panamania79

American Airlines

48 posts in this topic

i have flown american..and not a fan of any USA airlines...

We used to be their hub. We used to get great service. Now, not so much!

I think they are all pretty much the same. Good days and bad days.

i miss TWA
You actually miss Try Walking Again?

My answer is the same as in 1997: if I can get a reasonable deal (against Delta), American is OK for domestic (or to Canada) flights.

For off-continent trips--NOPE!

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

i miss TWA

So do I... and those student vouchers they sold... $600 for about 3-4 round trips to the Caribbean back in the day. Luckily those TWA Aviators miles turned into AAdvantage miles and I got a really good start into AA Elite status when TWA came to an end.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
American and US Air are thinking about a merger.

I think this deal is bad for us, it could end up like AT&T, buying out all the competition then having a monopoly.

As for American, their prices are always much higher than the rest, so no I would not fly them unless I had a free ticket.

Believe it or not, that might not actually be so bad in the long run. If it weren't for AT&T's original monopoly over the phone lines (and therefore communication) way back when, the U.S. government wouldn't have developed the precurser to the Internet. So in an odd way, we have AT&T to thank for the medium we're using right now. It's the paranoia our government had due to that company's overall control that led to the creation of this system.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
As a sidenote... I saw a news blurb today that stated Delta and Northwest were merging. Did anyone else see that? It doesn't really surprise me, considering the two are part of something called the "SkyTeam" (which almost sounds like a superhero group) along with Continental and other airlines as well. Delta, Northwest and Continental work together all the time, offering codeshares on each other's flights. So a merger was probably in the making for a long time now.

I received an e-mail yesterday (I have Delta frequent flyer miles) letting me know that NWA and Delta were in the final steps of the merger, only waiting for federal regulatory approval. I also heard abotu the American - US Airways proposed merger.

Prices are expetced to increase (less competition -> higher prices), and 2 mergers would increase prices even higher.

12-14-07 Sent K-1 petition

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

02-27-08 NVC processed petition

02-28-08 Received NOA2 in mail

03-03-08 Consulate in Rio de Janeiro received petition

03-21-08 Received packet for interview

04-22-08 Visa Interview and Visa APPROVED!

05-06-08 Visa received in mail

07-28-08 Wedding Date (Reception was 26th, but forgot to reigster for MC...oops)

10-04-08 Applied for AOS (EAD and AP also)

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

10-27-08 I-485 transferred to CSC

11-04-08 I-485 Biometrics appointment

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

12-09-08 EAD Biometrics appointment

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

Cost of 3 roundtrip tickets to Brazil in last 3 years...... $2,900+

Cost of filing petitions for K-1 visa & AOS.................... $1,465+

Cost of monthly calling cards to Brazil........................$20

Cost of marrying the woman of my dreams.... PRICELESS

.png

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

yes. I've flown with them several times to the Uk with no probs at all, and thanks to them, have 2 free tickets to Peru for this summer. Thank you American!

Yes, they screwed up by not getting the inspections taken care of before the deadline, but I'd rather they DID get them checked out. And remember, it was only MD-80s, not their entire fleet.

Edited by Sister Fracas

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bolivia
Timeline

I have flown and will fly again with American Airlines.. I don’t have a lot of choices in the matter…They are the only way to reach my wife and her family in Bolivia. The only other options I’ve found with other airlines have connections in 2 or more other countries. Not my idea of the easy route.

Cost is reasonable, considering they are the only daily round trips between US and Bolivia.

I’ve flown with AA a lot, but have no horror stories to tell… (cross my fingers) and hope not to ever.

Take only one bag and carry it with me when possible. Always try to use only one airlines for all connecting flights,… especially if checking any bags. Less chance of loss.

• 04-04-2006 Met on Internet
  • 09-22-2007 Married

• ----- I-130 ----------
  • 10-29-2007 Mailed
  • 04-02-2008 Approved (NOA2 received 4/11/08, no web update)

• ----- I-129F ---------
  • 01-22-2008 Mailed
  • 04-02-2008 Approved (NOA2 received 4/11/08, no web update)
  • 06-16-2008 Interview (Visa received 6-18)
  • 06-22-2008 US Entry

• ----- AOS ---------
  • 08-11-2009 Mailed I-485 Package
  • 08-13-2009 Pachage delivered Chicago lockbox
  • 08-19-2009 Check cashed by USCIS
  • 08-20-2009 NOA1 Received - USCIS
  • 08-31-2009 NOA BIO Appointment Scheduled
  • 09-16-2009 BIO Appointment
  • 11-03-2009 Interview Appointment - SUCCESS!!!
  • 11-13-2009 10 year GC arrived !!!
  • Applying for US citizenship in 3 years...!!!!!!!!

