S and S

Muta marriage in Egypt

293 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Marriage is NEVER simply an act before God. It is ALWAYS a legal matter, no matter what country's soil is under a couple's feet when they marry.

This is particularly true in Islam. The nikah contract is just that, a legal contract. It is not a sacrament, as in Christianity. There is no "married in God's eyes". It is a social contract whose power lies in its ability to provide protection and enforce responsibilites.

In a paper marriage, none of this exists. The onus is on the parties themselves to be honorable enuf to keep to the contract. If they don't want to, they don't have to.

I think that western women, charmed by the exotic nature of a foreign culture and faith, are easily lead to believe that a nikah is a nikah is a nikah. Certainly, that is not so, and western women, convert or not, imbued in Christian ideology of the sacrement of marriage in their heads, fall all too fast for "marriage in God's eyes", something they are less likely to do with a western man.

Edited by Virtual wife

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
How well do you suppose that "agreement" would hold up in court?

One big difference between Islamic law and Anglo-American law is that the latter does recognize common-law marriages in some circumstances as just as legally binding as a marriage. She'd probably have a pretty good case for half the house.

And you're absolutely right that it wouldn't be a marriage, and as such wouldn't be automatically subject to the same legal wonkery in the event of the relationship terminating. And she certainly wouldn't be filing for a divorce.

i never said that was legal marriage

thats religios marriage . see muslim concern only by religious marriage we went to the court to make it leagal they refused as usa wasnot allow that

so we marrried islamically till they allow it . then they allow it year later we were already filed k1 visa

for all non muslim islamic halal marriage is offer and accept and 2 witness . say islamic saying as both couple accept each other to marray. dowery given to the wife . then you write the contract and the wife can put the condition she want in it then to make it known for all poeple by party or any way

so all the poeple around you know this woman is wife of this man

after this the marriage is halal and legally and halal 100% in Allah eyes.

Timeline

If the customary marriage fulfils the conditions and pillars of a correct marriage contract, such as the consent of the guardian, the presence of two witnesses, the proposal and acceptance (between the husband and the wife), and making the marriage public, then it is a correct marriage contract. The only difference is that this marriage is not authenticated in the court, and it is permissible (acceptable). However, the secret marriage which takes place between a man and a woman without fulfilling the above conditions, is not considered a legal marriage, rather it is an illegal relationship for which the man and the woman are sinful

One big difference between Islamic law and Anglo-American law is that the latter does recognize common-law marriages in some circumstances as just as legally binding as a marriage.

I agree with the point-of-view that the foundation of U.S. law is English/British common-law which, at that particular time in history, was religious law because there was no separation.

She'd probably have a pretty good case for half the house.

One could hope.....

And you're absolutely right that it wouldn't be a marriage, and as such wouldn't be automatically subject to the same legal wonkery in the event of the relationship terminating. And she certainly wouldn't be filing for a divorce.

Thank you for the affirmation.

Timeline

Zawaj al-Misyar ( a kind of marriage) has two forms: 1) Zawaj al-Misyar means contracting a marriage between a man and woman. This contract meets all conditions of normal marriage such as presence of woman's guardian and two honest witnesses. But, as for rights of housing and financial support, a husband is not responsible for them all, since his wife will live in her own home, where he comes to her as a husband. In addition, she is requested to provide for her own needs.

women dont recieve any dowery

Timeline

then you write the contract and the wife can put the condition she want in it then to make it known for all poeple by party or any way

Whoa! No way you and write into a contract whatever you want. There are specific rules to wrtting an Islamic contract in Egypt and all over the Muslim world. The provisions in the contract MUST conform to the accepted law of the state and the ulema. For example, some jurisdictions will not allow a first wife to add a condition disallowing her husband to have plural wives. That is not acceptable under fiqh laws that govern some regions. Other provisions, such as raising children as Christians or Jews would be rejected. You cannot just make up conditions and put them into a nikah and have it be valid. If that is what happened, your lawyer failed you (but then, in paper marriages, this is common), and your nikah may not be valid in Egypt or the US.

Timeline

just tell the truth here about islam mam . dont be afraid that if other u were wrong in some thing thats not shame on you.

non of us in angel

you just choose certain parts and talk about it while you ignore the other

be brave and face those poeple

Timeline
whats the person feel when he knew his 30 years marrige was in Haram

ohhhhhhh i know the feeling .

I wouldn't know. But I'd say you're feeling the sting of realizing that we know yours is, even if you won't admit it.

Timeline

hahahaha i told you be4 mine is and has all islmaic marriage requirement

but i know some mam married 30 years non muslim and live in haram and if she had kids so they are haram kids i know the feeling what she will feel . i feel bity for you and dont wish it for any one

Timeline

hahahaha i told you be4 mine is and has all islmaic marriage requirement

It has the fiqh requirements, the mechanics, but not the morality or the dignity of an Islamic marriage under sharia. But, you have shown that you don't understand the difference. The sheikh said no decent woman enter into this type of contract, and I will add, no decent Muslim man would let her.

Will you let your daughter do what you had melinda do? I doubt it.

Edited by Virtual wife

Marriage is NEVER simply an act before God. It is ALWAYS a legal matter, no matter what country's soil is under a couple's feet when they marry.

This is particularly true in Islam. The nikah contract is just that, a legal contract. It is not a sacrament, as in Christianity. There is no "married in God's eyes". It is a social contract whose power lies in its ability to provide protection and enforce responsibilites.

In a paper marriage, none of this exists. The onus is on the parties themselves to be honorable enuf to keep to the contract. If they don't want to, they don't have to.

I think that western women, charmed by the exotic nature of a foreign culture and faith, are easily lead to believe that a nikah is a nikah is a nikah. Certainly, that is not so, and western women, convert or not, imbued in Christian ideology of the sacrement of marriage in their heads, fall all too fast for "marriage in God's eyes", something they are less likely to do with a western man.

This is a good point, and it's worth noting that it's rare that you'll find a priest or minister who would be willing to officiate at the sacrament if it wasn't also going to be legally binding absent some kind of good reason. (Like the state persecuting religious marriages, or the alternative being the couple doesn't get the sacrament at all (like some pre-visa religious ceremonies.) But if the average couple walks in and says 'we want to get religiously married but incur none of the social and legal obligations', most priests would balk.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.