a sad sad day when I left my job. :(

Unfortunately, I know a quite a few folks who dicovered this after they went stateside. Some professions, on the other hand, have lucked out. I know of quite a few people in the healthcare field who are make two or three times what they would have made in Canada.

IR5

I didn't get the promotion.

Guess the universe doesn't want to confuse me more than needed.

I'm definately going and I'm excited about it.

Now it's just house hunting.

:)

Thanks for all the support.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Other Timeline

Things sorted themselves as they are usually wont to do.

Welcome to America....soon.

Things sorted themselves as they are usually wont to do.

Welcome to America....soon.

Thanks RJ, you made me smile so much by saying that. :star:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

that sucks but i am very happy u didnt got the promotion !

I, then, seriously need to congratulate you for your soon to come move south !!!!!!! :P

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Timeline

Sorry to hear that you didn't get it but it sucked donkeys anyways. Now you just have to deal with the shopping for a house in NJ not to mention the NJ devil with the red eyes and giant wings. I understand it is usually seen in Atlantic City. :devil:

IR5

Yeah I guess it's unusual to say that I am happy you didn't get the promotion, but I am sure everything is less confusing now :thumbs:

Now when is that interview date coming :D

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh wow Laura. I'm just reading this. :blush: I'm glad it has all worked out though and that you'll still be moving and that you are good with that. I hope the rest of your journey goes well!

IR-1 Visa

8-14-2007 Mailed in husband's I-130 to Consulate in Toronto

8-15-2007 Toronto received I-130

8-27-2007 Toronto called to set up I-130 appointment

8-31-2007 Interview at Consulate Approved

9-25-2007 Received Packet 3 in mail

12-9-2007 Received police record (fingerprint version)

1-18-2008 Sent packet 3 back

2-26-2008 heard back from Montreal via email about our interview date

4-23-2008 Montreal Interview!!! Visa APPROVED!!

5-31-2008 Crossed the border into the US to live! :) (one of the happiest days!!)

Currently residing in NC and loving it!

03/2011 Looking into getting dh US citizenship (and just when I thought we were done with all the paperwork! Ha!

US Citizenship timeline:

3-18-2011 Paperwork/check sent

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

7-02-2011 Oath Ceremony We're done!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have been following this thread and didn't have much to say that hadn't already been said.

Honestly, I am glad you didn't get the promotion. That isn't to say you didn't deserve it- it's only to say it makes your decision easier.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.