lizaanne

Did you pay import tax to ship your stuff to the States?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Simon will finally be moving here on September 1st!!! YAY!!!!!!!!

We would like to know if we have to factor in import taxes for him to ship his stuff to me via excessbaggage.com - they are not able to help with what the taxes would be on the US side. He will be shipping from England to Michigan.

Thanks all!! You da coolest!! :dance:

~Liza

10 Year Green Card Holder Since July 2009 --- Thank you Visa Journey!!! :-)

There's no import tax for used personal effects and house hold goods. Just make sure he completes all the necessary customs paperwork so they don't charge him :thumbs:

Adele

> Texas have received out application and cashed the cheque!

We got our NOA1 as at 26 Oct 2005!

Sent to CSC 26 Oct 2005

NOA2 26 Jan 2006

Sent to Embassy 9 Feb 2006

Embassy sent pk3 21 feb 2006

Recd and return pk3 27 feb

Medical 8 March

recd pk4 11 April

Interview 10 May

Visa Approved 10 May

Visa Received 13 May

Fly to Memphis 21 june

Married 1 September

AOS NOA1 23 Jan 2007

Case transferred to Missourri

Case transferred back to CSC feb 01

Card in the mail March 05

Case approved March 005

Welcome to America Letters received March 08

Filed for lifting of conditions - received in Vermont Jan 20 2009

I-797C NOA received Jan 26 2009

Visit My Website

A Joy unshared is like and unlighted candle

Timeline

Hmmmm - now I'm confused!!!

In this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11555 It says that he has to ship AFTER he moves so he doesn't get hit with fees and stuff. And the responses I have here are that he doesn't have to worry about it.

:huh:

I'm missing something here - not sure what though!!

Thanks!!!

~Liza

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

In this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11555 It says that he has to ship AFTER he moves so he doesn't get hit with fees and stuff. And the responses I have here are that he doesn't have to worry about it.

Thanks!!!

~Liza

Er, not very sure how it works in the UK, but I shipped 6 boxes of personal belongings from Singapore to the US by surface mail through the post office 2 months before I moved. And I only paid for postage.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks!!!

~Liza

The shipping must be done after he arrives in the US. He can give his stuff to the shipper and they can store it until he arrives.. but in order to have his shipment clear customs without duty as used personal effects he will need to provide his shipper with the following:

I-94

Copy of Endorsed Visa

CBP Form 3299

After the shipper has brokered these forms with CBP, the good will be released without duty..

So in order to get the goods duty free, he can't ship them until the shipper gets his I-94.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

Thanks Zyggy - but what if he just posts the stuff as the person above did? Can't he just send me boxes of stuff through the mail? He's not sending furnature (we are still considering one chair he may bring over) it's all books, clothing, gaming models, and personal stuff.

I'm so sorry that I'm being dense about this, but I'm still not clear on how some folks just send stuff over, and some have to do this mess with waiting and providing paperwork.

~Liza

Ewen posted some stuff to me in advance, and I brought some things over when I came back from Scotland in January...all duty-free. *shrug*

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

After shipping stuff (all used household articles and personal effects) by air freight I had to pay:

Customs Clearance 100.00 $

Air freight imports 80.00 $

Cartage and delivery 68.23 $

No duties!

Hope this helps...

Conditional Permanent Resident since September 20, 2006

Conditions removed February 23, 2009

I am extraordinarily patient,

provided I get my own way in the end!

Margaret Thatcher

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.