Rocketta

Non-Muslims married to Muslim MENA

463 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
The marraige islamically is most important and it does include a contract rather its not registered at the court and they only need that if anything happened they can have the support of legal action.... other than that its a normal valid marraige.... There was no court during the times of the prophet peace be upon him. They will get it registered in America then it wd be LEGAL marriaige according to the law.
lyrics.jpg

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

There are alot of women that have been with there man that way and have gotten pregnant.Thats is there choice what they want to do with there relationship .God always forgives and then theres this beautiful child with them now that is loved so much!

Mohamed and I chose a different way to get married by religion that is very accepted in Egypt. I know he loves me and we decided religion is more important than court then. I dont have to ask Allah for any forgivness we did the right way . So let people think what they want to think ! All I care is what Allah thinks and my husband!!! (L)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
You can say what ever you want to say but I have always been taught and in Egypt was told that a muslim women is not suppose to marry out of faith! Thats why muslim brothers sometimes kill there sister.Anyone can do it but u think the family will approve !!!Never!!! Islam does approve of different religion for the men.

For Mohammed and I when we married I converted to Islam. We married by contract which is more important by religion to us then marry in court.Like people that just go and be with there men with no kind of marraige at all. I would have never gotten pregnant with our prince if I wasnt married by religion because I would have never been with mohamed that way until we were married. Also i will say people need to watch what they say about peoples' children !! Mohamed im sure will finish this tommorow !! Especially when people make comments about me and his child!!!!

This attitude is what really gets my blood boiling - how could this be professed as an acceptable solution to the so called problem - so I guess women's life have no real value in God's eyes - as long as the honor is preserved -this is such a bunch of #######, BS and nothing more then clerical propaganda...I can't believe that people would just accept such practices in the name of religion - I guess that's why I am with Ganja Girl on the topic of religion...

Edited by Lost in NY

Citizenship (N-400)

09/15/2009 - Application mailed to Texas Lockbox

09/17/2009 - Delivered to the Lockbox

09/21/2009 - Check cashed

09/24/2009 - NOA dated 9/18/09

09/26/2009 - RFE mailed out dated 9/25 (biometrics notice)

10/14/2009 - Biometrics completed

01/01/2010 - finally an update - awaiting interview letter

02/08/2010 - interview (Garden City, NY) -- PASSED

03/03/2010 - Oath Ceremony in Brooklyn

03/13/2010 - U.S. Passport in hand

DONE!!!

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
The marraige islamically is most important and it does include a contract rather its not registered at the court and they only need that if anything happened they can have the support of legal action.... other than that its a normal valid marraige.... There was no court during the times of the prophet peace be upon him. They will get it registered in America then it wd be LEGAL marriaige according to the law.

There were courts and registered marriages at the time of the Prophet. If not, where is the precedent for Islamic courts and jurists to regulate practice? If urfi marriages are so Islamically valid, then why doesn't Egypt recognize urfi without requiring registration and legalization of the contract?

If you are willing to follow non-Muslim laws in the US to get a visa, why are you willing to fabricate God's laws in a Muslim country so you can try to justify carnal knowledge without the protection of rights and responsibilities in a valid marriage?

Hell's bells, have your rolls in the hay for all I care. That's between you and Allah. Just don't come here to try to pass it off as halal; that lie taints all of Islam and all Muslims. Keep your sins to yourself instead of broadcasting them here. Urfi doesn't equal Islamic, and you all know it. If you don't, that's plain old pathetic. Muslims of honor don't try to do an end run around the validity of marriage in our faith.

I ask again, why do ME Muslims consider non-Muslim law worth following when it suits their purposes, but the law of their own Muslim countries are not worthy of their adherence when ignoring it suits their purposes?

Do you plan to come to US and ignore the laws that are inconvenient for you here too?

Timeline

There were courts and registered marriages at the time of the Prophet. If not, where is the precedent for Islamic courts and jurists to regulate practice? If urfi marriages are so Islamically valid, then why doesn't Egypt recognize urfi without requiring registration and legalization of the contract?

