tammy2688

MENA WOMEN: What kind of jobs are your husbands doing/looking into?

128 posts in this topic

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Sereia, if your husband takes the PE test (professional engineer) here in the USA, it may help.

I found a link that can describe it.

http://www.ncees.org/exams/professional/pe...nical_exams.php

my husband is a mechanical engineer and can't get an interview here in america for the life of him! every job he's sent his resume to doesn't call back. i think just taking any job, going to more school, then looking again after might give him a better chance.

a friend of mine from morocco who moved to the US 32 years ago (things are different now, i know) went to school starting at high school even was a college graduate from morocco....and now he's the vice president of a bank (making bank!lol) so it can happen. i suggest putting all your husbands back in school here and see what happens!

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

thanks nutty. only thing i worry about taking those kinds of tests are his english reading/writing skills. his speaking is fine, but the other two are ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! i guess it can't hurt to try it! :) i assume he can take it again if he fails because of his language. (checking)

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Abdel has been here for 2 1/2 years and is still doing manual labor. He studied to teach French in Morocco, but quit school a year before graduation so he can't teach here. My spanish professor is the director of foreign language for our county and he would hire him if he had that diploma. They are so short on teachers here that they hire and then let them take about 3 years to get their teaching certification. But, they do have to have a degree, even foreign.

Abdel had worked up to lead man with the contractor he was working for at the sugar refinery and was trying to get a permanent position there when it exploded in February, so now he is having to start at the bottom again. Since there are a lot of others unemployed too due to the explosion, jobs are scarce and the pay has dropped. Right now he's temping in a warehouse putting boxes onto pallets. He comes home worn out from working like a dog all day.

I'm trying to get him back in school but to finish his French would require a drive of over an hour to the nearest university that offers a degree in that and he'd have to just about start over because the cirriculum is structured so different from Morocco. He was looking at the Electrician program at our technical school, but has dragged his feet on getting signed up for classes.

He's really hoping I get a job in Europe with the company I work for so we can move somewhere out of the US. We're definitely planning to move out of the US as soon as I can find a job somewhere else. I currently make 2 1/2 times what he can make here right now and since I graduate next week, hopefully I can do even more than that. Also, if the company I work for moves me overseas, they pay all moving costs including shipping our stuff, getting our work visas, and visits home to see my family.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Abdel has been here for 2 1/2 years and is still doing manual labor. He studied to teach French in Morocco, but quit school a year before graduation so he can't teach here. My spanish professor is the director of foreign language for our county and he would hire him if he had that diploma. They are so short on teachers here that they hire and then let them take about 3 years to get their teaching certification. But, they do have to have a degree, even foreign.

Abdel had worked up to lead man with the contractor he was working for at the sugar refinery and was trying to get a permanent position there when it exploded in February, so now he is having to start at the bottom again. Since there are a lot of others unemployed too due to the explosion, jobs are scarce and the pay has dropped. Right now he's temping in a warehouse putting boxes onto pallets. He comes home worn out from working like a dog all day.

I'm trying to get him back in school but to finish his French would require a drive of over an hour to the nearest university that offers a degree in that and he'd have to just about start over because the cirriculum is structured so different from Morocco. He was looking at the Electrician program at our technical school, but has dragged his feet on getting signed up for classes.

He's really hoping I get a job in Europe with the company I work for so we can move somewhere out of the US. We're definitely planning to move out of the US as soon as I can find a job somewhere else. I currently make 2 1/2 times what he can make here right now and since I graduate next week, hopefully I can do even more than that. Also, if the company I work for moves me overseas, they pay all moving costs including shipping our stuff, getting our work visas, and visits home to see my family.

Check online degree programs as well to finish his degree.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Timeline
Check online degree programs as well to finish his degree.

Are there any good ones that someone could recommend? I know there are a lot of scams out there and would prefer one that someone can give me first-hand knowledge of the quality.

It's hard to say cause there are so many things to consider. One of the easiest factors to use to judge an online program though is whether or not they have a real campus. Many campus based universities also have online programs. Those are good ones to start with. In NYS, there are also two online programs that are based for working adults Empire College and Excelsoir College. They have quality, respected programs. The specifics of what you are looking for probably requires research on your part to find what would be best for you. But it's a good and viable option to complete or continue education. You also want to find an accredited program, but you probably knew that already.

AOS

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Timeline
is it possible to do online uni without having to go into a campus for tests? or are those the shady ones?

It's possible. Depends on what you are doing. Don't expect to do a practical nursing degree online and it be a valid degree. But a romance language is definitely a possibility. If the program is accredited by a national accrediting body then you are on the safer side.

AOS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Abbas is a chemical engineer with a sub specialty in petroleum and gas.

I want him to follow his engineering career here in the USA. However, not if we have to move to some ####### area to pursue this. Like out in the middle of Texas.

Abbas, knows that chemical engineering is the best way to make some money. But his dream is to pursue skulpture and painting. He wants to open some sort of business doing base relief skulpture on people's houses. What he does not realize, this may be popular in Iran.but it would not work for houses made of wood (like the ones here in Portland, OR). It may work in New Mexico because they have a lot of adobe style buildings.

I try to encourage him to follow his dreams, but I also want him to realize that it will take baby steps.

Many foreigners think that life in USA is easy and that jobs and money fall from the trees. But that is not the case.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
Our lawyer in Morocco came once to New York and tried to get into it here. He said it was not easy at all. He eventually gave up and went back to Morocco. I think the problem he had was the language.

I feel really bad for immigrants that come from a highly educated back ground. They get here and pretty much have to start at ground zero. It's not easy.

I agree some might have to start all over. But not all. My husband got a job in his field right away(computer programmer/systems analyst). It really matters what field. He happens to be in a very in demand/good paying field. So I guess it matters where you move to and what you do.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Husband is an english teacher in Kuwait, where do you live, that would be good for Hesham, but he is thinking of trying to do something else, he is not sure he would like to teach in America.

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hubby is studying for the USMLE (United States Medical License Equivalent) which after he passes the second part he can start practicing medicine here for a reduced rate then if he passed all three parts. His sister who is a cardiologist came to the US last year with her Hubby who is an orthopedic surgeon and she passed the first part of the USMLE and has some prospects at various institutions in the US already. So she is working on her paper work to come back here later this year or early next year for one of those prospects.

Since her Husband already did a fellowship at John Hopkins this is a good example for her and Waleed. Waleed is also looking for a fellowship or a clerkship to parley him into a group of professionals to give him some experience and some contacts and possibly start a medical business with them when the time comes. I'm sure we'll be fine but only time will tell.

After he passes the exams and is secured in a good job practicing medicine he says we can start a family.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.