Lady Pinder

Advice please?

31 posts in this topic

I would go to Canada. Thats what me and my american fiance did. All depends in what part of Canada is nearest to your fiance. I didnt visit my fiance in the states as i was already married to an US citizen. I didnt want to take the chance to enter the USA and get denied. She flew upto Toronto and i flew from Glasgow. If you look at zoom airlines or iglucanada.com you can get cheap flight there. We also booked our hotel through hotwire.com Got the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Toronto for less that $50 per night. Good luck.

beach_1_001.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Is that no visa needed for either of us? cause we are both in the same situation at the moment apart from the fact I can go into any EU country..

I need a visa to go to canada too.. >.< Exactly the same thing as America.. and Mexico is the same as well.. Any country surrounding the US I need a visa for

Filed: Timeline

Slightly OT, but relevant I think.

A UKC friend of mine has a pot arrest from about 5 years ago. He recently booked a flight to St. Maarten which changed planes in Philly. He had to apply for a visitors visa, just to change planes there. He was denied & had to pay a sh*tload to rebook it.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I was just looking on the US Customs and border protection website to see if there is any kind of waiver that you can get so that you can still travel under the Visa Waiver Program....

It says:

Question: Can I be admitted into the U.S. if I have either a misdemeanor or criminal record?

Answer: The U.S. does not deny entry to persons with a "Driving Under the Influence" conviction - although if there are multiple convictions for this and or other misdemeanors, you could be denied entry.

Generally, any convictions for drug possession can result in denial of entry. If the conviction was long ago, you might contact the U.S. Embassy, Office of Consular Affairs in your country to obtain a waiver. Other misdemeanors may result in denial if they were recent.

I looked on the embassy website and found this:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp.html There are instructions on there about what to do if you have been either denied a visa or if you have a criminal record.

Hope this helps a bit!

Our K1 Journey

November 5th 2005 - ♥ Tash & Chris met ♥

June 11th 2007 - We posted the I129F :D

June 19th 2007 - USCIS received date

June 22nd 2007 - NOA1 received

November 16th 2007 - NOA2 - 156 days from filing

November 24th 2007 - Hard copy of NOA2 received

December 15th 2007 - Packet 3 received

January 18th 2008 - Packet 3 returned

February 13th 2008 - Packet 4 received

March 4th 2008 - Medical @ 1.00pm

March 5th 2008 - INTERVIEW @ 10.00am - APPROVED!!

March 11th 2008 - Visa received!

April 30th 2008 - Flying home at last!!!!! (POE: Dulles - Washington DC)

July 12th 2008 - Wedding date!

Now for AOS!

Filed: Other Timeline

I rang the embassy about getting denied and they said that I'll just have to try again and get stronger ties.. How?!?! >.< Having some problems with Germany now.. His mothers german yes.. and was a German citizan when he was born.. But he cant state that he has family in germany as his mums green card ran out last year and she hasnt renewed it.. so if they ask who his mum is.. and he gives her name she could be deported.. or so has been said...

I would suggest Iceland as a possible meeting point too - flights leave from Heathrow. Not a particularly cheap place to visit though.

Or maybe you could both fly somewhere like Thailand - at least it's cheap when you get there.

Some questions which might help other members give you some advice:

1) Is there a reason why you are not applying for the K1 visa? It would seem to be the way to go if you are eventually planning to get married and reside in the US.

2) It would help if you could state why you were arrested and what (if any) conviction you have on your police record.

3) Is your fiance a US citizen? Is his mother in the US or Germany? You mentioned her having an expired green card which makes me think she is in the US.

It is possible your fiance could try to come again to the UK but he will need rock solid proof that he has binding ties to the US - I would suggest that he contacts the British Embassy in the States to see if he can apply for a visitors visa there rather than risking arriving and being turned back again.

Sorry to hear that you are having these problems :unsure:

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

CIS Office : Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2008-03-25

NOA Date : 2008-04-04

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2008-04-24

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date : 2008-06-13

Approval / Denial Date : 2008-06-13

Approved : Yes

Welcome Letter Received: 2008-06-21

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received: 2008-06-26

Comments :

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Next time he goes to see you he should fly in through Dublin and then take a Ryan Air flight to your UK destination. Irish customs tend not to ask many questions, and then the flight into the UK from there is considered domestic so no customs to go through.

wtf-picard.jpg

Next time he goes to see you he should fly in through Dublin and then take a Ryan Air flight to your UK destination. Irish customs tend not to ask many questions, and then the flight into the UK from there is considered domestic so no customs to go through.

His passport (him) will be flagged as having been denied entry to the UK so I doubt it would work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

His passport (him) will be flagged as having been denied entry to the UK so I doubt it would work.

I don't even get stamped half the time going through. Then again, it could be because my last name is as Irish as the day is long (and I look it to boot) and they think I'm visiting relatives or something.

wtf-picard.jpg

I don't even get stamped half the time going through. Then again, it could be because my last name is as Irish as the day is long (and I look it to boot) and they think I'm visiting relatives or something.

But when you check in and/or at customs, they scan your passport.

Edited by illumine

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I have actually read on VJ a story of someone denied entry to the UK for lack of ties, but on a subsequent visit was allowed in. I think it was Courtney and she told all of this in one of the K1"filer threads". When I have a minute, I will look around for her story.

I have actually read on VJ a story of someone denied entry to the UK for lack of ties, but on a subsequent visit was allowed in. I think it was Courtney and she told all of this in one of the K1"filer threads". When I have a minute, I will look around for her story.

Yes, but the OP said her hubby was locked up overnight!

He was coming back too soon after he left, they didnt believe he was going to leave the country at the end of his visit because they found an engagement ring on him.. he proposed to me in the detention center they locked him in over night

I think that's a far cry from entry refusal.

Hi - not sure about you going over there, but from my experience, just because your partner was denied previously, does not mean he will be denied coming to the UK again. They will hold him up, but as long as he shows definite ties back to his place of residence, intention to live where he lives and for you to be there with him, a return ticket, a job back home, anything...he will be allowed in. Just have all the evidence...they only refuse if they suspect that he wont leave, and your partner must be sure to show that he will return. They may curtail his permission to stay here until the return date on the ticket, and will check he returned, but as long as you are legit, you will have no major probs.

And don;t try the Ireland route or anything else that is dodgy....if you're caught, you'll both be in a lot of trouble...be up front and honest, and dont be nervous - you;re not doing anything wrong, as long as he leaves!

(By the way, EU citizens dont get stamped, so there is no record of EU citizens comings and goings, unless you've been naughty - Treaty of Rome...)

Edited by bbpatel

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

He was denied entry to the UK based on the engagement ring, and his relationship with you. There is no reason for Ireland to refuse him entry, he has no ties there at all. He would not need a visa:

http://www.embassyofireland.org/home/index.aspx?id=30814

you can travel freely to Ireland because you are a UKC

How about going to Ireland, and just staying there for the trip?

The UK Wiki

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Well, Courtney described herself as being locked up all day! And she was permitted entry this past October. I'm not saying to attempt it one way or the other, just relating an experience that appears to be a similar situation. (IMO)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.