bluegreen

Heinz Baked Beans

127 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Black pudding was my Mom's favourite breakfast! She always got it from the local "Scottish shop" and whenever her sisters visited, they would all settle in for a good helping of black pud. I never really took to it, but what I miss and would love to find is good finnan haddie! Yum! haven't had that since I left Kingston, Ontario where the same Scottish shop Mom went to sold it. I've had other smoked fish since, but it is just not the same.

Ohhhhhh. I TOTALLY miss a good finnan haddie. :( I've found they have the tinned kippers here. I like to put them in my fish/seafood chowder. The fish and the broth really provides an added boost. :thumbs:

The place my DF and I were staying at last week gave a big slab of haggis with the breakfast. I tried to eat it...but well it just wasn't setting well with me.

I don't mind black pudding as much, but give me blueberry pancakes any day!

Meh, beans on toast is alright. I've had it like...twice. Totally edible and good if you're hungry. Think it is ingrained probably. I love Chef Boyardee spaghetti sandwiches for god's sake, who would I be to talk :P

I actually have been procrastinating not doing my essay for awhile and just came across this recipe beans sandwich

baked beans, onion, tomato, cheese and bacon on english muffins :P Hey it's got a five star rating, I bookmarked the dang thing :D

FYI I went by the store today and Harris Teeter here DOES have Heinz brand (love the purdy color of the can). I think it was like $2.80ish whereas Van Camp's was like 80 cents. Screw that. Thought maybe it'd be cheaper here in the south but noooos.

Don't feel bad...like like to put peanut butter on my grilled cheese!

wtf-picard.jpg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay all you Brits. I am sure this has been discussed at length in the UK forum, but my search turned up discussions 6 pages long and my baked bean craving will not allow me enough time to go through all of them to find my answer. You guys love talking about food.

Being Canadian of British parents I have grown up on Heinz beans, and so today, with my husband away on business, I decided what I needed was beans on toast for dinner (husband detests them). So I go down to Safeway for the express purpose of purchasing a tin for my dinner only to discover they don't HAVE them. That's insanity. Do they not have them at all except specialty shops for lots of extra $$?? Or can they be found at SOME select mainstream shops?? Please don't tell me I might have to order tins of beans online or something.

I wish I had known about this before I had moved!!! We would still be in Canada! :o

Where should I look?? I'm in Boulder, CO if that helps:)

THANKS!!!!

Hey bluegreen,

If you are really desperate (or in Denver sometime), they definitely have them at my local Safeway:

SAFEWAY

9160 W. Colfax

Lakewood, CO 80215

They turned up just recently and we were quite excited. They also have Marmite and Weetabix there. Another good place to look is:

http://www.houseofwindsor.net/

They have a local shop here in Lakewood which sells all manner of British food and we go to sometimes.

Best of luck,

Hoopla :)

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : Nebraska Service Center

Date Filed : 2007-04-16

NOA Date : 2007-04-19

Bio. Appt. : 2007-05-25

RFE(s) : 2008-04-12

Were transferred from Nebraska to California Service Center in April 2008 (after a year of nothing) and received RFE a couple weeks after that. Original submission was immaculate and extensive, so RFE baffles the mind!

Okay, apparently, my husband tells me the beans we got at our Safeway (which were Heinz and look just like the ones he would get in England, which he excitedly bought when we saw Safeway selling them) tasted nothing like the ones from England and were too sweet *grin* I stand corrected. Anyway, House of Windsor is another possibility, and my husband did say the have the Proper Beans for sure at the Cost Plus World Market down in our area at least. There is one in Boulder as well you might try:

1685 28th Street Boulder, CO 80302

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : Nebraska Service Center

Date Filed : 2007-04-16

NOA Date : 2007-04-19

Bio. Appt. : 2007-05-25

RFE(s) : 2008-04-12

Were transferred from Nebraska to California Service Center in April 2008 (after a year of nothing) and received RFE a couple weeks after that. Original submission was immaculate and extensive, so RFE baffles the mind!

