S and S

Pets and middle eastern spouses

65 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

my husband loves animals-- outside. He insisted that the cats go outside as soon as he came... but then once he arrived he decided to put up with them for a bit because they had no place TO go outside and I wouldn't let them. he freaked out every time they came near him and it was like torture. he closed off the bedroom and would freak out about them being on anything but the floor. Slowly he got over it and now he doesn't get up and yell arabic curses if they touch him...now I catch him talking to them and petting them. He still would prefer them to go outside and he still hates that they are on the couch, but he doesn't do anything about it. It's an individual preference thing. Some people just do not like aniumals and when that is cultured with a cultural belief that aniumals are dirty and belong outside, then in some people that is unbreakable.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We have two cats that were Wadi's idea to adopt. He'd really like a dog, but that's not a possibility at the moment since we're still apartment dwellers. He tells me his family had pet cats while he was growing up.

Yes, Molly is fat and happy at my daughter Jessicas house. It has been 4 years since I gave her up and she still to this day will look at me as if to say 'When are you bringing me home?' I still call her 'my' baby. I work full time and I can't have her where I am now. La Princessa doesn't care if I am gone 9 hours. Molly Tamale would worry herself to a frazzle if left alone that long. :D

glad to hear that :)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband never had pets and didnt know what to expect but bless his heart he not only grew to love the 2 cats I had when he got here but he also loves the 4 orphaned strays I have taken in over time. I beleive he would like a dog but we just cant do it for now with all these rotten cats :)

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

my husband loves animals-- outside. He insisted that the cats go outside as soon as he came... but then once he arrived he decided to put up with them for a bit because they had no place TO go outside and I wouldn't let them. he freaked out every time they came near him and it was like torture. he closed off the bedroom and would freak out about them being on anything but the floor. Slowly he got over it and now he doesn't get up and yell arabic curses if they touch him...now I catch him talking to them and petting them. He still would prefer them to go outside and he still hates that they are on the couch, but he doesn't do anything about it. It's an individual preference thing. Some people just do not like aniumals and when that is cultured with a cultural belief that aniumals are dirty and belong outside, then in some people that is unbreakable.

Mine had the exact same reaction to my dog. The cat wasn't as much of a problem but he didn't like it on the couch. He slowly accepted the dog until it was time for us to move and about 2 days before we moved he let it be known that we absolutely WOULD NOT be taking the dog and we HAD to get rid of 2 of our cats :crying: I miss those guys. The 2 cats we kept were coz 1 of them shares a birthday with my son and we've had him since my son was 6 months old. They are the exact same age. The other cat is one my husband fell in love with at the pet store one day and bought so of course, he didn't wanna let her go.

So, to sum up, yes the pets were great before he got here but after he got here and saw that they actually lived with us.. it has been torture on everyone. We still have our days...... Good luck to you!

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
I am just curious, but do any of you have pets and you had to convince your spouse that it is okay to keep them in the house? I had to go look for fatwas to convince my husband it was Islamically permissable to keep a cat in the house, but thank God I proved it to him. Though he is still unsure about the idea, he has come around a lot since the beginning. I convinced him I could not survive the lonliness if I didn't at least have a pet for this long wait until he comes. Really, having a pet does help a lot, at least for me. Not sure why, but many middle eastern people do not like to let their pets live in the house, though some will have pets. My husband was shocked by all the amenities we have for pets. He joked that our pets have it better than the Iraqis do.

Just wondering what everyone else's opinion is.

Latin Americans are like that also,not just Middle Easterns.I won't get another dog because two of mine died and I was bawling :crying: just as if they were people who died.But my fiance wants a Rottweiler and thinks he can keep it outside.Oh well,that's what HE thinks.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I am just curious, but do any of you have pets and you had to convince your spouse that it is okay to keep them in the house? I had to go look for fatwas to convince my husband it was Islamically permissable to keep a cat in the house, but thank God I proved it to him. Though he is still unsure about the idea, he has come around a lot since the beginning. I convinced him I could not survive the lonliness if I didn't at least have a pet for this long wait until he comes. Really, having a pet does help a lot, at least for me. Not sure why, but many middle eastern people do not like to let their pets live in the house, though some will have pets. My husband was shocked by all the amenities we have for pets. He joked that our pets have it better than the Iraqis do.

Just wondering what everyone else's opinion is.

this sounds just like what I went through. I have two indoor/outdoor pets a cat and an insane/manic/boxer puppy. at first my husband did not like my dog at ALL but he saw how much I love her and has worked really hard to accept her. He also told me he would never make me get rid of her cause I love her but if it were his choice we wouldn't have a dog. As for the cat he likes her because in comparisson of the dog shes polite and well behaved. It has been two months now and I am happy to say my husband goes to the dog parh with us and throws the ball for lucy (thanks to a device called the chuck it) . In the end things all worked out and he even likes her now :)

I think it is cultural , not many people have pets (dogs - cats) in the middle east especially like here in the us.

