Marlita

Jamaica and the NVC

223 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello All,

I decided to start a thread for all us CR1/IR1 filers petitioning for someone in Jamaica. There's alot of information that can be gathered from the VJ NVC threads but I thought that having one specific to us JA filers could help alot. There are a few things that are specific to Jamaica during the NVC process so this thread will be sort of a one-stop-shop.

• During NVC you can choose to speed up the process by using James Shortcuts
  • The US Embassy in Jamaica is an appointment post embassy....this essentially means that the Embassy only performs the interview. The NVC schedules the interview and collects ALL fees and paperwork. At the time the appointment is scheduled, the NVC will send an appointment letter to all interested parties (applicant, petitioner, and agent/attorney of record, if applicable) notifying them of the date, time, and location of the interview; and forward the petition to the embassy in Kingston.
So post any questions or concerns you have during the NVC to Interview process here.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hello All,

I decided to start a thread for all us CR1/IR1 filers petitioning for someone in Jamaica. There's alot of information that can be gathered from the VJ NVC threads but I thought that having one specific to us JA filers could help alot. There are a few things that are specific to Jamaica during the NVC process so this thread will be sort of a one-stop-shop.

• The US Embassy in Jamaica is an appointment post embassy....this essentially means that the Embassy only performs the interview. The NVC schedules the interview and collects ALL fees and paperwork. At the time the appointment is scheduled, the NVC will send an appointment letter to all interested parties (applicant, petitioner, and agent/attorney of record, if applicable) notifying them of the date, time, and location of the interview; and forward the petition to the embassy in Kingston.
So post any questions or concerns you have during the NVC to Interview process here.

Marlita :dance:

You r something else!

You always have so much knowledge on whats what.

I had never heard of James Shortcut.

I read alot and that never came my way until now.

Thankyou.

I myself really dont know what way to go now with the CRI/IR1 or the K-3. I just need my hubby asap!!

I know the cost differ but what is the time differ between the two??

Mrz. Bailey 2 U!!

Timeline

Hey Bailey! Girl I forgot you just got your NOA2!! Woo Hoo....you're on your way. Your about a couple steps behind me as far as your timeline tells.

Well as far as the K3 vs CR1 visa....I think many people will tell you to go CR1 if you are at this stage now. The only problem is since the new fee hike back in July 2007, the K3 visa route didnt have an additional fee payment. So the idea is that once you submit that I-129F to apply for K3 you cannot go back to CR1. USCIS is supposed to forward only your K3 (I-129F) approved application and save your CR1 (I-130) application for when your husband arrives and decides to adjust status. I have heard that some people are still having both their I-130 processed at NVC while their K3 visa moves on to the Embassy.

I would strongly suggest you do the CR1 if still possible. You can call the NVC once you get a KNG# and ask if your CR1 visa is still being processed and that you want to abandon the K3. The reason I encourage the CR1 is because its not that far behind the K3 and in the end you will be DONE for 2 years. With the K3 you will have to file AOS within 90 days and that fee is $1010 or so! The CR1 has fees in total of $470 during the NVC process. Your K3 will also have fees during the NVC/Embassy stage...same as every other visa. That includes police certificate...medical...and another visa fee of $100. Its just a really expensive and time consuming visa and I estimate that you may be approved only 2 months earlier than the CR1 would....if that.

So if you want to rid yourself of immigration for awhile especially after your husband arrives CR1 is best. If 2 months means more to you then stay with the K3.

I can tell that your NOA2's came really late because you filed an I-129F a good 3 months after you filed your I-130. Filing for that K3 actually hurt you because it put you in the October priority dates instead of July. This is why I think your CR1 will be approved around the same time as your K3 making the K3 not the best choice right now.

Edited by Marlita

Timeline
Hey Bailey! Girl I forgot you just got your NOA2!! Woo Hoo....you're on your way. Your about a couple steps behind me as far as your timeline tells.

Well as far as the K3 vs CR1 visa....I think many people will tell you to go CR1 if you are at this stage now. The only problem is since the new fee hike back in July 2007, the K3 visa route didnt have an additional fee payment. So the idea is that once you submit that I-129F to apply for K3 you cannot go back to CR1. USCIS is supposed to forward only your K3 (I-129F) approved application and save your CR1 (I-130) application for when your husband arrives and decides to adjust status. I have heard that some people are still having both their I-130 processed at NVC while their K3 visa moves on to the Embassy.

