feejo

Catholic wedding where do I "Apply for marriage certificate"

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My gf talked to the deacon, and he said if we marry at court we can't have a mass for our wedding. I guess I can forget about the court and marry directly to church. If the immigration ask later for a court thing I will give church paper then.

Edited by feejo

My gf talked to the deacon, and he said if we marry at court we can't have a mass for our wedding. I guess I can forget about the court and marry directly to church. If the immigration ask later for a court thing I will give church paper then.

First, We married in the court. About 9 months later, we had Catholic wedding in the church, inclusive of a mass.

Peace,

MarkNAAm

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

• 7 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe the Catholic diocese in Georgia is different (hopefully), but here in New Jersey the Catholic church will not do a quickie marriage.

First, it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to find a Catholic church to get married in unless you have been a member of that specific parish for at least one year. It's the rules, they just won't allow it. Even if that is the church you will be living near and attending as a married couple. You cannot walk in off the street and ask to be married there. The reason always given is that the many marriage requests made by parish members fill the time slots and prevent them from accomodating others. The only time they make an exception is if it happens to be the church you or your SO were baptized in. Then they make an exception. Usually.

Second, you must attent their premarital counselling program, called Engaged Encounter. It is either one solid weekend long, or one hour a week for like eight weeks.

Third, 'freelance' Catholic priests are virtually non-existent. Meaning, you can't find one who will just come and officiate you wedding somewhere. If you do find one, he is more than likely on the verge of being told to resign for some sort of infraction.

So... I advise having a civil ceremony within the 90 day window, then planning a church wedding later on. Though I'm betting the Catholic church isn't keen on that either, since you would technically be living in sin prior to the Catholic ceremony.

(Can you tell my failed first marriage was in a Catholic church... and that I'm not Catholic?)

My priest told me that in cases where immigration and other administrative things require it, one can get the civil license. But both man and woman do not act as though they are married at all. It's not even supposed to be treated like a marriage, because marriage in the Catholic church only happens once and before God, with a priests in proper standing officiating it.

I agree that It certainly can be tricky dealing with the steps of civil and the church. However, I think the requirement to be a parish member makes sense. In theory, a practicing Catholic should be registered and actively attending mass in the least. Many Catholics are cultural catholics (born and raised in the faith, but NOT necessarily as adult taking on and living in the fullness of the faith). They and their catholic or non catholic partner get married in the church more for cultural reasons (ie catholic peron's parents insist on it, or the engaged couple like the pretty church) .

The couple that gets the civil certificate will not be living in sin if they still act and live as unmarried persons.

Sept 9 2016: AOS mailed (485, 131, 765)

Sept 19th : Received at lockbox [Day 0]

Sept 27th : Text message notification from USCIS & Fingerprint Fee received [Day 8]

October 3rd : NOA1 hardcopy for all 3 forms [Day 14]

October 6th : Biometrics letter received [Day 17]

October 20th: Biometrics appointment completed [Day 31]

November 30th: Forms 131 and 765 approved [Day 72]

December 3rd: EAD/AP card received in mail [Day 75]

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Ancient thread from 2008 closed to further comment~

~Start a new thread~

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.