If you are willing to follow non-Muslim laws in the US to get a visa, why are you willing to fabricate God's laws in a Muslim country so you can try to justify carnal knowledge without the protection of rights and responsibilities in a valid marriage?

Hell's bells, have your rolls in the hay for all I care. That's between you and Allah. Just don't come here to try to pass it off as halal; that lie taints all of Islam and all Muslims. Keep your sins to yourself instead of broadcasting them here. Urfi doesn't equal Islamic, and you all know it. If you don't, that's plain old pathetic. Muslims of honor don't try to do an end run around the validity of marriage in our faith.

I ask again, why do ME Muslims consider non-Muslim law worth following when it suits their purposes, but the law of their own Muslim countries are not worthy of their adherence when ignoring it suits their purposes?

Do you plan to come to US and ignore the laws that are inconvenient for you here too?

I'm legally married by the way ..... I don't think you need to be this defencive and rude! If it includes a shiekh and ish-har -letting everyone know- it's valid..... Urfi here happens where the couple just get a piece of paper and write down they're married and two people sign that they were there and then they take off thinking they're married .... thats the one that's haram and not valid.

lyrics.jpg

Timeline
You can say what ever you want to say but I have always been taught and in Egypt was told that a muslim women is not suppose to marry out of faith! Thats why muslim brothers sometimes kill there sister.Anyone can do it but u think the family will approve !!!Never!!! Islam does approve of different religion for the men.

For Mohammed and I when we married I converted to Islam. We married by contract which is more important by religion to us then marry in court.Like people that just go and be with there men with no kind of marraige at all. I would have never gotten pregnant with our prince if I wasnt married by religion because I would have never been with mohamed that way until we were married. Also i will say people need to watch what they say about peoples' children !! Mohamed im sure will finish this tommorow !! Especially when people make comments about me and his child!!!!

Islam does approve of different religion for the men.

How brainwashed you are!

You are not married, you have to do a K1 because no one who has any authority in Islam or western law recognizes you as married. It is shameful that you claim that Islam recognizes you as married when all you have is what you say and nothing else to prove you are married. Nothing in the Quran will support what you have done.

As for Muslim women who marry kitabi men, you cannot post a single ayah from the Quran that commands Muslim women to marry only Muslim men. You cannot post a single ayah that says hey may not marry kitabi men.

You have been following what is called "boyfriend Islam", what your Muslim boyfriend tells you is Islam. If every Muslim could just make up Islam, there would be no Islam, and that is what we have here with you and your man.

You two want to claim that we must follow the opinions scholars and other mortals, which are based on culture, but you don't have the obedience to God to follow Him. You say I must be wrong because I don't follow scholars, but you only insist on their views when it is good for you. You say you don't have to obey Muslim laws of Egypt requiring you to register your contract, but when Egypt says that Muslim women can't marry a non-Muslim man, then Egypt is to be listened to.

This is hypocrisy and you know that. You can choose to pick the laws you like and ignore the ones you don't, but it is easy to see that you want that for yourselves only, and for no one else, unless they agree with you.

There are alot of women that have been with there man that way and have gotten pregnant.Thats is there choice what they want to do with there relationship .God always forgives and then theres this beautiful child with them now that is loved so much!

Mohamed and I chose a different way to get married by religion that is very accepted in Egypt. I know he loves me and we decided religion is more important than court then. I dont have to ask Allah for any forgivness we did the right way . So let people think what they want to think ! All I care is what Allah thinks and my husband!!! (L)

It is not very accepted in Egypt. Most of the scholars there do not agree wiht it. Since you didn't register it and make it legal so you could get a marriage visa, you didn't do what is the law, so you have no right to preach to others about how they should do.

This attitude is what really gets my blood boiling - how could this be professed as an acceptable solution to the so called problem - so I guess women's life have no real value in God's eyes - as long as the honor is preserved -this is such a bunch of #######, BS and nothing more then clerical propaganda...I can't believe that people would just accept such practices in the name of religion - I guess that's why I am with Ganja Girl on the topic of religion...