I would strongly suggest you do the CR1 if still possible. You can call the NVC once you get a KNG# and ask if your CR1 visa is still being processed and that you want to abandon the K3. The reason I encourage the CR1 is because its not that far behind the K3 and in the end you will be DONE for 2 years. With the K3 you will have to file AOS within 90 days and that fee is $1010 or so! The CR1 has fees in total of $470 during the NVC process. Your K3 will also have fees during the NVC/Embassy stage...same as every other visa. That includes police certificate...medical...and another visa fee of $100. Its just a really expensive and time consuming visa and I estimate that you may be approved only 2 months earlier than the CR1 would....if that.

So if you want to rid yourself of immigration for awhile especially after your husband arrives CR1 is best. If 2 months means more to you then stay with the K3.

I can tell that your NOA2's came really late because you filed an I-129F a good 3 months after you filed your I-130. Filing for that K3 actually hurt you because it put you in the October priority dates instead of July. This is why I think your CR1 will be approved around the same time as your K3 making the K3 not the best choice right now.

Hey Lita!!

THANK YOU

so the next document I need to prepare is the DS-230? so when I get to NVC that is the first thing I send off? no? SCREAM.

I will read the james short cuts again.

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

10-29-07 Overnighted I-130 to VSC

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

9-5-08 Paid AOS bill online

10-8-08 Paid IV bill online

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

2-19-09 INTERVIEW 8:30am, APPROVED

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Shrewdie;

I think the first document that you process with the NVC is the DS-3032 (choice of agent form) and the AOS (affidavit of support) fee bill of $70. After these are completed you will get the visa fee bill ($400) and after those are processed it will generate the DS-230 and the AOS packet. Barring any RFE your case should be completed with them and then they will schedule your interview and forward your case to the embassy and send you, your hubby and agent the interview letter.

Good luck!

Edited by clairern

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I want to :crying: !

Thankyou Marlita.

Two months is not much differ now since we been waiting this long.. lol

We par for him to be able to wk when he get here with no problems.

The CR1 sounds like the better deal.

I just hope Im not to late to do so!!

Mrz. Bailey 2 U!!

Timeline
Shrewdie;

I think the first document that you process with the NVC is the DS-3032 (choice of agent form) and the AOS (affidavit of support) fee bill of $70. After these are completed you will get the visa fee bill ($400) and after those are processed it will generate the DS-230 and the AOS packet. Barring any RFE your case should be completed with them and then they will schedule your interview and forward your case to the embassy and send you, your hubby and agent the interview letter.

Good luck!

gollee! thanks you! That is what I needed to know..maybe I am just too "slow" to have understood it any other time!! Thanks so much!!!!!!!

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

Timeline
Hello All,

So I have a question...once Kingston receives the petition, what do they do with it? Are they just stashing it somewhere until interview time because everything else has already been done, or is there some additional paperwork or processing that they will do? And Lita...thanks again for starting this...you're a godsend...you're going to help a lot of people!! :thumbs:

4ABAm4.png

Removing Conditions:

10/27/11: Petition mailed to VSC

10/28/11: Package received and signed for by Renaud

10/31/11: NOA1

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hello All,

So I have a question...once Kingston receives the petition, what do they do with it? Are they just stashing it somewhere until interview time because everything else has already been done, or is there some additional paperwork or processing that they will do? And Lita...thanks again for starting this...you're a godsend...you're going to help a lot of people!! :thumbs:

Hey Tamisha;

I think that all Kingston does is hold the file until the interview date. They actually review the medical and conduct the interview then approve or deny the visa and issue it if approved. :thumbs: With this little to do I would think it would free them up to conduct interviews earlier than the two months one has to wait after case complete. Wouldn't you think???

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

Timeline

Your right Claire. Kingston embassy just conducts the interview and reviews medical and such. Why it STILL takes so long for an interview is beyond me. NVC is the one scheduling it so unless Kingston is telling NVC to hold off on scheduling interviews, something is really out of wack here.

Anyway Shrewdie, yes like Claire said the DS3032 and AOS fee bill is the 1st thing to prepare for the NVC. The DS230 is the LAST thing usually.

For DS3032 please think about having your spouse email it as soon as you hear on the NVC automated line(603-334-0700). This will save at least a weeks time. Otherwise have a signed copy from your spouse ready to go as soon as you hear the generated message.

My husband emailed them at NVCInquiry@state.gov

Dear Sir or Madam,

> My name is (beneficiary full name), my visa case number is #KNG2008------

> Per the DS-3032, I would like to appoint my

> wife as my agent of choice to receive all the correspondence from NVC.

