Sherlock

What to do after citizenship

24 posts in this topic

OK, after we get the naturalization certificate, we apply for the passport. That part is straightforward.

Is there any other org that we're supposed to update with new status? Drivers license? Social Security? Anyone?

--------------------

Naturalization Timeline

28 JUL 2007 - Sent N-400 and supporting documentation

20 AUG 2007 - Bank Website indicates check has been cashed

15 NOV 2007 - Received NOA

28 NOV 2007 - Received Biometrics Appointment letter

18 DEC 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

14 MAR 2008 - Received Interview Appointment letter

05 APR 2008 - Interview (Baltimore) SUCCESS!!

14 APR 2008 - Citizenship Oath

17 APR 2008 - Applied for US Passport

03 May 2008 - US Passport Received!!!

**Any comments or advice given by me is based on the circumstances of my specific case, and does not infer an in-depth knowledge of immigration law.**

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
OK, after we get the naturalization certificate, we apply for the passport. That part is straightforward.

Is there any other org that we're supposed to update with new status? Drivers license? Social Security? Anyone?

No - nothing really changes except that now - you can vote and travel as a US citizen (many countries let you fly in and stamp you for 30 or 90 days visit, without any questions being asked). The next time you fill out some forms, you can start marking US citizen instead of LPR. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Report this to Social Security, the benefits that you will be entitled to from that department are different for citizens vs lawful residents. This has to do with SSI.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

It's optional, but you probably ought to register to vote. If you want to vote, you generally need to register well in advance of the election. Different states have different deadlines.

Here's some info on how to register.

http://www.eac.gov/voter/Register%20to%20Vote

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

You have to go to social security to change your status. all you have to do is bring your certificate and you will have to fill out a form and they mail you a new card with the same number. well they sent me a new card, i dont know if they do that for everyone. best of luck.

Mother filing for sister

USCIS

Mailed I-130 11/19/2010

Approved 03/09/2011

NVC

DS-3032 mailed

AOS fee bill generated

AOS fee bill paid

DS 3032 received

IV Fee bill generated and paid

I-864 package mailed

ds-230 mailed

case complete

interview date

Green card granted

Filed: Timeline

When I took the oath ceremony the emphasis was really on informing Social Security. The did talk about getting a passport, and registering to vote but both these were kind of optional. However they again and again stressed on going first to the Social Security office and informing them of your change in status.

Removing Conditioins

02/25/08 Mailed I751

03/05/08 Check cashed by Californice Service Center not Nebraska!

03/07/08 Got NOA1 Dated 02/27/08

03/15/08 Biometrics Letter rec'd

03/31/08 Biometrics Done

06/03/08 Got Approval Email

06/10/08 Gr. Card Received!

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and nothing I say should be taken as legal advice, only an opinion.

Timeline
When I took the oath ceremony the emphasis was really on informing Social Security. The did talk about getting a passport, and registering to vote but both these were kind of optional. However they again and again stressed on going first to the Social Security office and informing them of your change in status.

I have been a citizen since 1986 - I was never told that and I never informed SS - because they are irrelevant for me - my retirement is from a private institution. The SS card doesn't say anything about being a citizen on it either, does it?

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

AOS

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Removal of conditions

April 16 Biometrics done

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

I have been a citizen since 1986 - I was never told that and I never informed SS - because they are irrelevant for me - my retirement is from a private institution. The SS card doesn't say anything about being a citizen on it either, does it?

You should read this:

http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html

Mother filing for sister

USCIS

Mailed I-130 11/19/2010

Approved 03/09/2011

NVC

DS-3032 mailed

AOS fee bill generated

AOS fee bill paid

DS 3032 received

I-864 package mailed

ds-230 mailed

case complete

interview date

Green card granted

Timeline

You missed my reason - SS is irrelevant for me. I have not paid into SS (I have a private pension plan) and will not be eligible for any SS benefits and I am okay with that (my benefits are about 5 times that of SS). As it is, we will probably live in USA only part-time and may be move out completely once we decide where we want to live. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

AOS

Removal of conditions

April 16 Biometrics done

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

You missed my reason - SS is irrelevant for me. I have not paid into SS (I have a private pension plan) and will not be eligible for any SS benefits and I am okay with that (my benefits are about 5 times that of SS). As it is, we will probably live in USA only part-time and may be move out completely once we decide where we want to live. Good Luck

It might be irrelevant to you but AFAIK anyone who earns legal wages in the US has to pay SS.