It is tribalism, only, she speaks of. Do not allow the ignorance being spewed here to be defined as Islam. Some Arabs have a tendency to want to maintain the jahilyya state of their societies that do not allow women to be more than property. Too many of them understand Islam in the context of the history of the ummah or the practice of our Nabi. This sickness is what they want to export to the rest of the ummah. As an Arab Muslim, it is sad for me to say this, but the truth must be told.

Timeline

I'm legally married by the way ..... I don't think you need to be this defencive and rude! If it includes a shiekh and ish-har -letting everyone know- it's valid..... Urfi here happens where the couple just get a piece of paper and write down they're married and two people sign that they were there and then they take off thinking they're married .... thats the one that's haram and not valid.

If it's not registered with an authority with the power to enforce it, it isn't valid. Egypt requires registration for validity. Islam is not about making up the laws as you wish, and it is very serious about protection of those within marriage. If those elements do not exist, there is no validity in the marriage, and if a couple is really married, they don't have to file for a K1 visa. The K1 is evidence that they did not follow the law and be married.

Correction: Too many of them don't understand Islam in the context of the history of the ummah or the practice of our Nabi.

Edited by Virtual wife

Timeline

Marriage in Egypt

The only legal marriage for foreigners in Egypt is a civil ceremony performed at the local marriage court, which is in accordance with Islamic practice. Persons wishing a religious ceremony may arrange for one separately, but it is the civil ceremony that establishes the legal marriage.

http://cairo.usembassy.gov/consular/acs12.htm

One of the things that our Nabi taught is to follow the laws of the land you are in. Without registration, a court, yes a court of law, would have to determine the validity of the nikah, and they can decide it isn't valid. Just because you "marry" in a masjid and have a sheikh presiding, that doesn't make your contact valid. If it did, then there would be no need for a court to determine the validity of your union if it wasn't registered prior to some problem arising requiring legal intervention. That sheikh who "married" you could take care of everything for you. But, he can't.

Islam is easy. Some Muslims are hard headed.

Edited by Virtual wife

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

I have been a convert to Islam for about a year now. I studied Islam for years before I made my decision. There is no doubt in my mind it will take the rest of my life to begin to understand everything and even then, I don't think it is possible. I do my best to read the Quran, fatwas, islamic sources, ask questions of real live Imams in mosques, consult my husband and his sources there, books on Islam and the prophet (pbu) and I studied classical arabic, full time, for years. In other words, I can translate the quran, for the most part, by myself, without anyone's help. I will admit that if I don't get an exact point, then I refer to the translation and I bought an enlish/arabic quran that contained explanations for when and why that verse may have been revlealed. I do my best. That is all God expects of me. Over time, inshallah, I hope to become better.

One problem I have run into is judgement by muslim born women. They assume they are better than me because they were born into their religion. They look down on me. I do my best to ignore this. At least I know I made an informed choice about my religion and didn't just go with what my parents told me. Everyone should be confident that their religion is what is closest to their hearts. I was raised Christian, yet I always held doubts and when I asked pointed question, they never got answered. I got to the point I stopped going to church or reading the bible. I just prayed and chose to believe in God. Then I found Islam and felt the peace in my heart. So it hurts me when people claim to be more knowledgeable and better than me just because they are muslim. If you know something I do not, don't make insults at me, or try to make me feel like a horrible person. You should instead be kind and take the opportunity to point out your views and the evidence for that. No one is ever convinced of their wrongs when they are attacked in such a rude way.

I am an open person and always wanting to learn more about my religion. Up to this point, I had not found any evidence supporting that it is okay for muslim women to marry non-muslim men. I know two muslim women married to non-muslim men that both told me what they did is haram. Every muslim I have ever known has told me it is haram. Virtual wife, you are the very first person I met that contradicted that. I don't say you are wrong. In fact, you never asked me why I believed the way I did or give me a chance to defend myself. You just started attacking me from ONE sentence. If you have evidence to present that might change my views than present it in a clear way that is not agrressive or judgemental of who I am. As a good muslim, you should gently correct, not go on the attack and discourage a new convert to Islam.