K1 process

10/05/2006 filled :)

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

01/26/2008 visa in hand with a typo :(

02/03/2008 2 weeks more of waiting.... Visa in hand...... :)

2/20/2008 on US soil :)

2/21/2008 marriage :)

AOS

03/12/2008 Sent AOS/Work/Travel

03/16/2008 shows delivered chicago

4/12/2008 check cashed :)

4/13/2008 NOA's for all 3

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/06/2008 RFE 2007 tax return

5/07/2008 returned RFE overnight

5/08/2008 received-lees summit

5/12/08 case updated online/RFE received

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/27/08 emails sent in afternoon AP and EAD approvals

5/29/08 AP touch

5/29/08 email EAD card production ordered

6/02/08 AP in hand

6/03/08 email EAD card mailed

6/05/08 EAD card in hand :)

7/28/08 AOS letter received

9/02/08 AOS interview

9/10/08 card production ordered email :)

9/17/08 welcome letter email and snail mail arrive same day

9/19/08 Greencard in hand :)

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Mine had the exact same reaction to my dog. The cat wasn't as much of a problem but he didn't like it on the couch. He slowly accepted the dog until it was time for us to move and about 2 days before we moved he let it be known that we absolutely WOULD NOT be taking the dog and we HAD to get rid of 2 of our cats :crying: I miss those guys. The 2 cats we kept were coz 1 of them shares a birthday with my son and we've had him since my son was 6 months old. They are the exact same age. The other cat is one my husband fell in love with at the pet store one day and bought so of course, he didn't wanna let her go.

So, to sum up, yes the pets were great before he got here but after he got here and saw that they actually lived with us.. it has been torture on everyone. We still have our days...... Good luck to you!

Hearing that makes me so upset!!! ARGH!!! I can't imagine if my husband said something like that to me. I would definitely NOT get rid of my cats for anyone unless they were extremely allergic. Even then I would take his azz to the doctor to get some medicines first! :ranting: I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Grrrr!

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

I am not suprised about the dogs. I couldn't find anything good about dogs when I searched Islamic material for it. The only thing it said was that dogs should only be kept around for guard or work purposes, outside that is (so if that could help anyone).

I found lots of positive things about cats in Islam that you can use against your spouses. If anyone wants to read the quotes let me know, I kept them saved just in case after my husband gets here and if he doesn't want the cat around. Then I can prove that she is even considered "clean" in Islam. He still threatens that she should not sleep on the bed, but everyone knows that convincing cats of that is no walk in the park.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline
I think it is cultural , not many people have pets (dogs - cats) in the middle east especially like here in the us.

I agree and I have to say, what my husband REALLY thought was weird were the stores like Petco and PetSmart, huge stores all full of just pet foods and supplies. His experience in Morocco was that the animals just eat whatever they can find or what someone tosses to them. and I also was one of those that fed every stray cat I saw when I was there. I just couldnt help it.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

I am really loving that so many of us were over in the middle east feading the poor stray cats. I swear there were a million of them and many looked malnurished, though a few didn't. I never saw dogs at all in the big cities, but cats were everywhere.

Oh, and about petsmart, that is one of the first places I want to take my husband just to shock him, lol.

Edited by S and S

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

yeah neither pet is allowed on the bed......

K1 process

10/05/2006 filled :)

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

01/26/2008 visa in hand with a typo :(

02/03/2008 2 weeks more of waiting.... Visa in hand...... :)

2/20/2008 on US soil :)

2/21/2008 marriage :)

AOS

03/12/2008 Sent AOS/Work/Travel

03/16/2008 shows delivered chicago

4/12/2008 check cashed :)

4/13/2008 NOA's for all 3

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/06/2008 RFE 2007 tax return

5/07/2008 returned RFE overnight

5/08/2008 received-lees summit

5/12/08 case updated online/RFE received

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/27/08 emails sent in afternoon AP and EAD approvals

5/29/08 AP touch

5/29/08 email EAD card production ordered

6/02/08 AP in hand

6/03/08 email EAD card mailed

6/05/08 EAD card in hand :)

7/28/08 AOS letter received

9/02/08 AOS interview

9/10/08 card production ordered email :)

9/17/08 welcome letter email and snail mail arrive same day

9/19/08 Greencard in hand :)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline
Latin Americans are like that also,not just Middle Easterns.I won't get another dog because two of mine died and I was bawling just as if they were people who died.But my fiance wants a Rottweiler and thinks he can keep it outside.Oh well,that's what HE thinks.
:thumbs:

I was just going to jump in and say that my grandmother, who is now passed, always thought animals stay outside, they are dirty :wacko: , My great grandmother took it even a step more, told my mother she had seen me playing with the flithy animals, and my soul was damned, it just wasn't right. Ok so yes, she saw me trying to lift my leg to use the potty like the dog did. :crying: Needless to say, this went over really well with my family, but I never changed, and always had some kind of animal with me. So I am used to hearing that animals belong outside. :devil:

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

Animals on beds and couches that's absolutely disgusting in my opinion. My spouse doesn't like that either. Our chihuahua only understands arabic & french commands tho :P .

بحبك يا حبيبي اكمني بهواك و بحس انك مني

5474201_bodyshot_300x400_1214598846979.gif

5474626_bodyshot_300x400_1214601075246.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.