Glorianna

Total Costs of Immigration

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone. I am now a happily married immigrant to the USA. However, I am doing a paper for school on illegal immigration and was wondering if anyone could help me to figure out what the total cost of immigration is (including hidden fees like medical assessments, background checks, etc.)? Thank you so much.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It seems to vary depending on what country you are coming from and what kind of Visa you applied for.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

We havent filed yet but will be this month. We have giving ourselves a figure of around $4000 plus and that includes the K1, copys and notaries, medical, trip to embassy, flight to USA and AOS. That doesnt even include the wedding. Be interesting how much im of the mark lol

beach_1_001.jpg

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hey everyone. I am now a happily married immigrant to the USA. However, I am doing a paper for school on illegal immigration and was wondering if anyone could help me to figure out what the total cost of immigration is (including hidden fees like medical assessments, background checks, etc.)? Thank you so much.

You want us to do your homework for you? All the information about family based visas and fees are in the Guides here. Start studying. There are no "hidden fees". There are only people who didn't do their homework and were surprised about fees as a result.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here is our immigration fees so far.

49.95$ Do it yourself kit

455$ I129F package

7.97$ sending the package to USCIS

12.95$ USC passport photo

8.64$ various copies

119$ translation french birth certificate, canadian divorce certificate, canadian mariage certificate

63.10$ translation french police certificate

80$ various post fees

20$ notarizations

120$ 3 canadian police certificate (in general, people have just one)

20$ 2x bank statement (in general, just need one)

72$ 12 fiancee photos (5 for the interview and a bunch for future AOS etc)

213.22$ fiancee medical

20$ various copies

10$ xpresspost to send back packet 3

12.96$ xpresspost for the visa to be sent

131$ fees for the future interview

1415.79 $

1010$ AOS, EAD, AP

Edited by melusine

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Some is the basic fees, like filing for the visa, the AOS fees after they arrive, the $100 for the visa, biometrics fees Other fees are country specific, for example the cost of the medical exam.

Because my SO is in Iran, where we have no embassy he had to travel to Turkey for his interview and medical, and of course the second trip for the visa that was not issued, and hopefully his final third visit to Turkey for his visa. Each trip required him to fly and stay in a hotel and meals during his stay.

Some other costs we ran into was in mailing the packet to the embassy. Turkey requires it be sent by UPS and they only accept UPS from Turkey and the US. So my SO sent it to me from Iran registered mail (no idea how much that cost) and I sent it by UPS to Turkey (about $45). Add to that all the copies and notaries for official translations, etc

Right now we are at about $2,000-$3,000 for his to get here plus the $1000 or so for the AOS.

So yeah between the costs and the wait time (I filed the petition in June 2006) I almost wish he had snuck to Mexico two years ago.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Add another few thousand depending on where the SO lives, how long you've been together, how often you get to see each other, because just maintaining the relationship with flights and whatever else gets pretty dang expensive :rolleyes:

Unless it's a huge paper you might should narrow down your topic. There's a bunch of ways to immigrate to the US legally, k1 visa is just one of them.

If you're doing a paper on illegal immigration you'll find some pretty heated threads on how people here feel about it if you check the Off Topic section :P

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

Timeline

that is true, but i wouldn't consider the trips to visit each other as an immigration cost.....

trip to the consulate, i would calculate it definetly (for this person who's so is in iran).

the trip to see each other are more "vacation", and about to stay mentally sane...but well, it's not immigration required.

bills of internet (thanks skype !!) i wouldn't put it there either since i would most probably have internet anyway, whatever if my sweet was living with me or not.

Same think for phonecalls. I would put that on the cost of long distance relationship more than immigration

Removal of conditions

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
that is true, but i wouldn't consider the trips to visit each other as an immigration cost.....

trip to the consulate, i would calculate it definetly (for this person who's so is in iran).

the trip to see each other are more "vacation", and about to stay mentally sane...but well, it's not immigration required.

bills of internet (thanks skype !!) i wouldn't put it there either since i would most probably have internet anyway, whatever if my sweet was living with me or not.

Same think for phonecalls. I would put that on the cost of long distance relationship more than immigration

SOME of those costs are most definately Immigration costs. Meeting In Person is an IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENT - hense costs associated with that end are Immigration costs. Proof of OnGoing Relationship is an IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENT, hence costs associated with that end are an immigration costs...etc..etc..