Though I am sure you know this story, it is a good example of how the prophet (pbuh) corrected people of even the most grave errors:

Anas ibn Malik reports: “God’s messenger was sitting in the mosque with some of his companions when a Bedouin urinated inside the mosque. The Prophet’s companions said: ‘What is going on?’ ‘What are you doing?’ The Prophet said to them: ‘Do not interrupt him.’ He subsequently called the man and said to him: ‘These mosques are not the place where one can throw any dirt, urine or stools. They are meant for reciting the Qur’an, glorifying God and prayer.’ He then called for a bucket of water and he poured it over the urine.” (Related by Al-Bukhari, Muslim, Al-Nassaie, Malik and Ahmad).

Please, if you feel the need to defend your belief, this is fine, but do not attack me in such a way. I hope to only learn more about Islam and not be looked down for not being muslim as long as others, or because I am not arab.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

ok, it is not fair that you people had pizza and snacks and didn't even invite me. :(

whoooo, ok I take offense to being calling a fornicator. :lol:

I'm of the belief that spiritual belief is personal and up to everyone to decide what they believe. So if I have kids and my husband is ok with them being christian I"m not going to look at him as something lacking in him, sorry. I wouldn't mind them being raised Muslim but I expect the same respect of my religious beliefs of my husband.

I'm glad I talked to my husband a lot about this before we got married. Just like I adapted my loud, brash American personality to the culture of Jordan when I was there, I expect my husband to adapt his personality to the country he lives in. It's all about compromise. If I can give up pork in my home, he can give up some of the ideas of women and men being friends. That's how I look at it. Compromise and communication is key. I'm not going to be the one doing all the compromising..... but my husband all ready knows that. :)

I agree with you on everything. You know something though? I talked to my husband 100% about everything before marriage I'm just too independent and I make my say in everything and try to be compassionate to his expectations. But after marriage about a year of marriage he thinks he can change my views and my limits after we've already openly talked about it before marriage. (My response is regarding your "letting you talk to other men or changing his views on American ways") No matter how clear you make it to men from that part of the world they have still been babied by sisters, mothers, aunts where they are kind of I don't want to say childish but pretty much Childish! What he wants is what he wants. My spouse was spoiled in that way that he was the man and he could decide anything. I'm working on him currently it doesn't work that way we are 50/50%. Just wanted to give a heads up to all the ladies because it's tough on certain issues of standing grounds as a woman. Especially when a son has controlled his mothers, sisters, aunts activities. What is a wife next to a mother!!

Oh I totally suspect my husband thinks he will be able to convince me of certain things, like cooking. lol All I can say is that I will compromise but that's all I can do.

It is madness. And, it is a madness that is allowed to continute because people rely on scholars to understand their own religion. As I understand it, stoning is not found on the Quran. It is supported by hadith that contradict the Quran. Please, show me where in the Quran is it stated that stoning is punishment for anything? What does the Quran say is punishment for Zina?

Why is it that all of these discussion devolve into long scholar block quotes? Can no one other than VW show their own reasoning and knowledge of their own beliefs? It gets to be rather maddening. And, it is repeated here all too often. Let's spare ourselves another go round. Do a search for the previous posts on interfaith marriages. There are many. I think VW has laid out a pretty good case. Read it and judge for yourself. Or don't. But, please, please, please, long block quotes from scholars get really tiring.

Wow, you actually read those? :o

nevermind

I think Rocketta is taking lessons from Bridget as to how to start awesome threads for those of us stuck at work :)

Frankly, it's really not fair that this convo took off on the day that I'm not home so I couldn't even participate. :bonk:

Yes we talk all the time about this stuff, and i know he is spoiled by his mom etc etc but at the same time he also knows this is here not there. Alot of things have been discussed and fortunately we agree....I AM TO BE BOSS...no just kidding but he does realize things here are to be different

Lol...actually that is how it turns out to be in sorts once they get here. I pretty much take charge because I know how things are done here, and he doesn't want to bother with the details. The important things are decided between us. If we disagree sometimes it goes my way sometimes his way. I can't say my American ex was as easy to work with.

