KGSodie

Russian wisdom from Natasha

212 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

i hear russians say "oi" too, usually in connection with "господи."

My wife often uses the "foo" word to show her dislike of something. I didn't realize it was a Russian idiom. I never heard my stepdaughter use it though. I have heard many Belarusian women use the term "oi, oi, oi" while shaking their head to convey their disapproval of something. Jews are famous for using the same idiom, but the Belarusian women I know that use it aren't Jewish. Large portions of Belarus were a part of the old Tsarist era Pale of Settlement where Jews were required to live, so that may explain that regionalism. My wife was born and raised in Russia, so that probablty explains why she uses "foo" instead of "oi, oi, oi".

Первый блин комом.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Both of these were used everyday when I was in Kazan'. I gravitated towards, "Ой!", while Alla used, "Господи!" more frequently, They are both used to convey a feeling of shock, surprise, or pain. Alla and I both used, "Фу!" equally whenever we did not like something strongly.

My wife often uses the "foo" word to show her dislike of something. I didn't realize it was a Russian idiom. I never heard my stepdaughter use it though. I have heard many Belarusian women use the term "oi, oi, oi" while shaking their head to convey their disapproval of something. Jews are famous for using the same idiom, but the Belarusian women I know that use it aren't Jewish. Large portions of Belarus were a part of the old Tsarist era Pale of Settlement where Jews were required to live, so that may explain that regionalism. My wife was born and raised in Russia, so that probablty explains why she uses "foo" instead of "oi, oi, oi".

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
Probably because their first husband dumped them for someone twenty years younger and they could use the self-esteem boost.

I understand what you are saying and agree. Your situation is similar to mine. There are a lot more women I'd be interested in and available in Russia but very few in the US. I also find that older US women (say 45-55) often want to date younger men (like 35-40). Not sure why unless it's ego or the fear older men can't perform...which is probably an real issue.

There is a lot more factors to choosing a mate overseas versus here in the US, but I agree with your comments.

Eekee, shame on you for talking of me that way.

Timeline
I pretty much skimmed through the whole thread and found that my wife has a lot of similar traits that others described.

My wife also distains colas, but her daughter loves them. Neither of them likes kvas, but I have a taste for it. My wife and many of the Russian / Belarusian women I know love their tea. My wife can't live without it and drinks it with milk or cream. She also likes her juice and it is drunk at room temperature. It sits on the counter unrefridgerated.

We are fortunate to live in an area of Houston close to our house that has two Russian stores that stock foods, medicines, books, movies, etc. from Eastern Europe and many of the former Soviet republics. I lived there even before I met my wife, so it has turned out to be a plus. She has discovered American brands that are acceptable to her, but has the Russian stores to fall back on for certain things. Most notably unrefined sunflower oil, halva, various sweets, church wine (Kagor), and buckwheat (gretchka) comes to mind.

Russians / Belarusians tend to prefer pork over beef. My wife seldom cooks beef. Pork, chicken, and fish is prefered in that order. I'm not a huge fan of pork, but have learned to live with it.

My wife also does not like the American health care system (insurance), doctors, dentists, or medicines. I had a real fun time trying to convince her that our American thyroxine was the same as the thyroxine she got in Belarus. While our system has a lot not to like, I think most of the distain comes from having to pay and pay and pay. My wife is also a huge believer in natural cures and old wives cures from the village. Some of it is OK for minor ailments, but it can also be detrimental if someone refuses competent medical care for serious medical conditions. We often butt heads when she nags me about my decision to go to "my" American doctors rather than letting her cure me.

My wife is also superstitious, but so are some Americans. My wife is probably one of the most superstitious people I ever met though. Most of the time I play along with it to indulge her, but I only go so far with it. There is a limit.

I could probably write a book on my many observations, but I'll stop here for now. One observation that I would like to make is that people are not entirely the same even when they come from the same country. People might have similar beliefs, attitudes, etc. they aquire from their upbringing and culture, but they are still individuals and are different in their own way. Russians are not monolithic. They are not all exactly the same.

Yeah I have had to stick my head under a towel and inhale the boiling potatoes to cure whatever was wrong with me! My wife, extremely superstitous and I can't recall all of them besides what I have written. I am sure to remember now as I hear or see them more often. We are "home shoes" practitioners and become uncomfortable when we visit others and they tell us it is okay to walk on the floor with shoes on.

Both of these were used everyday when I was in Kazan'. I gravitated towards, "Ой!", while Alla used, "Господи!" more frequently, They are both used to convey a feeling of shock, surprise, or pain. Alla and I both used, "Фу!" equally whenever we did not like something strongly.

I hear foo a lot more than oi although it crops up on occasion.

Timeline
OK...here's my funny story about hot versus cold drinks for Russians.

When my wife talks to me on the phone, I stopped having a coke or ice tea while we talk to avoid getting a lecture on how bad it is for me to drink something with ice in it. If she hears the jiggle of ice in my glass, I'm really in for it. At least a 5 minute scolding that cold drinks will harm me and why will I not listen to her sound Russian advice.

