S and S

Pets and middle eastern spouses

65 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Uh, no pets in the house?

Hehe! What cave did they come out of?

Dog, maybe - I could see that. Giving it a doghouse outside and a nice room to sit in where he's not wandering about ( I mean, I grew up in the USA - I have no probs with dogs - like them - but I wouldn't let my dog sleep in my bed or anything. )

My opinion - I don't trust people who don't like animals/pets. ;)

That simple.

Some dirtbag I knew who didn't like pets (cats in particular) and called them "dirty" - their house was SO FILTHY that I felt the need to shower after stepping foot in that dump. A relative said - that our bathroom (here, in my house) is better than that same person's *entire* house.

Yeah, our bathroom. XD Try and tell ME that cats are dirty. ;) [ erm, loonjobs keeping 10-50 cats don't count. The insane are insane. ]

Edited by KyanWan

The moral of my story: Stick with someone who matches your own culture.

( This coming from an Arab who married an Arab from overseas... go figure. )

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
the seven sleepers from surah al kahf had a dog with them. the dog's mentioned explicitly in verses 18 and 22. the dog was asleep the entire time they were, and not serving in any capacity as a watch dog or hunting dog. if that were the only allowed purpose for the animal, then he'd be pretty out of place in those verses. nevertheless, there he is.

Here is what I found on keeping dogs according to Islam though it is not my business what people keep in their homes:

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=976&...am%20and%20dogs

From what I understand it's permissible to keep a dog.

Bleh, I've seen yes and no answers to the same questions on the net. Even so far as to "this food is halal" and "this food is not halal" for the same thing on different sites.

Take anything you read on the net with a grain of salt. [Hehe, like the barcode adventures here. I read it, I was thinking "WOW! I do barcodes all the time!" - I chose to wait out for the real deal instead of testing the waters.... I didn't want to chance waiting months extra to save a week. ]

As for keeping a dog - it's mentioned by people who are following the right way in the Quran. If it's good enough for the Quran, then it's good enough for me.

Edited by KyanWan

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

I have seen lots of people with dogs that love them so much and truly enjoy the dogs being around. I cannot blame people for being happy with their dogs when I enjoy having cats. Everyone has their preference. Also, I was raised with cats and not dogs so my tendency is to not want a dog though I though of getting one at one time just for extra protection. If I had gotten one, it would have been kept outside as I find it is a lot more work to keep a dog inside. I used to let my cats outside since that meant I had less to clean up of their mess, but it is impossible to restrain a cat outside and I felt horrible when I lost a cat to being ran over (hit and run) on the street. A dog can be restrained (usually, lol), but we all know cats go where they want. Now I keep my current cat inside which is safer for her and keeps her cleaner.

I only mention the site above because I had never found anything saying it was okay to keep dogs. If I see good evidence than I am likely to change my mind about if it is good to keep one. Though my husband jokes he will get a dog just to take out my cat, so maybe it is better I don't see this evidence!!!

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Timeline

Honestly, our dog loves it outside. When we bring him in - he's at the door scratching to go back out and run around.

Whenever there's a T-storm, we bring the poor guy in ... he's scared of thunder.

Same when it gets cold - out in the day, in at night ( with a nice heater right by his side :) ).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think the real question is...does your cat approve of your husband?!?!? :lol:

Ramy didn't really want to have anything to do with the cat when he first arrived, and it appeared to be a mutual thing. Now he wants her to come pay attention to him and she just runs away from him and hides under the bed. You would think she'd be used to him after 5 months, especially since she used to love it when my guy friends would come over.

Divorced. To hell with him.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

Ramy didn't really want to have anything to do with the cat when he first arrived, and it appeared to be a mutual thing. Now he wants her to come pay attention to him and she just runs away from him and hides under the bed. You would think she'd be used to him after 5 months, especially since she used to love it when my guy friends would come over.

my cat dont really care much for my husband either. i dont know if its she is just a one person cat or if his perfumes bother her. ive noticed when i put on lotion she will come sniff but not let me touch her so i was wondering if its cuz he wears perfumes. also he likes to hold her close like a stuffed toy and she feels trapped. dont know what the problem is but i just know she runs from him too.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
the seven sleepers from surah al kahf had a dog with them. the dog's mentioned explicitly in verses 18 and 22. the dog was asleep the entire time they were, and not serving in any capacity as a watch dog or hunting dog. if that were the only allowed purpose for the animal, then he'd be pretty out of place in those verses. nevertheless, there he is.

Isn't one of the same hadeeths which states dogs passing in front of you invalidates a prayer also the same one which states that a woman passing in front of a man also invalidates your prayer? (Point I'm getting at being that it's considered a weak hadeeth.)

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Ammar and Belfry are secret buddies. They are always talking to eachother, and Belfry doesn't seem to care much about the Arabic-- it scares puddles a bit (sounds harsher I imagine). I figured that out pretty quick before he ever said anything about it because belfry sits where Ammar just was, is always all over his things, and clearly felt very attached to him... so I asked him one day-- what are you doing to be Belfry's friend? Are you petting him and talking to him when I'm not looking? He claimed no, but I have since caught him :)

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

My husband had a dog when he lived in Kuwait and I was very happy for that because he knew that my dog is like my child. The only thing he wanted me to change is her sleeping in my bed. Well before he came I was teaching her to sleep in her own bed and that cost me $300 in vet bills because she acted really hurt and I had to take her twice to the vet, get x-rays and everything and then the vet asked me if I had recently gotten a new pet or anything that has changed and my daughter looked at me and said "see she is just being a drama queen." I said no she is just acting like you! Well see adjusted and Hasan adjusted fine with her. Yesterday we took her to the bike path along the creek that runs through town and walked for two hours and let her swim. They even have a ritual every morning and eat mexican pasteries. He feeds the stray cats that are around the house. He buys cat treats to give the strays. My daughter is allergic to cats and he knows that we can't have one in the house or I am sure he would want one. He even puts her to bed when we go to bed and covers her with her blanket and fixes her pillow. He is the one that cuts her nails.