Warm Regards,

Samby

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You want us to do your homework for you? All the information about family based visas and fees are in the Guides here. Start studying. There are no "hidden fees". There are only people who didn't do their homework and were surprised about fees as a result.

I don't think this is a helpful comment. I think his question was directed to anyone who happened to have a figure on hand that they could share with him. Not asking for someone to do the research for him. Of course every question asked on this board could be researched with enough effort--but that's what this board is for, to get addl info from other people's experience and knowledge.

02/19/08 - Mailed I-129F Package to Vermont USCIS

02/21/08 - According to USPS tracking, package delivered/signed for

02/22/08 - NOA1 - According to online status, the date the package was received by USCIS

02/27/08 - Check cleared

03/14/08 - Touched

05/05/08 - NOA2 notice via email notification!

Sorry haven't been updating this properly. Medical has been completed.

07/24/08 - Interview!! -- Approved in just over 5 months!!

Timeline

I do agree witht he poster that said the OP is asking us to do his homework...I believe all document fees do include associated biometrics costs nowdays. The only hidden fee my fiancee experienced was the need for a medical exam in Budapest ($100 or less). If you go through the listing of forms need on this site, then go to the USCIS website and add up the fees associated witht hose forms you'll have the number.

If you get down to counting the cost of meeting each other as a cost, then it will vary widely...the cost to get from Phoenix to Nogales is nothing, the cost to get from Whichita Kansas to India is quite a bit. Additionally, if you count the cost of going to the embassy or USCIS offices, those vary. My wife lived in Budapest and we now live in Chicago...Budapest has an Embassy and Chicago has a USCIS office...no costs there.

K1 Timeline

Sometime in June - Filled out forms and had Congressman Manzullo's office double check

Sometime in June - Mailed I-129F to Neb Service Center

July 13 - Recieved packet back due to OVERPAYMENT

July 17th - sent packet with correct payment

July 20th - NOA 1 sent

October 15th - NOA 2 sent

October 23 - NOA 2 Recieved

December 3 - Interview in Budapest, Hungary - Visa recieved same day.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I figure Andre's K-1 cost about $1,000 total.....that was 2 years ago.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I don't think this is a helpful comment. I think his question was directed to anyone who happened to have a figure on hand that they could share with him. Not asking for someone to do the research for him. Of course every question asked on this board could be researched with enough effort--but that's what this board is for, to get addl info from other people's experience and knowledge.

Well, we're all entitled to our opinions. Let me elaborate.

I have a line item in my Microsoft money for "China and Immigration". The costs that fell in there during the past two and a half years total more than $10,000. A member in Detroit bringing a spouse from across the river in Windsor Ontario might show a cost of $1,000. Shall the OP report the cost of immigration ranges from $1,000 to $10,000 and leave it at that? What grade would you give for such an assignment.

If my daughter comes home from school and has a homework question like "On what date did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor?" and I happen to have the correct date in my head and give it to her, who did her homework, her or me?

The OP has the assignment to write a paper on the cost of "immigration", not the cost of my wife's immigration or somebody else's fiance's immigration and the paper will need to contain more than just a dollar figure.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
SOME of those costs are most definately Immigration costs. Meeting In Person is an IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENT - hense costs associated with that end are Immigration costs. Proof of OnGoing Relationship is an IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENT, hence costs associated with that end are an immigration costs...etc..etc..

I don't agree.....

Meeting in person is what i would call a relationship requirement.... (and immigration concern is if you are in a relationship... and of course, meeting in person helps)

Proof of ongoing relationship... is also something you should have because you are in a relationship... (and not for the purpose of immigration (I mean you don't create it for the immigration as itself))

Thoses are long distance relationship cost.....and not directly related to immigration.

Edited by melusine

Removal of conditions

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Add another few thousand depending on where the SO lives, how long you've been together, how often you get to see each other, because just maintaining the relationship with flights and whatever else gets pretty dang expensive :rolleyes:

Unless it's a huge paper you might should narrow down your topic. There's a bunch of ways to immigrate to the US legally, k1 visa is just one of them.

If you're doing a paper on illegal immigration you'll find some pretty heated threads on how people here feel about it if you check the Off Topic section :P

I am doing my paper on illegal immigration. I have to share a bit of a personal story in the introduction so I thought I would share how I understand why some people might become illegal immigrants because of costs and all of the hassle and work involved (immigration is a big pain!). I remembered my costs being around $2000 but I just wanted to verify it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.