tammy2688

MENA WOMEN: What kind of jobs are your husbands doing/looking into?

128 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
As an African-American I would love to go through life thinking as long as I show up and do the best I can that I have a legitimate shot at all jobs but it's just not the reality I live in and sadly it's not the reality that our MENA husbands will live in either. That's America. :)

Maybe one day I'll post the study that showed white males with criminal records got more call backs than minorities without criminal records. :whistle:

That study was very interesting. Thanks for posting. I have noticed since I changed my last name to my husband's name that people treat me differently. I have actually had people ask me if I am middle eastern based on my name even though I don't have middle eastern features or an accent. One guy joked today that I should have gone through a metal detector today before coming in his office.

Yeah I can imagine. I hope you rolled your eyes at his joke. :wacko:

Yes, I did roll my eyes. The comment came from a Mexican of all people, lol.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
As an African-American I would love to go through life thinking as long as I show up and do the best I can that I have a legitimate shot at all jobs but it's just not the reality I live in and sadly it's not the reality that our MENA husbands will live in either. That's America. :)

Maybe one day I'll post the study that showed white males with criminal records got more call backs than minorities without criminal records. :whistle:

That study was very interesting. Thanks for posting. I have noticed since I changed my last name to my husband's name that people treat me differently. I have actually had people ask me if I am middle eastern based on my name even though I don't have middle eastern features or an accent. One guy joked today that I should have gone through a metal detector today before coming in his office.

you shoulda thrown it right back and asked for his green card :lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

uh uh, I would've had to say, "OH NO YOU DIDN'T"! :wow::lol:

MY HOT ARAB HUBBY!!

dreamy_Riyad-2.jpg2615261345_a42ed1904a.jpg

No one tell the hubby! Oh wait I already told HIM! :)

Enroll in ESL Classes, we live in an arab community so classes are free. I like the going back to school idea you get a good pay rather than working your way up in years time.

بحبك يا حبيبي اكمني بهواك و بحس انك مني

5474201_bodyshot_300x400_1214598846979.gif

5474626_bodyshot_300x400_1214601075246.gif

Filed: Country: Libya
Timeline

My husband is trying to get into the oil industry since that's what he's experienced in but he hasn't had much luck yet.... it's hard to find a job right now if you DO have references in the US much less if you don't have any experience other than back home.

He's been lucky enough to make friends that own businesses so at least he hasn't been out of a job since he got here alhamdulillah.

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

We need a Ramadan!! (part one)

VP's Blog

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Sorry I've been busy with studying for finals and one final to go this week.

Yes they do things differently in Egypt. Doctors go through school by getting bachelors then masters then Ph.D.'s and their degrees are only recognized in the Gulf States from what I am told. So for Waleed to practice here he'd either have to go through the American Medical School which he says is pointless unless he can do accelerated courses because he's already done all that through his degree or he has to take the USMLE. He did get the cheaper version of the USMLE books you spoke about to study which he is doing currently while he is serving his military time. He plans to take step 1 and step 2. Through my brother I've meet a few other Egyptian Doctors here one is in Boise and one near Spokane and the have tried to help guide us as well. They didn't mention the one application thing. The one in Boise started his own cosmetic practice. The one is Spokane is part of a practice. Neither of them mentioned having to repeat a residency. In Egypt Waleed has already served his residency for three years which they call it "Doctors in Training". So I don't know how that all transfers and works out.

The Ph.D. is the highest the Doctors in Egypt can go and coming here for their Ph.D. is like a fellowship here. Ghada's Husband served something like a year at John Hopkin's in Baltimore as a practicing Doctor in Orthopedic Surgery. Ghada is going for her Ph.D in Cardiology. I know it sounds funny compared to our American system. They call it their PhD we call it a Fellowship or Residency or Clinical. It's just part of what they do with their program.

Thanks for the information though that really helps a lot!

For Olivia and Donna:

My husband is a doctor and graduated from medical school just a few years ago. Due to the situation in his home country he couldn't really do his residency though he has done some interning through a hosptial outside of Iraq. He has started studying for steps 1 and 2, we know about 3 though we worry about the first two now. I bought a couple books he can use when he gets here, but any suggestions you both have would be great. My husband's english is excellent and his whole medical school was in english, so I am not worried about that part. I just worry about what kind of work he should do until he is ready to take the tests and until he can start a residency.

well he will probably just have to take whatever he can until he can get into a residency. hassan couldnt get any job. he begged for a job at a sleep clinic and they told him...we wont hire u cuz u will just leave and we cant invest time in training u and then u leave. he applied at some factories and never got called. they probably just laughed at his application and said ####### is a doctor appling for a job for.

he did do an observership for 6 months in the hospital he is in now. he hoped it would help him in getting a job there. well it didnt. they wouldnt hire him. so he just kept going and begging and the program director said...ok ill interivew u but i doubt u will get hired. ur scores are under what we allow. well of course he didnt match and it was his only interview so we were loosing hope. one week before the starting date for all new interns they called and said he was hired...dont know what the sudden change of heart was...maybe cuz someone they hired didnt show up or maybe cuz the program director was dieing of cancer and wanted to do something nice...but who cares..he got hired!!!

its probably best for him to get his study materials there. they are a heck of alot cheaper then here. i think kaplin has a good study program. they get the same book there as we get here only theirs is the knock off version. u know someone buys the book and copies them to sell.

im not sure (i didnt check ur timeline) but make sure he brings all his documents from the college...i dont know what they are called but look like a report card to me. any letter of recomdations, his deploma of course. i cant remember what else he had to have.

