KJS

Proof of being unmarried

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
My fiancee was very worried because her notarized certificate of being single wasn't going to come before we file the K1 Petition. I kept telling that I did not think we needed it for the I-129F. It wasn't until I told her that no such thing exists in the US, that there is no certificate of being single, that she finally "got" that it wouldn't be necessary for this step. (now later on, at the interview I think it will good that she got hers)

It just blew her mind that such a thing didn't exist here. She kept saying, "But how do you prove that you can get married."

"I don't know, you just swear that you can I guess."

Ha ha. (of course I'm sure background checks alleviate some of that concern on the governments part)

The time to get such a certificate when available is closer to the interview, at least close enough to be within the standards of the applicable Consulate. For instance, China prefers no more than six months. Three months or less is better.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline
My fiancee was very worried because her notarized certificate of being single wasn't going to come before we file the K1 Petition. I kept telling that I did not think we needed it for the I-129F. It wasn't until I told her that no such thing exists in the US, that there is no certificate of being single, that she finally "got" that it wouldn't be necessary for this step. (now later on, at the interview I think it will good that she got hers)

It just blew her mind that such a thing didn't exist here. She kept saying, "But how do you prove that you can get married."

Ha ha. (of course I'm sure background checks alleviate some of that concern on the governments part)

The time to get such a certificate when available is closer to the interview, at least close enough to be within the standards of the applicable Consulate. For instance, China prefers no more than six months. Three months or less is better.

Yeah, good catch. I think we will have to get it re-issued once we will get out of CSC and into the NVC.

She initiated the process of getting the certificate when we first started talking about the K1, thinking we would need it for the first submittal. At first I was baffled when she insisted that we needed this "certificate of being single." I had never heard of such a thing before. It took her a while to explain it to me. (her English and my Spanish not quite at fluency level yet). To my horror I thought she was talking about a divorce decree or some such. (Especially when she insisted that I needed one too!) Ha, ha. What good times being "lost in translation" can be.

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

CIS Office : Denver CO

Date Filed : 2008-12-04

NOA Date : 2008-12-11

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2009-01-06

Interview Date :

Approval / Denial Date :

Approved :

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received:

Comments :

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks again for all your comments. I was travelling back from Mexico and couldn't respond yesterday.

In response to a few -- of course, they are requesting this document because they doubt the relationship, in particular, because of our differences in age and economic status. We did, however, submit many other documents proving an ongoing relationship (letters of intent to marry, email, phone calls, trip receipts and pictures, etc.). I think this will be the last document we will need. At least, I hope so.

It was not indicated in our packet from the consulate, so apparently it is not always required. However, from other responses, it sounds like this is more common than I thought and I hope it will be added to the Visa Journey guidelines/suggestions to help others in the future.

Do you think he will have to go through another interview when he brings the document back to the consulate?

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi there Chuck and Teresa Here !!!! We did encounter the same issue in Juarez on April 16th !!!! Please read our Post !!! Howerever to make the long story short here !!! The Consulate officer asked us for the same documents to show we were not married !!! When we produced them Noterized with the states raised seal as well as emails from the goverment webiste and contacts of the person we talked to. Also we provided them with the goverment website of where thoes documents came from. The officer then stated well this Certified Certificate is worded wrong and he denied us anyhow with out looking or considering any of our other documents. It outrages me that you can Clearly be in a US Consulate and have a US goverment website with all the factuall eveidence and still they can deny you. Trust me this is not over for us !!!! So we are Praying that someone any one can help us or give us some type of insight of what to do next !!!! Also by the way we took photos of our engagement dinner with both of our families present and the consulate officer stated these photos appear that you are Married. The Consulate officer has Nothing but his Opion there is no Law to back his descisions or alligations. We hear all the time about safety and Homeland security but when one US goverment does not look up another US goverments website and people go off of opion and not on facts. How safe do we feel about Homeland Security THEN !!!! Thank you Chuck and Teresa

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline
My fiance and I had an interesting and frustrating experience today with his interview at the US consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. The agent was preoccupied with the fact that I (the woman) am older than him and that I make very good money. He ended up not approving the visa, but requesting that he go to his home state and get a registered certificate that he is not married.

This is not a problem, just wish we would have known earlier because now he has to go back to his home state, get the document, and make another appointment to come back and stand in the horrible lines in Juarez.

Is this something anyone else has had requested? I have used the very helpful visa journey guidelines throughout the process, but don't recall seeing this ever mentioned.

Hi there Chuck and Teresa Here !!!! We did encounter the same issue in Juarez on April 16th !!!! Please read our Post !!! Howerever to make the long story short here !!! The Consulate officer asked us for the same documents to show we were not married !!! When we produced them Noterized with the states raised seal as well as emails from the goverment webiste and contacts of the person we talked to. Also we provided them with the goverment website of where thoes documents came from. The officer then stated well this Certified Certificate is worded wrong and he denied us anyhow with out looking or considering any of our other documents. It outrages me that you can Clearly be in a US Consulate and have a US goverment website with all the factuall eveidence and still they can deny you. Trust me this is not over for us !!!! So we are Praying that someone any one can help us or give us some type of insight of what to do next !!!! Also by the way we took photos of our engagement dinner with both of our families present and the consulate officer stated these photos appear that you are Married. The Consulate officer has Nothing but his Opion there is no Law to back his descisions or alligations. We hear all the time about safety and Homeland security but when one US goverment does not look up another US goverments website and people go off of opion and not on facts. How safe do we feel about Homeland Security THEN !!!! Thank you Chuck and Teresa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.