> Her name and address is:

> (Petitioner name)

> DOB

> street address

> city, state zip

> ......

> All mail from the U.S. Department of State concerning my immigration visa

> application should be sent to the address above. Thank you for your help.

>

> Sincerely yours,

> (beneficiary name)

> <KNG2008------>

> DOB

Please title your email: NVC Case Number:KNG2008------ - (beneficiary full name)

This has worked for many people. The NVC will send you an automated message confirming the receipt of email and within a week will send another email confirming acceptance (or not) of your DS3032. I would still have a signed copy of a DS3032 just in case you need to mail it in.

Timeline
Your right Claire. Kingston embassy just conducts the interview and reviews medical and such. Why it STILL takes so long for an interview is beyond me. NVC is the one scheduling it so unless Kingston is telling NVC to hold off on scheduling interviews, something is really out of wack here.

Anyway Shrewdie, yes like Claire said the DS3032 and AOS fee bill is the 1st thing to prepare for the NVC. The DS230 is the LAST thing usually.

For DS3032 please think about having your spouse email it as soon as you hear on the NVC automated line(603-334-0700). This will save at least a weeks time. Otherwise have a signed copy from your spouse ready to go as soon as you hear the generated message.

Dear Sir or Madam,

> (Petitioner name)

> DOB

> street address

> city, state zip

> ......

>

> Sincerely yours,

> (beneficiary name)

> <KNG2008------>

> DOB

Please title your email: NVC Case Number:KNG2008------ - (beneficiary full name)

This has worked for many people. The NVC will send you an automated message confirming the receipt of email and within a week will send another email confirming acceptance (or not) of your DS3032. I would still have a signed copy of a DS3032 just in case you need to mail it in.

Thats awesome Lita.. I didnt know..

Marsh doesnt have email.... lives in the bush you know..

so...couldnt I just have an email for him? or is that too sketch and risky?

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

Timeline

Dear Sir or Madam,

> (Petitioner name)

> DOB

> street address

> city, state zip

> ......

>

> Sincerely yours,

> (beneficiary name)

> <KNG2008------>

> DOB

Thats awesome Lita.. I didnt know..

Marsh doesnt have email.... lives in the bush you know..

so...couldnt I just have an email for him? or is that too sketch and risky?

This question came up before in the NVC forum. You can open an email for him, and send it. just send it as if its coming from him, and not you.

Timeline

Marlita,

Thank you so much for starting this thread......it is so much easier than searching the entire website.

We filed our IR-1....sent in all our documents but my hubby got a RFE(NVC said it was sent of March 29...but nothing yet :whistle: ) I wonder how much longer this letter will take to arrive. My hubby want to travel to Ja. by the end of the week....and ooh by the way im keeping my fingers cross that he gets his US passport by then (He applied on April 9th :blush: ).

We seem to have so much on our plates. Any suggestions???

Thanks guys,

Kishmar

"Love is patient, love is kind, love keeps no record of wrongs"

Timeline

Does anyone knows how long it takes the NVC to review a DS-230??? NVC operator told me they received it on April 7th.

Thanks,

Kishmar

"Love is patient, love is kind, love keeps no record of wrongs"

Timeline

Thanks for starting this thread...this will be really helpful..my hubby is in Kingston now applying for his police record...this is the website if anyone needs info for applying for the police record: http://www.mns.org.jm/ApplyingforPoliceRec...79/Default.aspx

I'm planning to do the email thing too...setting one up under my hubby name...he lives in the bushes too...LOL... I found another thing interesting about how NVC assigns case #(thought I would share it)

3 letters=embassy

first 4#s = year

next 3 = subtract 500 and that is the day of the year when the case was assigned (ex.724-500=224th day on calendar = 08.13)

the last couple of digits = how many petitions they received for that embassy on that day they entered it in the system(ex. 029=your the 29 petition they received for KNG)

The only thing I'm not sure about that is if they mean all petitions like CR-1, K-1s etc...or per specific petition.

Just a little knowledge I would like to share. :thumbs: I hope everyone has a speedy NVC experience because USCIS was sure not. :whistle:

NVC Journey Total days: 75

04.09.2008: Case# assigned

05.12.2008: DS230 Entered into System

06.18.2008: Case Complete (So upset that it took this long 37days)

US Embassy:

10.29.2008: Interview Date Assigned

11.17.2008: Medical Appointment

12.03.2008: Interview Date (FINALLY!!!)**APPROVED**

12.08.2008: Visa Delivered

12.21.2008: POE JFK

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.