Flames9_RN

Canada tax info

109 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, the Cdn Income tax has to be prorated to the day you departed Canada. I believe I used a program like Turbo tax and it calculated it for you.

http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html

As well if one makes 50,000 usd adjusted gross income you may be able to file for free!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi! Can anyone tell me if I need to file tax to Canada? My situation is I did not work for the whole year of 2005 in Canada. Actually I haven't worked since 2004. I did not receive any EI last year. All that I have received last year were GST and child tax benefit. I filed my tax last year for the year 2004 since I received maternity and parental benefit. My USC husband is going to claim me on his tax for 2005. I moved here in USA last October. I was a permanent resident in Canada and not a Canadian citizen.

Thanks in advance to all who will answer my question.

Our K1/K2 Timeline

03-19-2005 Mailed I-129F to NSC

03-25-2005 NOA 1

07-02-2005 NOA 2

07-28-2005 Received packet 3

07-29-2005 Sent DS-230 & checklist back to Montreal (received 8/1 accdg to Canada Post)

08-12-2005 Received packet 4

10-03-2005 Interview at Montreal!

10-05-2005 US K1/K2 visa received thru Xpresspost (day 191)

10-18-2005 Moved to USA

11-29-2005 Received SSN by mail

12-03-2005 Wedding day

Our AOS Timeline

01-11-2006 Mailed I-485 & I-765

01-13-2006 Got U.S. State ID & driver's license!

01-21-2006 NOAs by mail

02-04-2006 Biometrics letter (02-22-2006 Biometrics done)

03-28-2006 EAD approved online March 24

03-29-2006 Received EAD card

05-01-2006 Received letter for AOS interview on June 27

06-27-2006 AOS (K1/K2) approved!

07-07-2006 Green card received

Our I-751 Timeline

05-05-2008 Sent I-751 to NSC by express mail

05-19-2008 NOA letter from CSC

06-06-2008 Biometrics letter from CSC (06-24-2008 Biometrics done)

09-02-2008 Card production ordered

09-11-2008 Ten year green card received!

N-400 Timeline

08-29-2009 Oath taking ceremony

N-600 Timeline

12-06-2016 Sent N-600 by USPS priority mail

12-19-2016 Received text and email notification from USCIS

489544gkyrzfla3h.gif

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi! Can anyone tell me if I need to file tax to Canada? My situation is I did not work for the whole year of 2005 in Canada. Actually I haven't worked since 2004. I did not receive any EI last year. All that I have received last year were GST and child tax benefit. I filed my tax last year for the year 2004 since I received maternity and parental benefit. My USC husband is going to claim me on his tax for 2005. I moved here in USA last October. I was a permanent resident in Canada and not a Canadian citizen.

Thanks in advance to all who will answer my question.

You need to file a leaving Canada return. You will still be entitled to those benefits for the period that you were in Canada as well as caluculating things such as the Ontario Health Premium (if from Ontario), etc....

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Did anyone receive their T4E yet? Seems to be taking forever and holding up everything!

Do you know what your EI amount was and when your payments started arriving. If you do, you could easily calculate it yourself. That's what we did. We didn't bother to wait for it...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

EI is for 36 months in USA correct? I can't recall if I received it for the whole 9 months because of a mix up at the beginning!! I'm in no hurry, even though we should get a decent return.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

At http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/isp/common/tisoinfo.shtml you can view the T4E slip informations (they even tell in which boxes one shoud put the amounts); use those numbers till you'll have the actual slip in your hand.

Feb. 4/05 - Sent I-129F (Vermont)

Feb. 9/05 - NOA1

April 6/05 - NOA2

May 12/05 - Packet 3 (second one, the first was lost in the mail)

May 19/05 - Police certificate (RCMP London, ON)

May 20/05 - Packet 4 with interview set on July 26/2005

May 25/05 - Medical in Toronto (dr. Seiden)

July 26/05 - Interview in Montreal (successful)

Aug. 15/05 - Visa and the brown envelope in hand

Sept. 28/05 - Moved to the U.S.A. (Ambassador Bridge (Detroit) POE, asked for and got temp. EAD stamp on I-94)