Thank God he brought all his documents from school with him when he left Iraq and it is all stamped and certified. I'm half-way thinking it is better he doesn't mention he went to medical school so he can get a job. Since he is coming as a refugee, they will get him a temporary job in the beginning regardless, but in the long term it may help to not mention his schooling. He doesn't have his masters yet, but from what I understand that is not necessary to start out. I bought him a book called "First Aid for the USMLE step 2 CK". Do you know if this book will be helpful?

im sure that will be good. they probably all are about the same. the problem is by leaving out he was in medical school they will want to know what he did with all his time. there will be a lapse of time that they will think he did nothing. so i dont know what the best thing to do is. i guess getting into some kind of research looks good on a resume for when he applies to residency programs. problem is they dont usually pay.

im starting to figure out what olivia is talking about now. ur sister in law is coming here to college for her PHD and not a residency at a hospital? is that correct? she is probably getting a PHD in science or whatever her masters is in. i dont think u get a PHD in cardiology. thats just her profession. this is why im getting confused on applications for residency. totally different subject. she will just be coming for a degree and not a job in cardiology.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

Oh I am sorry I just verified with him that they do their residency during their masters. He heard from Ghada and Mahmoud that in Baltimore the residency pays better but they don't recognize the residency from abroad.

Waleed: here

Waleed: there is the medical school

Waleed: after the high school

Waleed: study for 6 years

Waleed: and then finish with the training

Waleed: to complete them all to 7 years and a half

Waleed: after that you are graduated as a G.P.

Waleed: and the degree you have is the B.b.Ch

Waleed: and during this residency

Waleed: you work on the Masters

Waleed: within 3-5 years

Waleed: they don't recognize the residency from abroad

Olivia: what is the B.b.Ch?

Waleed: it is like

Waleed: the scientific degree for the schools with the (non academic) study

Waleed: like medicine

Waleed: pharmacy

Waleed: engineer

Waleed: Bachelor

Waleed: it is the bachelor of internal medicine and surgery

Waleed: "in general"

Waleed: after that

Waleed: you pick a specialty

Waleed: and work on your Masters

Waleed: The degree is recognized outside of Egypt in

Waleed: All arab and African countries

Waleed: except South Africa

Waleed: i think

Olivia: and not in the US?

Waleed: nop

Waleed: if it is recognized then i would be able to work directly and not have to take the USMLE.

Edited by Olivia*

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

Educatrional Commission for Foregin Medical Graduates

Hey S and S my Husband just gave me this link he's following for guidance. Maybe it will help you as well. I don't know how much it will help you Donna since you're Husband is already ahead of us in the Doctor process but thank you so much for your guidance!

For Olivia and Donna:

My husband is a doctor and graduated from medical school just a few years ago. Due to the situation in his home country he couldn't really do his residency though he has done some interning through a hosptial outside of Iraq. He has started studying for steps 1 and 2, we know about 3 though we worry about the first two now. I bought a couple books he can use when he gets here, but any suggestions you both have would be great. My husband's english is excellent and his whole medical school was in english, so I am not worried about that part. I just worry about what kind of work he should do until he is ready to take the tests and until he can start a residency.

well he will probably just have to take whatever he can until he can get into a residency. hassan couldnt get any job. he begged for a job at a sleep clinic and they told him...we wont hire u cuz u will just leave and we cant invest time in training u and then u leave. he applied at some factories and never got called. they probably just laughed at his application and said ####### is a doctor appling for a job for.

he did do an observership for 6 months in the hospital he is in now. he hoped it would help him in getting a job there. well it didnt. they wouldnt hire him. so he just kept going and begging and the program director said...ok ill interivew u but i doubt u will get hired. ur scores are under what we allow. well of course he didnt match and it was his only interview so we were loosing hope. one week before the starting date for all new interns they called and said he was hired...dont know what the sudden change of heart was...maybe cuz someone they hired didnt show up or maybe cuz the program director was dieing of cancer and wanted to do something nice...but who cares..he got hired!!!

its probably best for him to get his study materials there. they are a heck of alot cheaper then here. i think kaplin has a good study program. they get the same book there as we get here only theirs is the knock off version. u know someone buys the book and copies them to sell.

im not sure (i didnt check ur timeline) but make sure he brings all his documents from the college...i dont know what they are called but look like a report card to me. any letter of recomdations, his deploma of course. i cant remember what else he had to have.

Thank God he brought all his documents from school with him when he left Iraq and it is all stamped and certified. I'm half-way thinking it is better he doesn't mention he went to medical school so he can get a job. Since he is coming as a refugee, they will get him a temporary job in the beginning regardless, but in the long term it may help to not mention his schooling. He doesn't have his masters yet, but from what I understand that is not necessary to start out. I bought him a book called "First Aid for the USMLE step 2 CK". Do you know if this book will be helpful?

im sure that will be good. they probably all are about the same. the problem is by leaving out he was in medical school they will want to know what he did with all his time. there will be a lapse of time that they will think he did nothing. so i dont know what the best thing to do is. i guess getting into some kind of research looks good on a resume for when he applies to residency programs. problem is they dont usually pay.

im starting to figure out what olivia is talking about now. ur sister in law is coming here to college for her PHD and not a residency at a hospital? is that correct? she is probably getting a PHD in science or whatever her masters is in. i dont think u get a PHD in cardiology. thats just her profession. this is why im getting confused on applications for residency. totally different subject. she will just be coming for a degree and not a job in cardiology.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.