~Laura and Nick~

Guys, I need a hug

102 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Unless the promotion is a super-fantastic once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that you would never have attained other than by cosmic intervention then I would say follow through with the move to the US. Once you have completed the process and attained your PR card and/or citizenship, you can contemplate a move north. That way you have the flexibility of moving between countries, which you do not have at the moment.

Just a thought. -_-

YES!

I beat Krikit again! :jest:

:lol::bonk:

Good point krikit. Plus, if you decide to go with the Canada option at this point, although Nick can move there he won't be able to work for a while, which might make him crazy, then you will be married to a crazy man. :hehe:

(I actually put move 'here', then remembered i'm not in Canada anymore)

Edited by trailmix

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Laura,

Wow, you have a truck lot of troubles weighing on your mind. A virtual hugs is better than nothing - { (L) } haven't we all experienced those telepathic hugs via the internet. Immigrating to Canada is not as easy as some people might imagine:

1) No fiance visas - you must be married to sponsor your beloved.

2) It can take a long time - lots of folks here at VJ have given upon the coming to Canada immigration and decided that the K1 route is faster - go figure.

3) What part of NJ are you going to, I lived in NJ during junior and senior high and really liked the feel of the "Garden State."

4) You are a bright and bubbly person from all your posts, and I am sure you will have no difficulties forming new friendships in NJ. Generally speaking, men have more difficult forming strong male to male bonds (I said generally there are exceptions to the rule).

5) Do everything you can to be together in the near future - a job promotion is a wonderful experience , but there are advantages to living in the USA over Canada.

6) I wish people would realize that our health system is not free - most of us have to pay a monthly premium; either through our benefits at work, or directly to the province we live in. My fiance works for the IRS and was floored when he say how much I am taxed in relationship to US taxes. We Canadians pay for that "free" health care with our tax dollars, and highly also.

7) You are so close to the goal you and Nick have been preparing for - if you get the promotion stash away the extra cash to make your move to the USA the best possible.

These are only my 2 cents worth! I wish I was young like so many VJ's are and could look forward to many, many years together.

Janet aka Carslo

Thanks hon! :)

We researched moving to Canada before we researched moving to the States, so I know we'd have to be married first before he can come here, but he can live with me while we wait for his PR....which could take a LONG time, hence the need for me to have a good job because he can't work.

I've read of the people who have turned around and forgotten Canadian immigration, that sucks...just tells me it's probably more frustrating than moving to the U.S.

I love Jersey, I do. Parts of it are crazy, the traffic, the huge malls where it's like.."WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!?!" LOL Currently Nick lives in Bergen County. We are looking at Essex and Passaic because it's a tad cheaper than Bergen.

I do love the thought of being there.

This job, like Krikit mentioned, isn't anything omg amazing. It's still in retail. It's just the most responsibility I've ever had in a job and would be a very big accomplishment for me. At the same time...I don't know if it's something I want to do for a very long time.

I think you are right. If I get it, I get it...I'll just keep saving as I have been saving.

I'd have to start all over again and we are so close to the end.

If I find out today about the job, I'll just go with it and see how I feel.

You guys are the best!!!

Thanks so much...honestly, thank you.

(I actually put move 'here', then remembered i'm not in Canada anymore)

I do that ALL THE TIME

:lol::P

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

This may be hard to hear but there is the chance that you will get passed up for the promotion if your bosses know you're planning to move to the US........

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

This may be hard to hear but there is the chance that you will get passed up for the promotion if your bosses know you're planning to move to the US........

Oh completely Liz.

They don't know though. No one knows that I am planning on leaving.

Ashley, who is the HR manager is a friend of mine so she wrote me the letter when I visited, but she doesn't even know why I needed it.

If I get passed by, I get passed by. I'll figure it out.

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Laura, if it's any help to you, I'm going through the immigration process to Canada right now, as opposed to my wife coming here to the United States. We're not doing this because we think Canada is a better country (neither of us believe that; we view both on a equal playing field), but because the immigration process to Canada is somewhat easier and faster than the process to the United States. Our situation is also unique in many ways, given some interesting work scenarios.

However, we only plan to be in Canada for several years -- around five or so at the most. After that, the objective is coming down here to the U.S. and living here. We're looking at someplace in the pacific northwest (Washington state, Oregon, or northern California) since that would still be relatively close to Canada and her family, but within the U.S. as well. Texas has actually grown on her too and she likes it a lot now, but it's a long (and somewhat expensive) trip to BC, so that's her main opposition to it.

Overall, the Canadian immigration process asks for many of the same things as the U.S. one does and is just as full of red tape. The reason it might go a little faster is because there are generally fewer people immigrating to Canada on any given day. Canada, as a whole, has a much smaller population than the U.S., so it's probably not as difficult to work some of this out. It also lacks the problems with as many illegal immigrations coming into the country, since the only border it shares is with the U.S. and very few Americans are heading into Canada illegally.