Now when we are in Morocco, he is the boss, I hate it, but I just sit there like some idiot that knows nothing because I have no idea how to do anything with their system.

I know what you mean. When I was in Jordan and got mad it was so hard just not to show my american tail. lol

I have fornicated many many times, and hope to do it again. Does this mean that I will be stoned, or does it only apply to women??? like...yanno...double standards.

lol, my double standard I told my husband was if I cheat on him he can divorce me but if he cheats on me I would kill him in his sleep. :devil:

MY HOT ARAB HUBBY!!

dreamy_Riyad-2.jpg2615261345_a42ed1904a.jpg

No one tell the hubby! Oh wait I already told HIM! :)

Timeline

I am an open person and always wanting to learn more about my religion. Up to this point, I had not found any evidence supporting that it is okay for muslim women to marry non-muslim men. I know two muslim women married to non-muslim men that both told me what they did is haram. Every muslim I have ever known has told me it is haram. Virtual wife, you are the very first person I met that contradicted that. I don't say you are wrong. In fact, you never asked me why I believed the way I did or give me a chance to defend myself. You just started attacking me from ONE sentence. If you have evidence to present that might change my views than present it in a clear way that is not agrressive or judgemental of who I am. As a good muslim, you should gently correct, not go on the attack and discourage a new convert to Islam.

You have no idea how much I am attacked with no request to say why I believe as I believe. I am tired of the canard that claims that Muslim women are honored and elevated, then, on the other hand, they are so immature, faint of faith, and unable to operate in the world without a Muslim man leading them. I have been listening to this ####### all of my life, as have most of us. Few have the strength to resist, thus the belief that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. If my defense of my faith is all it takes to turn someone away from Islam, then that is what Allah desires.

I have posted plenty. You do something for me to show why you believe as you do. Please post for me the evidence from the Quran and Sunnah that establish a law that forbids Muslim women from marriage with men of the Book or limits them to marriage with Muslim men. Please post the entire ayah, and do not post the words of others from websites. I'm looking for critical thinking. That would be a refreshing change from the regurgitation of nonsense I get so often.

Timeline
I have been a convert to Islam for about a year now. I studied Islam for years before I made my decision. There is no doubt in my mind it will take the rest of my life to begin to understand everything and even then, I don't think it is possible. I do my best to read the Quran, fatwas, islamic sources, ask questions of real live Imams in mosques, consult my husband and his sources there, books on Islam and the prophet (pbu) and I studied classical arabic, full time, for years. In other words, I can translate the quran, for the most part, by myself, without anyone's help. I will admit that if I don't get an exact point, then I refer to the translation and I bought an enlish/arabic quran that contained explanations for when and why that verse may have been revlealed. I do my best. That is all God expects of me. Over time, inshallah, I hope to become better.

One problem I have run into is judgement by muslim born women. They assume they are better than me because they were born into their religion. They look down on me. I do my best to ignore this. At least I know I made an informed choice about my religion and didn't just go with what my parents told me. Everyone should be confident that their religion is what is closest to their hearts. I was raised Christian, yet I always held doubts and when I asked pointed question, they never got answered. I got to the point I stopped going to church or reading the bible. I just prayed and chose to believe in God. Then I found Islam and felt the peace in my heart. So it hurts me when people claim to be more knowledgeable and better than me just because they are muslim. If you know something I do not, don't make insults at me, or try to make me feel like a horrible person. You should instead be kind and take the opportunity to point out your views and the evidence for that. No one is ever convinced of their wrongs when they are attacked in such a rude way.