He hates that her hair gets everywhere so when we got a new couch and love seat he put her blanket on the recliner and appointed that her seat and she does really well.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...mageID=25694110

I am not sure if this link will work cos it wouldn't let me upload her photo but it is a pic of my dog Shelia.

Jul 20, 2006 Arrived in Amman, Jordan

Jul 24, 2006 Married in Amman, Jordan

Oct 11, 2006 I130 Approval Oct. 26, 2006 I129F Approval

Nov. 8, 2006 Recieved letter that I-129 was sent to Amman, Jordan

Dec 13, 2006 Recieved Package from Amman Embassy for K3 Intreview date Aug. 15,2007

Mar 05,2007 Embassy called interview scheduled for March 19th

Mar 19, 2007 Interview for K3- AP

May 20, 2007 Embassy called for Hasan to send in his passport!!!

May 24, 2007 Recieved Interview date of June 5th for CR1?

June 05, 2007 Interviewed and she said he was approved, kept passport and said will recieve in 4 days.

June 12, 2007 VISA IN HAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2007 Hasan arrived in the USA and so very happy!

June 26, 2007 Applied for SSN

July 06, 2007 SSN in hand

July 25, 2007 Green Card in Hand!

Aug 13, 2007 Behind the wheel test, Passed. Now has California DL

I-751

Mar 26, 2009 Sent in I-751

Mar 28, 2009 Proof received

April 1, 2009 check cashed

April 3, 2009 NOA Received

April 16,2009 received bio appt letter

April 24, 2009 Biometrics Appointment

June 6, 2009 Removal of Conditions Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 17, 2009 10 Year Green Card in hand!

Filed: Other Timeline

Do MENA ppl keep birds as pets? I think some very orthodox Hindus do not believe in keeping dogs and cats in the house(maybe because they need to eat meat?) but I saw a lot of pet parrots in Nepal and India. My sweet Senegal parrot Lani Girl died in October '06 and I miss having a parrot in the house so much - she was my baby... :cry: Govi loves all animals as well and we have talked about getting another parrot - I have held off on getting another one because I want to get a bird that gets along with both of us.

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
Do MENA ppl keep birds as pets? I think some very orthodox Hindus do not believe in keeping dogs and cats in the house(maybe because they need to eat meat?) but I saw a lot of pet parrots in Nepal and India. My sweet Senegal parrot Lani Girl died in October '06 and I miss having a parrot in the house so much - she was my baby... :cry: Govi loves all animals as well and we have talked about getting another parrot - I have held off on getting another one because I want to get a bird that gets along with both of us.

Birds are very popular pets in Palestine. But I only saw parrots there a couple of times -- birds like finches are much more common.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
I am just curious, but do any of you have pets and you had to convince your spouse that it is okay to keep them in the house? I had to go look for fatwas to convince my husband it was Islamically permissable to keep a cat in the house, but thank God I proved it to him. Though he is still unsure about the idea, he has come around a lot since the beginning. I convinced him I could not survive the lonliness if I didn't at least have a pet for this long wait until he comes. Really, having a pet does help a lot, at least for me. Not sure why, but many middle eastern people do not like to let their pets live in the house, though some will have pets. My husband was shocked by all the amenities we have for pets. He joked that our pets have it better than the Iraqis do.

Just wondering what everyone else's opinion is.

I dont like animals (except fish in tanks). I dont like their smell, hair, excretions etc

When my husband and I first got together we got dogs because he loves dogs and wanted them.

When I got pregnant my (tunisian) mother in law freaked out and said the dogs needed to be out of the house?!

Anyway we didnt listen to her but after the baby was born the dogs went to my mom and never came back because we were busy with the baby, i was relieved and my husband didnt care anymore because he had a baby.

My husband keeps mentioning new dogs and I refuse!!! Dont even get me started on cats!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline
My husband had a dog when he lived in Kuwait and I was very happy for that because he knew that my dog is like my child. The only thing he wanted me to change is her sleeping in my bed. Well before he came I was teaching her to sleep in her own bed and that cost me $300 in vet bills because she acted really hurt and I had to take her twice to the vet, get x-rays and everything and then the vet asked me if I had recently gotten a new pet or anything that has changed and my daughter looked at me and said "see she is just being a drama queen." I said no she is just acting like you! Well see adjusted and Hasan adjusted fine with her. Yesterday we took her to the bike path along the creek that runs through town and walked for two hours and let her swim. They even have a ritual every morning and eat mexican pasteries. He feeds the stray cats that are around the house. He buys cat treats to give the strays. My daughter is allergic to cats and he knows that we can't have one in the house or I am sure he would want one. He even puts her to bed when we go to bed and covers her with her blanket and fixes her pillow. He is the one that cuts her nails.

He hates that her hair gets everywhere so when we got a new couch and love seat he put her blanket on the recliner and appointed that her seat and she does really well.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...mageID=25694110

I am not sure if this link will work cos it wouldn't let me upload her photo but it is a pic of my dog Shelia.

seams the link worked...i could see little ne ne. cute.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

My hubby wants Doves. He says his dad use to raise them. :)

MY HOT ARAB HUBBY!!

dreamy_Riyad-2.jpg2615261345_a42ed1904a.jpg

No one tell the hubby! Oh wait I already told HIM! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.