It also lacks the problems with as many illegal immigrations coming into the country, since the only border it shares is with the U.S. and very few Americans are heading into Canada illegally.

except the criminals.

I watch Law & Order, I know what the truth is

TV wouldn't lie to me

Edited by liz_legend 'n Ol
vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Timeline
It also lacks the problems with as many illegal immigrations coming into the country, since the only border it shares is with the U.S. and very few Americans are heading into Canada illegally.

except the criminals.

I watch Law & Order, I know what the truth is

TV wouldn't lie to me

Well, technically speaking, if an American (or anyone other than a Canadian citizen/permanent resident) went into Canada as something other than visitor, they'd be a "criminal" since they'd be performing an illegal act. ;)

Laura, if it's any help to you, I'm going through the immigration process to Canada right now, as opposed to my wife coming here to the United States. We're not doing this because we think Canada is a better country (neither of us believe that; we view both on a equal playing field), but because the immigration process to Canada is somewhat easier and faster than the process to the United States. Our situation is also unique in many ways, given some interesting work scenarios.

However, we only plan to be in Canada for several years -- around five or so at the most. After that, the objective is coming down here to the U.S. and living here. We're looking at someplace in the pacific northwest (Washington state, Oregon, or northern California) since that would still be relatively close to Canada and her family, but within the U.S. as well. Texas has actually grown on her too and she likes it a lot now, but it's a long (and somewhat expensive) trip to BC, so that's her main opposition to it.

Overall, the Canadian immigration process asks for many of the same things as the U.S. one does and is just as full of red tape. The reason it might go a little faster is because there are generally fewer people immigrating to Canada on any given day. Canada, as a whole, has a much smaller population than the U.S., so it's probably not as difficult to work some of this out. It also lacks the problems with as many illegal immigrations coming into the country, since the only border it shares is with the U.S. and very few Americans are heading into Canada illegally.

Thanks so much for the info Deadpool.

I'll figure it out.

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Okay. Confusion sets in. Not that I don't enjoy your posts but shouldn't you be on roadtocanada.com? :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As others and yourself have said, you are so close to the end of the US process. One good thing is that if you guys did decide at that point to go back to Canada, he could apply for Canadian Permanent Residency while the two of your are living and working in the US. Then once you get it, you can both move back there together. No being apart and no waiting for one person to be able to work.

K1

------------------------------------

07.12.07 - I-129f petition mailed

07.13.07 - I-129f received by VSC

07.18.07 - NOA1 notice

07.20.07 - check cashed

07.22.07 - touch

11.29.07 - NOA2, waited 140 days

11.30.07 - touch

12.03.07 - NVC Received

12.05.07 - NVC Left

12.10.07 - Consulate Rec'd

12.13.07 - Packet 3 Rec'd

03.13.08 - Packet 3 sent back to Montreal

04.08.08 - eligible for interview

05.13.08 - Packet 4 Rec'd

06.02.08 - Interview!

06.09.08 - Visa in hand!

06.16.08 - move date, POE via Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY

06.20.08 - civil wedding

AOS

06.25.08 - AOS package sent

06.30.08 - received in Chicago

07.07.08 - NOA1 for 485 (AOS), 765 (EAD), & 131 (AP), rec'd in mail 07.14.08

07.09.08 - touch on all 3

07.10.08 - check cashed

07.28.08 - case transferred to CSC

08.02.08 - Biometrics

08.03.08 - touch on AOS

08.04.08 - touch on AOS & EAD

08.05.08 - touch on EAD

08.06.08, 08.07.08, 08.21.08, 08.22.08 - touch on AOS

09.03.08 - EAD approved!

09.04.08 - touch on EAD

09.05.08 - EAD card arrives in mail

09.06.08 - AP arrives in mail (no updates online or via email)

09.23.08 - touch on AOS

09.24.08 - welcome letter mailed

09.25.08 - touch on AOS

09.30.08 - AOS approved

10.01.08 - touch on AOS

10.04.08 - Green Card received

02.21.09 - "real" wedding in Montreal

As others and yourself have said, you are so close to the end of the US process. One good thing is that if you guys did decide at that point to go back to Canada, he could apply for Canadian Permanent Residency while the two of your are living and working in the US. Then once you get it, you can both move back there together. No being apart and no waiting for one person to be able to work.

So true sweetheart.

Thanks for being here :star:

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Timeline

Okay. Confusion sets in. Not that I don't enjoy your posts but shouldn't you be on roadtocanada.com? :lol:

I should, but that would mean I'd need to register with yet another community. I'm too lazy to do that. Besides, the people there aren't nearly as argumentative and I like fighting. :innocent:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.