Glorianna

Total Costs of Immigration

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

FYI: I am not asking anyone to do my homework. My paper is on illegal immigration, not the cost of legal immigration. I am going to share a bit of a personal story in the introduction. I'm going to say that I understand why some people might become illegal immigrants because of costs and all of the hassle and work involved (immigration is a big pain!). So the cost of immigration is going to be one sentence in my whole paper if that. I remembered my costs being around $2000 but I just wanted to check with other people to see if the costs of immigration was roughly the same for everyone.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
FYI: I am not asking anyone to do my homework. My paper is on illegal immigration, not the cost of legal immigration. I am going to share a bit of a personal story in the introduction. I'm going to say that I understand why some people might become illegal immigrants because of costs and all of the hassle and work involved (immigration is a big pain!). So the cost of immigration is going to be one sentence in my whole paper if that. I remembered my costs being around $2000 but I just wanted to check with other people to see if the costs of immigration was roughly the same for everyone.

you might wanna add $3-10k for those from Asia & others overseas.....flights, hotel, food, etc. for getting to & from medical, embassy interview & POE....oh yah & don't forget shipping your stuff to the US.

7yqZWFL.jpg

If my daughter comes home from school and has a homework question like "On what date did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor?" and I happen to have the correct date in my head and give it to her, who did her homework, her or me?

So how does she do her homework? By asking the internet, books or asking her dad? If any of those happen to know the date did she research by asking someone or something or did she not? I guess your daughter is only considered to have done her homework herself if she doesn´t ask about it someone who is related to her?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
If my daughter comes home from school and has a homework question like "On what date did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor?" and I happen to have the correct date in my head and give it to her, who did her homework, her or me?

So how does she do her homework? By asking the internet, books or asking her dad? If any of those happen to know the date did she research by asking someone or something or did she not? I guess your daughter is only considered to have done her homework herself if she doesn´t ask about it someone who is related to her?

She's done her homework if she reads the assigned chapter in the history book and learns the date.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Well her homework wasn´t to read the assigned chapter...I am sure if that was the case she would have done it....Well thanks God for my parents...when I wanted to learn something from them, they never refused...

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Well her homework wasn´t to read the assigned chapter...I am sure if that was the case she would have done it....Well thanks God for my parents...when I wanted to learn something from them, they never refused...

None of my children have ever been refused either. Such questions are generally part of a history assignement. You read the chapter and answer the questions. Reading the chapter will get you the answer and you learn the associated history. Asking mom or dad for the answers to the questions without doing the reading and learning is not doing your homework. Mom and dad answering instead of making the kid read the chapter and find the answer is, IMO, not the way for a child to "learn".

Opinions will vary on this.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well said! I don't think there was anything wrong at all with the OP asking for our input. I did not read it as her asking us to "do her homework for her." Your analogy was dead on.

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

None of my children have ever been refused either. Such questions are generally part of a history assignement. You read the chapter and answer the questions. Reading the chapter will get you the answer and you learn the associated history. Asking mom or dad for the answers to the questions without doing the reading and learning is not doing your homework. Mom and dad answering instead of making the kid read the chapter and find the answer is, IMO, not the way for a child to "learn".

Well in this case it looks like she has been through immigration and even shared her cost with us so according to how you word it she has done her homework or I don´t know what else to tell you. When a person does a research for their paper they ask people...nothing weird about that. If you don´t wanna share...that´s another case...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
SOME of those costs are most definately Immigration costs. Meeting In Person is an IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENT - hense costs associated with that end are Immigration costs. Proof of OnGoing Relationship is an IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENT, hence costs associated with that end are an immigration costs...etc..etc..

I don't agree.....

Meeting in person is what i would call a relationship requirement.... (and immigration concern is if you are in a relationship... and of course, meeting in person helps)

Proof of ongoing relationship... is also something you should have because you are in a relationship... (and not for the purpose of immigration (I mean you don't create it for the immigration as itself))

Thoses are long distance relationship cost.....and not directly related to immigration.

Thanks for your post. We disagree on the defintion of costs. Best Wishes to you.

Warm Regards,

Samby

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
SOME of those costs are most definately Immigration costs. Meeting In Person is an IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENT - hense costs associated with that end are Immigration costs. Proof of OnGoing Relationship is an IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENT, hence costs associated with that end are an immigration costs...etc..etc..

I don't agree.....

Meeting in person is what i would call a relationship requirement.... (and immigration concern is if you are in a relationship... and of course, meeting in person helps)

Proof of ongoing relationship... is also something you should have because you are in a relationship... (and not for the purpose of immigration (I mean you don't create it for the immigration as itself))

Thoses are long distance relationship cost.....and not directly related to immigration.

Thanks for your post. We disagree on the defintion of costs. Best Wishes to you.

Warm Regards,

Samby

Yes, and it's not a big deal.

Overall i would say you can put it all in a bigger categorie like

get together costs, including

immigrations costs

long distance relationship cost

And any other thing you would feel right to put in there

But after this is just a individual matter :)

Good day to all !

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Opinions will vary on this.

yeah my opinion is different on this. i thought my dad was (is!) a very interesting man. either he could tell me about a subject or a book could. i would choose my dad. i like listening to him.

i dont think its bad for the OP to get some personal stories, its not like she will quote it in her paper and make it a fact. its to give probably even just her, an idea. Plus its a forum, people like to share their stories.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

2k is low.........it does not include......calls......travel.......cost of having to fight any denial.........in my case because of religion and culture when i travel to see perviz i have to take my mom with me.........so we looking at over six k for two trips just in tickets and thats with out any hotel.......gifts for him and his family......taxi.........well the list can go on but i dont think anyone has ever had a cost of 2k.......and if u decide on using an attorney the cost is even more

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hey everyone. I am now a happily married immigrant to the USA. However, I am doing a paper for school on illegal immigration and was wondering if anyone could help me to figure out what the total cost of immigration is (including hidden fees like medical assessments, background checks, etc.)? Thank you so much.

You want us to do your homework for you? All the information about family based visas and fees are in the Guides here. Start studying. There are no "hidden fees". There are only people who didn't do their homework and were surprised about fees as a result.

I don't think this is a helpful comment. I think his question was directed to anyone who happened to have a figure on hand that they could share with him. Not asking for someone to do the research for him. Of course every question asked on this board could be researched with enough effort--but that's what this board is for, to get addl info from other people's experience and knowledge.

actually i thought his comment was spot on. Its not difficult to find all the info on here. I did it, and so did many others, and its her "homework" and they are wanting someone else to give them all the data. There's nothing hidden in the fees. And if she already did the process then she knows all the fees.

Chris

Edited by chris4gretchen

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/15/08 NOA1 received EAD

08/15/08 NOA1 received AOS

08/19/08 Checks cashed

08/23/08 biometrics appt letter

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.