flavaofsummer

if ur case is 50/50 will being confident help

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

lets say ur case has a 50/50 chance of being granted due to over staying outside usa but u still have that 50% chance they will grant it..will confidence and talking positively help? does that make any impression? what if i cry and look scared will that help or make it worse cuz im scared and seriously might cry and look scared? what should i do and not do? what r the do's and dont's in this situation? im a female incase u think the mans gona cry lol

50/50?

The law and regulations discuss the eligibility requirements in fairly clear detail. They try to be clear enough so that there's nobody on the borderline. Either you meet the eligibility requirements or you don't. There is also a body of case law and decisions that help clarify the application of the law to specific situations.

If you really believe your case is one of those that's ambiguous enough where you think you have a 50/50 chance of being approved, I'd urge you to find a good immigration attorney with experience in the area where your case is ambiguous. By understanding the law and the way it's been applied to cases like yours in the past, a lawyer may be able to clarify for you that your case is not 50/50 but more like 98/2 or something like that. Regardless, having someone experienced and competent to help argue your case is probably much more important than whether you cry in front of the officer.

Confidence can't hurt. But it's best if it's confidence that comes from knowledge of your case circumstances, knowledge of the law and regulations, and knowledge of how the two have combined in past cases similar to yours.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
lets say ur case has a 50/50 chance of being granted due to over staying outside usa but u still have that 50% chance they will grant it..will confidence and talking positively help? does that make any impression? what if i cry and look scared will that help or make it worse cuz im scared and seriously might cry and look scared? what should i do and not do? what r the do's and dont's in this situation? im a female incase u think the mans gona cry lol

Not to be mean, but I think you're a fool if you think that crying and looking scared is going to help your case. How many people have begged and pleaded to stay in the US and the officers are not moved - what are you doing???...a citizenship application. You're allowed to be here as an LPR, but if you don't play by the rules on travel, you give up your right to be considered as eligible for citizenship during the time period prior to your application.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, who spends money on the application knowing that they're out of status, due to international travel, is just throwing that money away to the US government without hope of seeing it again. Citizenship isn't so much a right as it is a priviledge...although you do have the right to apply following certain conditions. If you abuse that priviledge, by attempting to apply when you shouldn't, you really have no recourse if they deny your case. I am pretty positive, based on other cases I've read about, that they will deny citizenship if your travel has been too lengthy and they will let you know that you have to reapply when you're back in status.

Good luck...you surely will need it. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Edited by Staashi

Filed: Timeline

what i mean is that i do qulify if i didnt they wouldnt have accepted my application. i mean like u know sometimes even if u have everything right they stil can deny u on what they think just based on how they judge u they can deny u. my case qulifies but im just paranoid about what they will say.. and just to let u know there is 50/50 in everything even when u apply cuz its entirely up to them what they decide. u can be right or wrong.

Hey,

Quick question, you overstayed outside of the US? or did you overstay in the US? just trying to understand since I too overstayed but in the US?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Hey,

Quick question, you overstayed outside of the US? or did you overstay in the US? just trying to understand since I too overstayed but in the US?

This topic is posted to citizenship forum, so I assume they are asking about US residency requirements needed to naturalize.

If they had overstayed a visa to the USA sometime in the past, that had to be handled before getting the green-card, it does not affect naturalization.

If they are denied naturalization, it does not mean that they will also lose green-card, they can always apply again for naturalization when residency requirements are met.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The only thing that will work is having damn good proof that you didn't break your continuous residency while you were gone and that you were still maintaining ties to the US. Even something simple as working in another country is considered breaking your residency. So you need to have a really solid case to prove to them that you maintained it. Cry all you want, either you broke it or you did. You might want to save the tears for after in case you are denied rather then in the interview where they are immune to that sort of ploy...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.