I guess I'll have to disconnect my automatic ice maker when she arrives in the USA. :)

When Natasha was in Russia and we would talk on webcam and voice chat, I would get the same lecture as you, SCII, if I was drinking a pop. But, oddly enough, now that she's here she has dropped this particular objection, though she of course doesn't follow this practice herself. I only occasionally get the fact mentioned that it's not good for me, and even then only if I've already got a sniffle.

Luckily, my ice-maker doesn't work. :-)

I'm a ice drinking freak...so I'm hoping she'll "Americanize" on this one. :) Otherwise the summer's are going to be VERY long.

You can tell Natasha maybe she's not so far off about me being crazy! These Russian women are psychic, I swear! My wife knows stuff about me and I don't know where she gets it...but she's often right on the money.

My wife gave up trying to wean me off of cold drinks. Love those fountain cokes especially the ice which I like to crunch much to my wife's displeasure and my dentst's delight. It seems every time I go to the dentist he is rubbing his hands in anticipation of a new crown, and I swear I can see dollar signs in his eyes. When you are without huevos you will bend over for anyone, in the dentist's case it is to pick my pocket.

Timeline

not passing judgment on those who do it. :) my own stepmom is 17 years younger than my dad. half of the kids in my brother's and sister's grades at school (kindergarten and second) have the same family situation--much older dad and half siblings in college or already graduated. but there are a lot of ex-wives who, regardless of whether the new wife was present before the end of the marriage or not, benefit from the little ego boost that a hotter, younger man provides.

Probably because their first husband dumped them for someone twenty years younger and they could use the self-esteem boost.

I understand what you are saying and agree. Your situation is similar to mine. There are a lot more women I'd be interested in and available in Russia but very few in the US. I also find that older US women (say 45-55) often want to date younger men (like 35-40). Not sure why unless it's ego or the fear older men can't perform...which is probably an real issue.

There is a lot more factors to choosing a mate overseas versus here in the US, but I agree with your comments.

Eekee, shame on you for talking of me that way.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

I like how Peejay was talking about his wife finding brands that were "acceptable" here. My wife is in the same boat. Most of the things she has here (up to, and including me!) are only "acceptable" and not as good as what she could've/would've had in Russia.

I've tried to relate to her that when there is only one thing available, then either it's acceptable or it's acceptable to do without!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife is already stockpiling medicines to bring over...both the true medical variety and the herbal variety which Russians seem into...especially teas. I'm hoping the customs people are having a lazy day when she arrives.

Guess i better brace for the "Russian doctors are better than US doctors" comments. Only I have an ace up my sleeve...I've been to a Russian hospital and seen a Russian doctor...and I was not impressed...in fact I was shocked! In fairness, this was an emergency room setting but it was pretty bad.

I have to say you can certainly get a lot stronger stuff over the counter in Russia. I took some pills for joint aches for a trip home from Russia. I took them just before we took off and about 15 minutes later I had zero pain (couldn't feel my body in fact!) and a very comfortable flight considering i was riding those coach seats that seem designed for dwarfs.

As an aside, on my last trip over and back I got a free upgrade to United Air's "coach plus" seats. What a difference! Good leg room and bigger seat. I was shocked how comfortable they were (or maybe I was just remembering the "cozy" local flight on Aeroflot's antiques. I swear they keep those things flying with duck tape and bailing twine. Anyway, for coach plus seats, I don't think you pay much more for them and if you complain about almost anything they'll give you the upgrade for free.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

When my wife talks to me on the phone, I stopped having a coke or ice tea while we talk to avoid getting a lecture on how bad it is for me to drink something with ice in it. If she hears the jiggle of ice in my glass, I'm really in for it. At least a 5 minute scolding that cold drinks will harm me and why will I not listen to her sound Russian advice.

I guess I'll have to disconnect my automatic ice maker when she arrives in the USA. :)

When Natasha was in Russia and we would talk on webcam and voice chat, I would get the same lecture as you, SCII, if I was drinking a pop. But, oddly enough, now that she's here she has dropped this particular objection, though she of course doesn't follow this practice herself. I only occasionally get the fact mentioned that it's not good for me, and even then only if I've already got a sniffle.

I'm a ice drinking freak...so I'm hoping she'll "Americanize" on this one. :) Otherwise the summer's are going to be VERY long.

You can tell Natasha maybe she's not so far off about me being crazy! These Russian women are psychic, I swear! My wife knows stuff about me and I don't know where she gets it...but she's often right on the money.

My wife gave up trying to wean me off of cold drinks. Love those fountain cokes especially the ice which I like to crunch much to my wife's displeasure and my dentst's delight. It seems every time I go to the dentist he is rubbing his hands in anticipation of a new crown, and I swear I can see dollar signs in his eyes. When you are without huevos you will bend over for anyone, in the dentist's case it is to pick my pocket.

