Meriem_DZ

How Muslims Are Treated In USA

144 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Libya
Timeline
One question: where does it say in the Koran that women are obliged to wear a hijab?

An-Nur 24:31

Depends on how one understands it but there are other other sources of reference that elaborate on it. It also helps to have an understanding of how women in that time were already wearing their veils.

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

We need a Ramadan!! (part one)

VP's Blog

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I was a Muslim woman married to a Christian man for 30 years, and we lived in MENA countries on and off. We owned a home together in Morocco and others, in other countries too. No one was killed.

Muslims aren't even treated all that well on this board.

Try being a Christian in a Muslim counry and see how well you are treated.....if they dont kill ya.

Timeline

Try being a Christian in a Muslim counry and see how well you are treated.....if they dont kill ya.

:lol: There is no muslim country that doesn't have any christians living in it.... there are even christians living and working happily in KSA who manage to make thru each day without being stoned :lol:

Egypt is muslim country and there are alot of chirstain poeple there and they are safe

*high five* :thumbs:

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

VP's Blog

Timeline
One question: where does it say in the Koran that women are obliged to wear a hijab?

Depends on how one understands it but there are other other sources of reference that elaborate on it. It also helps to have an understanding of how women in that time were already wearing their veils.

Well, actually, no verse in the Quran mentions hijab as a means of dress. 24:31 mentions covering your bosom with a khimar, a cloth that both men and women wore, but it doesnt use the word hijab to refer to a method of dress for women. Also, everyone wore veils, Muslims, pagans, Christians, Jews. It's a hot and arid climate and they didnt have hats. Head covering predates monotheism in the ME.

:lol: There is no muslim country that doesn't have any christians living in it.... there are even christians living and working happily in KSA who manage to make thru each day without being stoned :lol:

When the Christians wanted to kill all the Jews in Spain, they fled to Muslim countries for safety.

Timeline

Well, actually, no verse in the Quran mentions hijab as a means of dress. 24:31 mentions covering your bosom with a khimar, a cloth that both men and women wore, but it doesnt use the word hijab to refer to a method of dress for women. Also, everyone wore veils, Muslims, pagans, Christians, Jews. It's a hot and arid climate and they didnt have hats. Head covering predates monotheism in the ME.

Well, no one asked if "hijab" is the proper name for the method of dress but only if what he understands as hijab is ordered in the Quran or not.

Yes, both men and women wear khimars over their heads but it was the women specifically who were addressed in this verse. Women used to wear their veils over their heads but with the ends slung back behind their heads/shoulders. This verse specifically tells them to draw their veils (which are already on their heads) over their bosoms. It seems clear to me and others and this is the majority opinion (which doesn't always make it right I know). I know you and others don't agree but this is how those of us who wear "hijab" understand it and why we wear what we wear.

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

VP's Blog

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

Well, no one asked if "hijab" is the proper name for the method of dress but only if what he understands as hijab is ordered in the Quran or not.

Yes, both men and women wear khimars over their heads but it was the women specifically who were addressed in this verse. Women used to wear their veils over their heads but with the ends slung back behind their heads/shoulders. This verse specifically tells them to draw their veils (which are already on their heads) over their bosoms. It seems clear to me and others and this is the majority opinion (which doesn't always make it right I know). I know you and others don't agree but this is how those of us who wear "hijab" understand it and why we wear what we wear.

I agree, if you are going to wear it than you should wear it correctly. The verse is vague, but I think it is up to each muslim to figure out what is right and what Allah (swt) wanted with this and act accordingly.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

This is probebly in reference to the report on 60 minutes last night about Iraqi Christians in Iraq who have not been treated well. Then again, who has?

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Timeline

This is probebly in reference to the report on 60 minutes last night about Iraqi Christians in Iraq who have not been treated well. Then again, who has?

Actually in the beginning it was worse to be a muslim. Christians could get by with a lot more. My husband had a shia friend and a Christian one (him being sunni), my husband and the shia guy kept joking to the Christian that he was getting over but after the shia's and sunnis got tired of killing each other the Christians would be next. They all knew it was a joke to a sad situation where lines were being drawn between long time friends that shouldn't be there. No one is safe in Iraq. Everything a Christian could say was done to them has been done just as much to everyone else (muslim or any other religion there).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

soooo ummmmm I am not sure I understand where the "covering the hair" is in that verse.. don't get upset with me..please honest question. I wear the hijab and happy in it.. but wondering to support a case I am fighting.

Timeline
soooo ummmmm I am not sure I understand where the "covering the hair" is in that verse.. don't get upset with me..please honest question. I wear the hijab and happy in it.. but wondering to support a case I am fighting.

The hair wasn't specifically mentioned because they were already covering their hair. Have you ever seen one of the pics of Mary that the christians have? Notice how she was wearing her "hijab"? How it covers the head and then is pulled back behind her shoulders? That's how women used to wear their veils when this verse was revealed so they were already covering their heads/hair.... Allah subhanallahu wa ta'ala then told us to pull the veils/khimars, that we were already wearing, around to cover our bosom.

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

VP's Blog

Timeline

It was common for Christians, Muslims and Jewish to cover their hair for a long time. Awhile back I was watching Schinler's List and noticed many Jewish women covering their hair in that movie and that was in the 20th century. People don't think about that though. It just got popular to not cover hair anymore and people stopped doing it.

Timeline

I'm still scratching my head over why hijab is of such interest. It's not a pillar, there is no command to conceal the hair or neck; how to wear it and if to wear it are interpretations of the text by humans. We know that Muslim slave women were forbidden to cover themselves except for between the navel and the knees, a practice reinforced by Caliph Umer to keep free women distinquishable from bonded ones. It's importance is deemed in social construct, rising and waning across time. I imagine that its visibility and "otherness" hold some fascination. As an old school Muslima, I've seen it come and go, come and go, kinda like bell bottoms.

Edited by Virtual wife

I'm still scratching my head over why hijab is of such interest. It's not a pillar, there is no command to conceal the hair or neck; how to wear it and if to wear it are interpretations of the text by humans. We know that Muslim slave women were forbidden to cover themselves except for between the navel and the knees, a practice reinforced by Caliph Umer to keep free women distinquishable from bonded ones. It's importance is deemed in social construct, rising and waning across time. I imagine that its visibility and "otherness" hold some fascination. As an old school Muslima, I've seen it come and go, come and go, kinda like bell bottoms.

for some, it could be that obsessing over mundane issues makes other people less likely to notice when they can't hold their own on the big issues. perhaps, maybe.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

you crack me up with the Orygun... I am originally from Portland or P-town lol.

See that is what I am getting from at work.. They asked me to show them my "rules" for my religion and why I must wear it. But I cannot prove such a statement exsists.... just interpretations... I am really confused now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.