SpiritAlight

Changing Careers

38 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I am a pediatric nurse, I loved working in Pedi ER in Germany. It never gets boring and I couldn't imagine myself doing a 9-5 office job. I'm having an extremely hard time to get licensed as an RN over here, so I had to shift to being a nanny for a while. Hope not for too long. :unsure: anyone in need of a sitter? :whistle::P

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

3 years as a farm hand (age 13-16)

3 years as a "petroleum distribution engineer" (working at a gas station) (age 18-21)

2 years as a dishwasher (age 16-18)

10 years as an auto mechanic

3 months as a ski lift operator

3 years as a web designer/graphic designer

4 years as a bicycle mechanic

3 years as an I.T. Geek

Some of those, obviously, ran concurrently. I was working as a bicycle mechanic and an auto mechanic at the same time for a year.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I went from social service to relationship banker. I've got my bachelors in social work and the entry level jobs are horrible. I used to work as a "counselor" for a residential home, 3pm-11pm shift. They gave it a pretty name but it pretty much meant I was in charge of household duties. The pay sucked as well. I would like to get back into social work but once I get my Masters. I would like to work in an ER as a social worker.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I've changed careers several times. An effective way I found to break into a new area is to start off as a volunteer at a national organization. You either don't stay a volunteer for long if they can hire you, or you can just try things out and see if you like it or not.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
I am a pediatric nurse, I loved working in Pedi ER in Germany. It never gets boring and I couldn't imagine myself doing a 9-5 office job. I'm having an extremely hard time to get licensed as an RN over here, so I had to shift to being a nanny for a while. Hope not for too long. :unsure: anyone in need of a sitter? :whistle::P

living in NYC you surely can get a job as a nanny and make very good money. there are tons of agencies who specialize in that! if you need names, PM me.

Edited by sereia

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Timeline
I'd like to be an accountant when I grow up.

You gotta be kidding

No why?

It pays decent, but the job sucks. That's all ;)

Why does it suck?

FWIW, I haven't changed careers yet. Maybe I will one day. I've been in IT since I graduated.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.