Removing Conditioins

02/25/08 Mailed I751

03/31/08 Biometrics Done

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and nothing I say should be taken as legal advice, only an opinion.

Timeline
It might be irrelevant to you but AFAIK anyone who earns legal wages in the US has to pay SS.

Whoa! Are you saying I earned 'Illegal wages'? Why did I pay all those taxes then! Damn! I wish I had known earlier and never paid those taxes. :rofl:

My whole point was that the SS notification is not valid for some of us. People actually receive SS even if they never become citizen - I have a friend who decided not to become a citizen and is receiving SS benefits - remember they used to issue permanent greencards - not this new method of 2 year and 10 year cards?

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

AOS

Removal of conditions

April 16 Biometrics done

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

I don't see whats the point of arguing.. Now that we know we have that option, we can choose to utilize it or let it go.. Its entirely up to the individual. We are here to learn things and if a person chooses not to follow someones advice then thats their own business.

Mother filing for sister

USCIS

Mailed I-130 11/19/2010

Approved 03/09/2011

NVC

DS-3032 mailed

AOS fee bill generated

AOS fee bill paid

DS 3032 received

I-864 package mailed

ds-230 mailed

case complete

interview date

Green card granted

I don't see whats the point of arguing.. Now that we know we have that option, we can choose to utilize it or let it go.. Its entirely up to the individual. We are here to learn things and if a person chooses not to follow someones advice then thats their own business.

People learn by arguing ^_^ Offcourse there are norms to be followed...

It is definitely up to the individual to do what they want but when we present our viewpoint, listen to other people's view point we gain more insight, sometime realize our mistakes, sometimes help others realize, and mostly just have fun :lol:

Removing Conditioins

02/25/08 Mailed I751

03/31/08 Biometrics Done

Whoa! Are you saying I earned 'Illegal wages'? Why did I pay all those taxes then! Damn! I wish I had known earlier and never paid those taxes. :rofl:

My whole point was that the SS notification is not valid for some of us. People actually receive SS even if they never become citizen - I have a friend who decided not to become a citizen and is receiving SS benefits - remember they used to issue permanent greencards - not this new method of 2 year and 10 year cards?

Motu I was not saying you earned illegal wages. My point was that you are probably payin SS since most people have to pay Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) tax which funds SS. And if you are not than by @#$#@$ why am I!!! If there is a legal way not to pay SS then I do not want to either since it is most probably going to be irrelevant by the time I retire.

However since paying the taxes towards SS are mandatory (AFAIK) and the benefits are different for citizens then why not take those benerifts? If I am paying SS then whatever tiny weeny bit I can garner from SS I would like to have that. If I do not need it then I can give it to charity but why let the govt keep it!

BTW If you are not paying FICA then what is the basis of your exemption?

Removing Conditioins

02/25/08 Mailed I751

03/31/08 Biometrics Done

Timeline
BTW If you are not paying FICA then what is the basis of your exemption?

I, like many others - and there are thousands of employees in city/state/federal agencies that fall under this - have 'alternative pension programs' - We paid our portion to our fund - (yes the same 8% that others pay for Social Security) - though it may vary from city to state to federal. Our employer (mine was the state of Colorado) - paid the matching portion (just like under SS) - but our pension administrator has lower costs for the state. Then the pension administrators takes care of the funds and have defined benefits (in my case) which are far superior to SS benefits. And since, we do not pay SS - we are not eligible for Social Security and other benefits - and there are hundreds of thousands of people like me, perhaps millions. There are people in private sector who salivate when they hear about our retirement program - the downsize is you may not make as much money as in the private sector. I thought retirement was something that didn't matter and after a few years of working, I realized that I could retire and collect pension as early as age 50! I did retire at age 55! Good Luck to all of you

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

AOS

Removal of conditions

April 16 Biometrics done

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.