Though I am sure you know this story, it is a good example of how the prophet (pbuh) corrected people of even the most grave errors:

Anas ibn Malik reports: “God’s messenger was sitting in the mosque with some of his companions when a Bedouin urinated inside the mosque. The Prophet’s companions said: ‘What is going on?’ ‘What are you doing?’ The Prophet said to them: ‘Do not interrupt him.’ He subsequently called the man and said to him: ‘These mosques are not the place where one can throw any dirt, urine or stools. They are meant for reciting the Qur’an, glorifying God and prayer.’ He then called for a bucket of water and he poured it over the urine.” (Related by Al-Bukhari, Muslim, Al-Nassaie, Malik and Ahmad).

Please, if you feel the need to defend your belief, this is fine, but do not attack me in such a way. I hope to only learn more about Islam and not be looked down for not being muslim as long as others, or because I am not arab.

Well said. Advice or correction shud be done in a more tolerant and nice way ... and Allah has said that to the prophet so many times to be gentle and not forceable. Again S and S; Islam is perfect but we re not ... we sin daily and we re only humans and at the end of the day all of us r trying their best. It does get personal unfortunately and strays away from the main point sometimes and leans towards what we want to declair is the truth according to us. I apologise if by any means was rude or forceable. I know what I know from Islamic teachings.. i never waited for anyone to feed me what to believe.

lyrics.jpg

Timeline

You know, I left this thread this morning only to come back in the evening and find many insults posted about me, my marriage and my lack of knowledge by someone who started off by insulting me as a "convert" speading ignorance. Don't give me heck about how I come across. Don't read my posts if you want sweetness and light. When confronted with lies about my faith, I will not take prisoners.

Timeline

I am sorry, I think you lost my point. I stated my views and why. I also saw no point in typing the ayats again from my personal quran when others have already posted the same on this forum. I told you that I was open to seeing your point of view if you would give me your evidence. So why do I need to continue defending myself when i am giving you the perfect opportunity to show me your views and why I should agree with them. Perhaps I missed your arguments as I have been working long hours and just did my best to read through the 10 pages added to this thread since I was on here last. I will try to look again in the hopes of finding your own arguments.

Of course you are defensive because you have faced so much criticism for your marriage. I recieved a lot of horrible criticism from my husband's family initially because I was American and not a born muslim. I understand that. I recieve criticism from my own family for converting and marrying a muslim, much less and Iraqi. I know all about people judging without good reason.

As for your turning me away from my religion of choice. Please, do not give yourself that kind of credit. No one could do that but myself. I am firm in my religion and will hardly turn from it because some muslims don't like converts and chose to insult them. I've met plenty of other muslims that are accepting of my choices and respect it and try to help me learn more. It is your choice to insult me and try to make me feel bad for not being so "knowledgeable" about Islam. I have no intention of losing sleep over it. I do find it sad that you are so intolerant to helping others to learn Islam and become better. One would think you would welcome people who chose to accept your faith.

Anyway, I thought only to open up a discussion where I could learn your point of view. I am sorry you can't appreciate that and continue to believe I am judging you. I don't presume to judge anyone. Only God can do that. How can I know if you are right or wrong? No human on this earth can be a true judge of what is right or wrong. We can only do what we believe is best and follow what our religion tells us.

Timeline

Well said. Advice or correction shud be done in a more tolerant and nice way ... and Allah has said that to the prophet so many times to be gentle and not forceable. Again S and S; Islam is perfect but we re not ... we sin daily and we re only humans and at the end of the day all of us r trying their best. It does get personal unfortunately and strays away from the main point sometimes and leans towards what we want to declair is the truth according to us. I apologise if by any means was rude or forceable. I know what I know from Islamic teachings.. i never waited for anyone to feed me what to believe.

Thankyou HisLittleMasriyah, I appreciate you comment. I try not to take any advice about Islam until I read more on it. I never meant to offend anyone by saying muslim women can't marry non-muslim men. They ayats I read were from my quran, not from some website. As this subject never applied to me, I took the versus mentioned earlier in this forum at face value and did not research them. No one had ever told me anything to contradict what I read so once again, I had no reason to disbelieve in it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.