dave_21061

Fiancee has sister in US illegally - DS156 question 37

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

I have received the NOA2 for my fiancee Maria and am now filling out the K1 application forms for her. Question 37 on the DS156 asks if she has any relatives in the US. She has a sister who came here eight years ago and who stayed after her visa expired. I'm not sure what type of visa her sister came on - her godparents who were US citizens brought her into the country. They told her she could go to school here (she was college age when she came), but wound up putting her to work in their home so she eventually ran away and today lives and works illegally.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Maria is worried about her sister getting in trouble. I don't think this is likely because there are ten million people here illegally and the government is not going to track one of them down because she is mentioned on a visa application. Still my fiancee worries about getting blamed for something bad happening to her sister.

Of course we also worry about this causing her visa to be denied. I would think if we were honest about it it shouldn't be a big mark against her - she isn't responsible for what her sister did years ago. On the other hand if we lie about it I think it would be much worse if we were caught than if we were honest. Theoretically they could tell she has a sister here since her visa application would have the same parents on it and her visa expired and there is no record of her leaving the country - although I doubt the government is this organized.

Maria is a Filipina who is working in Israel, so it would be the Tel Aviv embassy staff who would be reviewing this.

Any advice and stories of others similar experience would be much appreciated. Things have gone very good so far with the application so far but this question is causing us a bit of stress - she is particularly worried about her sister.

Thanks,

Dave

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Has the family been in contact with the sister? Like do you all know where she is and what she is doing or did she just kind of run away from everybody and they have no idea?

Timeline:

11-15-2005: Sent in I-129F to VSC

11-21-2005: NOA1

11-29-2005: NOA2

12-05-2005: NVC recieved

12-17-2005: Packet 3 received from Dublin

1-11-2006: Sent packet 3 forms, etc. to Dublin

2-03-2006: Interview Date :)APPROVED!!!

2-05-2006: Flying to Logan Airport

2-11-2006: Wedding Date

3-14-2006: Filed AOS and EAD

3-22-2006: NOA1 (AOS and EAD)

4-07-2006: Biometrics

6-07-2006: EAD approved!!

7-24-2006: AOS Interview APPROVED!!!

7-27-2006: Received Welcome to America letter

8-03-2006: Green Card Received :)

Timeline

Maria is still in touch with her sister, and her sister is still in touch with the family that sponsored her visa, although not on good terms with them because they are holding her passport and other papers and won't give them to her. Her sister is trying to get some sort of legal status although I don't know any of the details of that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Contact an immigration attorney, end all the speculation... This is a serious issue obviously.

12/15/2005 - Sent I-129F to Vermont Service Center

12/17/2005 - VSC receives I-129F via express courier (day 1)

12/23/2005 - VSC officially sends out NOA1 stating receipt

01/05/2006 - Called the National Service Center and got NOA1 receipt number.

01/10/2006 - NOA2 received via USCIS website and email. VSC is blazingly fast! (day 22!)

01/20/2006 - Receive NOA2 via snail mail in Thailand

01/26/2006 - Bangkok Embassy confirms our case is in their system (day 38)

01/30/2006 - Dropped off checklist and doc's with embassy

01/31/2006 - Received email from embassy confirming our interview date 3/20/06! Woohoo! (day 43)

02/08/2006 - Received police report and packet 4

03/01/2006 - Medical Exam completed

03/20/2006 - Interview! (day 91)- SUCCESS!

03/21/2006 - Picked up VISA!

04/04/2006 - Fly to USA together to get officially married in US and to start our life there together!

04/07/2006 - Arrived at JFK, C received temp EAD stamp. Drove to MD to live!

04/20/2006 - Applied for SS Card in maiden name, received it 3 days later

05/12/2006 - Officially married in the US! (2nd ceremony)

05/15/2006 - US Reception

05/16/2006 - Applied for new SS card with married name - Applied for EAD

06/01/2006 - Applied for AOS I-485

10/27/2006 - EAD Approved!

this is an extremely tricky situation ... i suggest you consult with an experienced immigration atty on how to proceed with an answer in this situation. there is NO one here that can effectively answer it for you.

best of luck to you! :thumbs:

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I agree, contact an attorney.

Also, for the sister, you said she is trying to obtain some kind of legal status, so I am sure she is on top of this, but there are organizations out there to help people from other countries for various immigration issues that may be similiar.

I know in Boston there is an organization for Irish immigrants, they provide legal aide, etc. and give recommended donation amounts but charge no actual fees for those who can't afford them. I know that they helped a friend of a friend of mine who was here illegally, but wanted to get legal and get married. It is a completely above-board organization, they just help you get through all the legal hoops and file the correct paperwork, etc. I am sure that there are similiar places around the country for different groups. If she is not already involved with one it might be a good idea to try to find something like that, a simple search on the web would probably turn something up.

Good luck!

Timeline:

11-15-2005: Sent in I-129F to VSC

11-21-2005: NOA1

11-29-2005: NOA2

12-05-2005: NVC recieved

12-17-2005: Packet 3 received from Dublin

1-11-2006: Sent packet 3 forms, etc. to Dublin

2-03-2006: Interview Date :)APPROVED!!!