The heart can endure so very much, but every moment apart still feels like an eternity.

We will be patient and we will endure, because the love we received is in answer to our dreams.

Timeline
As a sidenote... I saw a news blurb today that stated Delta and Northwest were merging. Did anyone else see that? It doesn't really surprise me, considering the two are part of something called the "SkyTeam" (which almost sounds like a superhero group) along with Continental and other airlines as well. Delta, Northwest and Continental work together all the time, offering codeshares on each other's flights. So a merger was probably in the making for a long time now.

I received an e-mail yesterday (I have Delta frequent flyer miles) letting me know that NWA and Delta were in the final steps of the merger, only waiting for federal regulatory approval. I also heard abotu the American - US Airways proposed merger.

Prices are expetced to increase (less competition -> higher prices), and 2 mergers would increase prices even higher.

Any word on United and Continental?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I have flown and will fly again with American Airlines.. I don’t have a lot of choices in the matter…They are the only way to reach my wife and her family in Bolivia. The only other options I’ve found with other airlines have connections in 2 or more other countries. Not my idea of the easy route.

Cost is reasonable, considering they are the only daily round trips between US and Bolivia.

I’ve flown with AA a lot, but have no horror stories to tell… (cross my fingers) and hope not to ever.

Take only one bag and carry it with me when possible. Always try to use only one airlines for all connecting flights,… especially if checking any bags. Less chance of loss.

Very wise advice.

I usually just fly with my backpack and smaller side bag. Last time in Bolivia I bought a few extra pieces of clothes locally and left them for donation with friends in Santa Cruz.

AA has actually done very well in giving me OP-UPs on several occasions. I guess most of the time its about having the right personality at the counter.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline

Any word on United and Continental?

Still only heard rumors. I meant to say in my previous post that I was aware of the United - Continental potential merger. It seems like the two were waiting to see how NWA and Delta would proceed before they would. I haven't heard anything about U.S. Air and American.

Edited by Jack and Barbara

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

07-28-08 Wedding Date (Reception was 26th, but forgot to reigster for MC...oops)

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

.png

From what I understand, they don't compete on many routes. Maybe MSP to Atlanta or Detroit to Atlanta will get more epxensive.

keTiiDCjGVo

I think this deal is bad for us, it could end up like AT&T, buying out all the competition then having a monopoly.

As for American, their prices are always much higher than the rest, so no I would not fly them unless I had a free ticket.

Believe it or not, that might not actually be so bad in the long run. If it weren't for AT&T's original monopoly over the phone lines (and therefore communication) way back when, the U.S. government wouldn't have developed the precurser to the Internet. So in an odd way, we have AT&T to thank for the medium we're using right now. It's the paranoia our government had due to that company's overall control that led to the creation of this system.

The US airlines definitely need to consolidate in order to survive. In the long term newer carriers will come along. The industry is basically bankrupt here and needs to do everything they can to survive.

When you compare it to other markets it is not hard to see how poorly they are actually doing. Qantas services 21 million people yet has ordered over 65 787's from boeing and 20 A380's from Airbus. No US carrier has ordered a a380 yet. And only continental has ordered 10 787.

Edited by Boo-Yah!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Not my experience. Difference between AA and Delta fares was usually less than $10 (using ATL-YYC flight), it's UNITED that really clobbers.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

From what I understand, they don't compete on many routes. Maybe MSP to Atlanta or Detroit to Atlanta will get more epxensive.

I don't know what routes they compete in or don't. Regardless, with fewer competiton it is almost inevitable for prices to increase when fewer companies have a strong monopolistic hold of the industry (look at microsoft from a few years back and even today to a certain extent).

Hopefully, the lower fare services such as Jet Blue and Southwest will be able to survive for a long time due to different marketing and strategic vision.

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

.png

Timeline

Although my brother doesn't mind it, I tend to avoid ATL if I can. That airport is usually a madhouse -- at least if you're flying Delta, anyway. To be fair, Atlanta is one of Delta's hubs, so I suppose that is to be expected. You'll find something similar with United in Denver or Continental in Houston too.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

i miss TWA

Travelling While Arab?