Okay, apparently, my husband tells me the beans we got at our Safeway (which were Heinz and look just like the ones he would get in England, which he excitedly bought when we saw Safeway selling them) tasted nothing like the ones from England and were too sweet *grin* I stand corrected. Anyway, House of Windsor is another possibility, and my husband did say the have the Proper Beans for sure at the Cost Plus World Market down in our area at least. There is one in Boulder as well you might try:

1685 28th Street Boulder, CO 80302

Thanks! I did find them at world market on 28th st.(you can read all about this exiting shopping trip upthread), but sad to say I was there yesterday and they do not have them now - must be a once in a while thing. So I am going to maybe try some of the online places suggested here - thank you!

Concurrent I-130 and AOS

Nov 30 2007 - I enter US as a tourist to spend the ski season with my sweetie and figure out what we both want outta life - we plan on ending up in Canada, but...

Jan 30 2008 - We get married in Vegas! We decide to stay in the US.

Feb 08 2008 - File I-130, I-485, AP and EAD

Feb 11 2008 - Package arrives in Chicago

Feb 19 2008 - Receive NOA 1 for everything except I-485. NOA date Feb 15th

Feb 19 2008 - Touch I-130, AP, EAD

Feb 21 2008 - Receive I-485 NOA 1. NOA Date Feb 15th

Feb 22 2008 - Receive Biometrics notice, dated Feb 20th, for appointment March 11th

Feb 27 2008 - Walk in to Denver field office and have Biometrics taken early as the 11th March I'll be away

Apr 16 2008 - EAD card production ordered

Apr 16 2008 - AP approval sent

Apr 21 2008 - AP received in mail

Apr 21 2008 - EAD card production email received again - strange

Apr 24 2008 - EAD card approval notice sent email

Apr 26 2008 - EAD card received

May 03 2008 - Interview notice received -June 27th

May 22 2008 - Touch on I-485

June 09 2008 - I-130 finally shows up online and shows a touch that day, so does I-485

Jun 27 2008 - Interview - approved, stamped, received card production email. Ya-hoo!!!!

July 10 2008 - Card received

Total time from filing - approval: 4.5 months

MOVED TO SAN DIEGO!!

Lifting of Conditions

June 11 2010 - Package mailed

June 16 2010 - NOA date

July 2 2010 - Bio letter received - July 27th date

July 9 2010 - Early biometrics walk in San Marcos CA

Sept 16 2010 - Card production ordered

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Whenever I think if Heinz Baked Beans I think of that picture of Roger Daltrey from The Whol Sell Out. It really hasn't done anything for me in regards to the image of Heinz Beans.

B000002OX5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by ginger1981
wtf-picard.jpg

Bluegreen, if you are ever in Denver/Aurora area you might like to try here:

http://www.englishteacup.com/cupboard.html

Their website isn't very helpful, but it's a place that I want to go to if we get over the Rockies at some point.

We are on the Western slope and we have no World Markets, none of our supermarkets sell any Brit stuff whatsoever :crying: So, whenever we visit other States we do a search for international foods....we have been lucky so far and the best one we have found is the International Market in Las Vegas, when we go there we stock up on Heinz beans, Bisto gravy granules (can't believe this hasn't made it over the pond), Vegemite and of course all the Cadburys chocolate, Turkish Delight and loads of mint Aero's (Hubby's hooked on them).

My only gripe is the high price we have to pay, but to me it's worth it!!!

Jen

Edited by ladybird216

Removing of Conditions Timeline

05/29/2007 - Sent package to NSC

05/31/2007 - Package received by NSC

06/01/2007 - Date on NOA (1 day after they received our package!)

06/11/2007 - NOA and Biometrics notice received via snail-mail

06/21/2007 - Biometrics taken

04/03/2008 - Transferred to CSC

05/14/2008 - Approved (notified via email)

05/21/2008 - Card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.