2-05-2006: Flying to Logan Airport

2-11-2006: Wedding Date

3-14-2006: Filed AOS and EAD

3-22-2006: NOA1 (AOS and EAD)

4-07-2006: Biometrics

6-07-2006: EAD approved!!

7-24-2006: AOS Interview APPROVED!!!

7-27-2006: Received Welcome to America letter

8-03-2006: Green Card Received :)

The best adviced that I can give you is to contact :help: an immigration attorney

post-17097-1138472152_thumb.jpg

Our Timeline

01/03/2006 Sent Via express mail.

01/05/2006 Received and signend by P. Novak.

01/11/2006 Still waiting.... I check everyday.

01/12/2006 Check Cashed.....

01/13/2006 Noa received on 01/13/06 Friday the 13th Ooooohhhhh.

01/27/2006 Touched.

02/10/2006 Aproved NOA 2

02/13/2006 Noa 2 emailed ..... So happy

02/15/2006 Called NVC Received new case #

02/16/2006 Received NOA 2 Snail mail.

02/17/2006 Sent to the consulate

05/10/2006 Still waiting for interview sucks

05/19/2006 Going to see my honey !!!

yep this is immigration attorney area.. u really need one.....

August 2003 met my sweet viktoria online

January 2004 feeling the love..heart.gif

November 2004 Really wanting to meet

August 04, 2005 first moments together St Petersburgdance.gif

August 11, 2005 Proposed marraigehearton.gif

Sept 12, 2005 129f received at TSC mail.gif

Sept 16, 2005 NOA1 received From CSC

Oct 26, 2005 date i had expected to receive my NOA2

(past now with this forever july 7 issue new expected -never)

well maybe not -i expect in about 4 months

Nov 14 NOA2

Dec 7 Sent to embassy

Jan 17 interview - got visa!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

just curious...

how can her sister try to get some kind of legal status when all her passport and papers are with her US family??

contact the atterny would be the best thing to do ^^

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

• 2 months later...
Timeline

hi there,

i, too, have the same problem. i don't think you're different at all. my brother has been illegally staying in the us for four years now. i was not aware that he went to the usa since i studied and worked abroad for ten years. i just came back to the philippines last year to process my K1 visa application since my fiancé would like for us to get married. i had found about it, also, learned that he's still in contact with my mother and some of the members of the family. the only thing right now, i and my family don't know where his whereabouts.

what should i do? my fiancé and i are planning to start working on my visa.

kindly help me!

Hi,

I have received the NOA2 for my fiancee Maria and am now filling out the K1 application forms for her. Question 37 on the DS156 asks if she has any relatives in the US. She has a sister who came here eight years ago and who stayed after her visa expired. I'm not sure what type of visa her sister came on - her godparents who were US citizens brought her into the country. They told her she could go to school here (she was college age when she came), but wound up putting her to work in their home so she eventually ran away and today lives and works illegally.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Maria is worried about her sister getting in trouble. I don't think this is likely because there are ten million people here illegally and the government is not going to track one of them down because she is mentioned on a visa application. Still my fiancee worries about getting blamed for something bad happening to her sister.

Of course we also worry about this causing her visa to be denied. I would think if we were honest about it it shouldn't be a big mark against her - she isn't responsible for what her sister did years ago. On the other hand if we lie about it I think it would be much worse if we were caught than if we were honest. Theoretically they could tell she has a sister here since her visa application would have the same parents on it and her visa expired and there is no record of her leaving the country - although I doubt the government is this organized.

Maria is a Filipina who is working in Israel, so it would be the Tel Aviv embassy staff who would be reviewing this.

Any advice and stories of others similar experience would be much appreciated. Things have gone very good so far with the application so far but this question is causing us a bit of stress - she is particularly worried about her sister.

Thanks,

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I know of another K1 whose fiance's sister was here illegally (overstayed and is now seeking asylum or something like that) and her attorney advised them not to mention anything in their K1 - mind you it was the illegal's attorney not the k1s. Do what you think best as it is a tricky situation but the k1 visa is for your fiance it doesn't matter who else is here legally or illegally - I don't think USCIS has the time to look into your relatives mentioned or not mentioned on the forms but I could be wrong. Good Luck

Edited by motu

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Timeline

Hi all,

Thanks for all the information. I just wanted to follow up with what I found out. We talked to two lawyers and both said that we should list it and that it should not affect my Fiancee's case. Well she had her interview last week and they didn't ask anything about her sister. She just picked up her visa today! So from everything I have found I would say it should be listed because the worst thing that can happen is that they catch you in a lie!

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hi all,

Thanks for all the information. I just wanted to follow up with what I found out. We talked to two lawyers and both said that we should list it and that it should not affect my Fiancee's case. Well she had her interview last week and they didn't ask anything about her sister. She just picked up her visa today! So from everything I have found I would say it should be listed because the worst thing that can happen is that they catch you in a lie!

Dave

Glad it worked out for you!

Congrats!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.