Oct. 6/05 - Civil wedding ceremony

Oct. 8/05 - Religious wedding ceremony

Oct. 13/05 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

Oct. 14/05 - Applied for SSN

Oct. 22/05 - Received SSN card in the mail

Oct. 24/05 - NOA for AP received (issued Oct. 21)

Oct. 25/05 - NOA's for AOS/EAD received (issued Oct. 21)

Nov. 4/05 - Appointment letter for AOS fingerprints/bio for Nov. 15/2005

Nov. 15/05 - Fingerprints/bio taken for AOS and EAD

Dec. 19/05 - EAD/AP approved

Dec. 27/05 - Received EAD card/AP

Jan. 28/06 - Appointment letter for AOS interview (set on March 15, 2006)

Mar. 15/06 - AOS interview (successful)

Mar. 18/06 - "Welcome to the United States of America" letter

Mar. 25/06 - Received Green Card (good for 2 years)

Dec. 18/07 - Sent I-751 to VSC

Jan. 03/08 - NOA

Feb. 7/08 - Biometrics

Oct. 28/08 - I-751 approved (on-line status)

Nov. 3/08 - Received in the mail the new 10 year GC

Feb. 1/10 - Sent N-400

Feb. 8/10 - NOA

Mar. 24/10 - Fingerprints

May 11/10 - Interview

June 18/10 - US Citizenship Oath

Timeline

You rock Bobo!! Worked like a charm!! Your access code can be found bottom right of the paper that comes with your time records each 2 weeks, and for province I had to use ON, as when filling online from the USA to trick the system one had to register as if one was from On, that was my experience.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a photocopy of a time card but no receipt of payment :crying:

I was so hoping to get started on my taxes...and I can't remember exactly how much I received, or for how long :angry:

Been There, Done That....Got the card to prove it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Too complicated

so here are some questions: :(

FACTS:

Married Sept 17

Both my husband and I had jobs, his in USA & mine in Canada (self employed)

We both have condos in Toronto that we rent out.

QUESTIONS: Do I have to file as married? Can I not still file as single?

Has anyone every dealt with outstanding first time home owners loan (cashing in RRSP's for first time homeowners). I was told today, that I needed to pay the Cdn government back all of the o/s money or declare it as income. EEK!

Why are people on this website discussing EI. Can one collected EI in the USA without having to work here first (like in Canada?). I have recieved my US work permit last week, and will look for a job, but being 5 1/2 mos pregnant is going to make things complicated.

Thanks.. I might use the advise previously suggested about hiring a tax expert

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes you can file for EI, it's a thing between USA & Canada. there used to be quite a lengthy thread on the board about it. You can prob get maternity benefits too, but I wouldn't mention that until you've got your work claim going.

Yes, the Cdn Income tax has to be prorated to the day you departed Canada. I believe I used a program like Turbo tax and it calculated it for you.

http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html

As well if one makes 50,000 usd adjusted gross income you may be able to file for free!!

I used the Turbo Tax and it seemed to fill out everything, even the foreign tax credit. I'm going to print it and go see my nice IRS lady tomorrow and see if I did it right...damn EI for not letting me sign in :angry:

Oh well, I guess my bad for losing my stack of receipts.

Been There, Done That....Got the card to prove it.

Timeline

31. I lost my EI Access Code. What do I do?

If you lose your Access Code, call our automated telephone information service at 1 800 206-7218 between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Monday to Friday) and press "0" to speak to a representative or go to your Service Canada Centre. In both cases, questions will be asked in order to verify your identity prior to issuing a new Access Code.

http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/isp/com...inefaq.shtml#15

Just a note...on that page it says if you aren't a resident, use the non-resident forms. However, when I called the International Tax office yesterday to ask for clarification, they told me that because I moved last year(2005), I would still use the forms from my former province for that year.

When in doubt best to call Canadian International Tax office, # is 1-800-267-5177

just called them and they told me the opposite - told me to use the non-resident forms. :(

Timeline
At http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/isp/common/tisoinfo.shtml you can view the T4E slip informations (they even tell in which boxes one shoud put the amounts); use those numbers till you'll have the actual slip in your hand.

thanks so much, I've been waiting for the T4E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.