IrinaNMike

Renewing a passport in Russia -- how long?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

This green card requirement has become a non-issue. Neonred's spouse told the Consulate she had one, and didn't want to change her internal passport, just her international one, and the Consulate agreed. What my wife read on their website was incorrect, or else she misunderstood something. She obviously can renew her passport without changing her internal passport first (or, she oould go to Russia in the fall and probably get it in a week just by paying a $10 expedite fee).

Slim, you won't go to jail for insulting an identity-checker. They have a great sense of humor. After they've finished laughing, they might even offer you a lift over to the domestic Sheremetyovo terminal. They will use the shortcut through the woods, because it's quicker. If they stop the car in the woods and ask you to go for a walk, however, you should refuse.

05 07 05 .... Filed 129F with Nebraska Service Center

12 05 05 .... Successful interview -- visa granted

12 24 05 .... Married!

06 22 09 .... Irina takes the Oath and becomes a US Citizen

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

It may also depends on the consulate. I've heard that the Russian consulate in NY is more hardcore than the one in DC, for example, and are more difficult to deal with and more specific in their protocol.

This green card requirement has become a non-issue. Neonred's spouse told the Consulate she had one, and didn't want to change her internal passport, just her international one, and the Consulate agreed. What my wife read on their website was incorrect, or else she misunderstood something. She obviously can renew her passport without changing her internal passport first (or, she oould go to Russia in the fall and probably get it in a week just by paying a $10 expedite fee).

Slim, you won't go to jail for insulting an identity-checker. They have a great sense of humor. After they've finished laughing, they might even offer you a lift over to the domestic Sheremetyovo terminal. They will use the shortcut through the woods, because it's quicker. If they stop the car in the woods and ask you to go for a walk, however, you should refuse.

Первый блин комом.

I think we watched that serial. We got some movie from Moscowflix and there was a part in there where some guys got a ride through the woods and then they "took a walk." Two of the guys were crying when they made them start digging their own holes. One guy was just cursing and went right on digging. They only shot the two crying guys. The cursing guy they were like, "Well, you want a job?"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
It may also depends on the consulate. I've heard that the Russian consulate in NY is more hardcore than the one in DC, for example, and are more difficult to deal with and more specific in their protocol.

That's a good point.

05 07 05 .... Filed 129F with Nebraska Service Center

12 05 05 .... Successful interview -- visa granted

12 24 05 .... Married!

06 22 09 .... Irina takes the Oath and becomes a US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey guys you can change your internal passport in the USA! Found a complany that does it)! I did not know this, did a google search and found it on a website :thumbs:http://www.russianpassportservice.com/en/r...anpassport.html

Timeline
Hey guys you can change your internal passport in the USA! Found a complany that does it)! I did not know this, did a google search and found it on a website :thumbs:http://www.russianpassportservice.com/en/r...anpassport.html

oops maby I am wrong i think this might have been for the international passport instead!

Timeline

oops maby I am wrong i think this might have been for the international passport instead!

Yeah you have to change your internal passport in russia! Saw a website and got excited :blush:

• 9 months later...
Timeline

Question about internal passport renewal:

1. A Russian citizen's (R.C.) international passport (zagranpasport) expired or is about to expire and he needs a new one. It can be done wthout leaving the US; it is very simple through a Russian consulate and takes 3-4 months.

2. The R.C. has an internal passport that expires when he/she turns 45. If the R.C. did not declare his intention to leave Russia permanently ("na PMZh") to local authorities, then the internal passport is still a document he must have on his person when in Russia (if he has no intention of going to Russia again, he may as well ignore his internal passport).

If he received a new international passport through a foreign consul, it may have a note in it, "Internal passport bears no note that an international passport has been issued." (Because no one is allowed to mark the internal passport except in Russia). Therefore, when the Russian citizen wishes to visit Russia, he must go to Ministry of Foreign Affairs or OVIR or someplace and show them this and have it dealt with so he can exit Russia and return to life and work in the States. Otherwise he won't be able to leave the country*, as his internal passport does not reflect the issuance of an international passport, if I understand correctly.

The question is, can one get a new Russian internal passport without leaving the States? I assume no. How long does it take to get a new internal passport in Russia and get the international one squared away? Anyone know?

*Russia

Edited by chili74

February 3, 2005. Applied for K-1.

July 14, 2005. Email to NVC congressional unit

Nov 2, 2005. Letter to congressman

Nov 8, 2005. Letter from congressman

December 19, 2005. Visa interview in Moscow. (250 days at NVC)

January 27, 2006. POE: JFK.

April 8, 2006. Wedding in USA.

April 19, 2006. Apply for AOS.

July 12, 2006. AOS Interview.

February 26, 2008. Letter to congresswoman.

March 19, 2008. Conditional Permanent residence began!!

2009: Wake up and get on the uscis train again - lifting conditions

Dec 21, 2009. Eligible to apply to remove conditions

February 2010: 10-yr Green Card Received

My wife wrote a friend of hers in Russia. They wrote back and said she could get her International Passport renewed in one month for $50 or two weeks for $100. That was in her hometown. Different cities may have different times and dollars.

We have decided to get it renewed at the Houston Embassy for $150 and that takes 3 months. I don't want the hassle if she wouldn't get it in two weeks in Russia and have to change or buy a new ticket home.

We have been trying for two weeks to get in touch with the Russian Embassy in Houston. They did not take our call. My wife wrote an e-mail about two weeks ago and never got a reply. I finally was able to talk to someone when I called and pressed the number for a Visa. They told me the extension to call for Passports. And they don't answer the phone until 2 pm. Many hours of frustration, but things are beginning to work out.

I called today, after 2pm, and asked about the Passport Photo size. The Washington, DC, Embassy says 2"x2". The Houston Embassy says 35mm x 45mm. That is what they want in Houston, so I will try to find a photographer to take my wife's picture using their specifications.

Russian Fiancee - Moscow Embassy

1/27/06 Mailed I-129F to TSC and forwarded to CSC for K-1 & K-2 Visa

2/1/06 CSC received I-129F

2/7/06 Received NOA1 TSC

4/14/06 I-129F Approved

4/25/06 Received NOA2 TSC

5/12/06 Received at NVC

5/18/06 Mailed to US Embassy, Moscow

8/9/06 Physical Exams for K-1 & K-2

8/11/06 Interview Scheduled

8/11/06 VISA APPROVED

8/17/06 Visa Received

9/12/06 Flight from SVO

12/09/06 MARRIED

2/16/07 Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP

3/15/07 Biometrics scheduled (Had to Re-schedule)

3/22/07 Biometrics completed for K-1 & K-2

4/11/07 Received phone call from USCIS, Interview Scheduled, FBI check completed

4/16/07 AOS Interview, passed pending I-693A

4/16/07 Civil Surgeon completed I-693A, I-693A submitted to USCIS office

4/18/07 Notice mailed welcoming New Permanent Resident

4/19/07 Card production ordered for K-1 & K-2

4/25/07 2 Year Green Card Received dated 4/17/07

1/21/09 Mailed I-751 to VSC for K-1 & K-2

1/24/09 VSC Received I-751

1/31/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Wife

2/20/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Wife, Appt 3/2/09 Completed

2/20/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Step-daughter

2/24/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Step-daughter Appt 3/10/09 Completed

3/2/09 Mailed Wife's Passport to Houston for Renewal - Received 6/5/09

9/15/09 Interview at New Orleans Field Office

1/19/10 Eligible to file N-400 for Citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.