Ah, a fellow "ice cruncher!" Yes, I think I've paid for a nice long vacation for my dentist from either putting in crowns or repairing broken fillings or chipped teeth. I'm surprised he hasn't installed one of those motel ice machines in his office just for me. :)

Timeline

also all the people i saw who simply said, "i have diabetes" and then were handed a bunch of needles...

My wife is already stockpiling medicines to bring over...both the true medical variety and the herbal variety which Russians seem into...especially teas. I'm hoping the customs people are having a lazy day when she arrives.

Guess i better brace for the "Russian doctors are better than US doctors" comments. Only I have an ace up my sleeve...I've been to a Russian hospital and seen a Russian doctor...and I was not impressed...in fact I was shocked! In fairness, this was an emergency room setting but it was pretty bad.

I have to say you can certainly get a lot stronger stuff over the counter in Russia. I took some pills for joint aches for a trip home from Russia. I took them just before we took off and about 15 minutes later I had zero pain (couldn't feel my body in fact!) and a very comfortable flight considering i was riding those coach seats that seem designed for dwarfs.

As an aside, on my last trip over and back I got a free upgrade to United Air's "coach plus" seats. What a difference! Good leg room and bigger seat. I was shocked how comfortable they were (or maybe I was just remembering the "cozy" local flight on Aeroflot's antiques. I swear they keep those things flying with duck tape and bailing twine. Anyway, for coach plus seats, I don't think you pay much more for them and if you complain about almost anything they'll give you the upgrade for free.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife keeps telling me I will catch a cold from using ice in my drinks, but then she wants to sleep with the windows open on cold nights and keep the ceiling fan running on high the whole time. I wake up in the morning with a scratchy throat and she immediately blames that drink with ice from a few days ago and scolds me for not listening to her about avoiding drinks with ice.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

The only time the windows are opened or ceiling fan on here is if the outside temp. is above 85F. Otherwise, it's just too cold to have "wind" moving through the house.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

lol scii, I hear you on that one. It's kinda spooky, isn't it? For me, it's on the same level as how they can just pose for a photo. When I try and 'pose', I wind up looking constipated or something, but Natasha always looks fabulous. I have no idea how they do it.

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
Not that i would have voted for McCain anyway (though I am not thrilled with either Hillary or Obama), but to me it seems like he controls his temper only slightly better than Zhirinovsky does. That kind of lack of control is not something I personally want to see in a head of state.

Obama gets the young folks excited, but it all seems like empty rhetoric to me. I want to see real plans, not an inspiring speech. I think it's good that we're seeing record voter registration and turnout though.

Loathing. Wow...quite a Freudian slip, eh? I see you got I meant loafing. :)

I'm numbing out on the politics thing. The whole process just takes to long. Not thrilled with any of them deep down in my heart. McCain's a brother Nam vet and I feel connected to him for that, but he's getting old. I actually liked a lot of what Ron Paul had to say but he always looked bad during the debates. Like Obama, Paul got the young folks excited.

My feelings on the whole election is that this will be the third presidential election where none of the candidates are electable in my opinion. It is a very sad state of affairs within American politics when we cant even find a single worthwhile standout candidate in either party.

And the fact that Paul got no press time really infuriates me. All candidates should be afforded the same privledges. In this election we will be making the choice for president from the candidtates that BIG MEDIA wants us to choose from. Paul actually did well in a few states in the primaries but it often went unreported. I dont think Paul would have been a winner, but he would have done much better if he was treated equally. Huckabee was another that was often overlooked by the media.

When 'they' went to a 2-party system, that eliminated the realistic chance that any independent (non-Republican and non-Democrat) could ever be elected. Then the media came into play, and now the candidates seem to get more bland with each passing year. No one wants to "look bad" on TV, so they all go with safe, canned platforms. Very sad. The election (and especially electoral college) system is badly in need of an overhaul, as are the tax laws/system (and social security, etc). But the lobbyists keep on pouring in the money, and it's doubtful any meaningful change will ever come to be.

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Kevin,

Had a new experience yesterday. The best way to describe it is that if you get an invite to try "Russian Pizza", run!!!!! We have a trip to Domino's, Pizza Hut or any other pizza joint in the area in our very near future. A Boboli wheat crust, paste, tomatoes and onions just don't do it for the die hard American palate.

From what I could gather, pizza was not on her repertoire of dishes she has made. I think she tried to imitate what she had seen in restaurant. I give her high marks for efforts but to use her own word, it was a "фиаско".

Unfortunatley we do not have the greatest pizza in our area but I think I can find something we will all enjoy. It gives me a new mission.

She has started inquiring about additional stores besides Wal-Mart and the beach shop. I was hoping that major shopping would not be necessary because I have 4 older sisters and have done all the shopping with women I ever want to do. It looks like I will have to break down and take her to the mall and other shops in Pensacola. Pray for me! :innocent:

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensedregistered pharmacist". (because somebody gives a damn)

Russia-USA.png

Together at last!!!

Entry 4/8/08

Marriage 6/7/08

LAISSEZ LES BONS TEMPS ROULER!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.