Jonesie

Jamaican/US citizenship for spouse/children?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
What's the process for getting JA citizenship/JA passport for children and myself? Since we're going to JA in the summer I'd like to try and get this taken care of during that time.

I don't understand your question? Are you a USC holder Jonesie? Why would you need JAPassPort?

I'm the USC but I thought that I read in the post both the children and spouse get JA passport :wacko:

If the children are born in the US then they are USC by birth and only need a USPassport.

Hurry up and get it done last year it took me 4 months to get my passport and I got it 1 week before my trip. I had to have my son's father @ the post office to sign the form but my daughter's father since his name isn't on her birth certificate it was a go!

She is talking about proving they are US citizens to get JA citizenship as well.

Would the citizenship by marriage be good for dual citizenship?

Yes. Still lots of hoops to jump through to get it.

I was told that America don't reconize dule citizenship!

You were told wrong. It does.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
What's the process for getting JA citizenship/JA passport for children and myself? Since we're going to JA in the summer I'd like to try and get this taken care of during that time.

I don't understand your question? Are you a USC holder Jonesie? Why would you need JAPassPort?

I'm the USC but I thought that I read in the post both the children and spouse get JA passport :wacko:

If the children are born in the US then they are USC by birth and only need a USPassport.

Hurry up and get it done last year it took me 4 months to get my passport and I got it 1 week before my trip. I had to have my son's father @ the post office to sign the form but my daughter's father since his name isn't on her birth certificate it was a go!

She is talking about proving they are US citizens to get JA citizenship as well.

Would the citizenship by marriage be good for dual citizenship?

Yes. Still lots of hoops to jump through to get it.

I was told that America don't reconize dule citizenship!

You were told wrong. It does.

They do with Jamaica are you sure please send me something because I really want to know why I was told that lie.

Timeline

From US Department of State web site..............

Dual Nationality

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Dual Nationality

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.

I'm reading this but 2 lines got me all confused........U.S. law does not mention dual nationality and The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. I really don't care because when I go home I go right into the Jamaican nationals line because I am Jamaican by birth!

Edited by Dimples876

Timeline

mi go inna any line wah shorter :)....when i went with Kimora for the 1st time the immigration officer gave me a piece of paper i can take to some place mi a goo si if mi can find where i can get her registered so she they don't give me a hard time with her or something...having dual citizenship won't be that big of a threat for Jamicans cause really when do u think JA and the USA a go inna some kinda of WAR or otherwise ? that statement goes for some other countries because of conflict...having the baby registered just make that stamp they give u last longer

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Dual Nationality

I'm reading this but 2 lines got me all confused........U.S. law does not mention dual nationality and The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. I really don't care because when I go home I go right into the Jamaican nationals line because I am Jamaican by birth!

When on US soil, they will not recognize you as Jamaican citizen if you are an American citizen. Just like I'm sure Jamaican won't recognize you as a US citizen if you're also a Jamaican one; it's to prevent an American citizen who is also a citizen of another country for going to the embassy of that country if they get into legal trouble, et cetera.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Timeline

Yah, that is it exactly when you are duel........When you are on US soil, you are considered an American citizen. When you are on JA soil, you are considered a JA citizen.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: Timeline

Mawnin Kimmy -- how u been;

I have a RESIDENT stamp in my US passport. I can go into either line. I'm usually not asked any questions, unless I run into the TOUGH face woman in customs. The stamp that I have says that I can stay in Jamaica for as long as I want. When I book a hotel, I wait until I'm on the island so that I can get the resident rate. I have a Jamaica passport, but I think I only used it once to get the resident rate to get into DUNNS Rivers, because I didn't want to travel with my US passport that day. It depends on what I'm doing in Jamaica. I still have a lot of family there and we're working on getting things situated and like it or not, FARRIN or not, FLASH the US passport and some times, they'll try and charge DOUBLE than they would if you were a resident. that's just my experince.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi,

Sorry to ruin the thread, but I see so many people dealing with Kingston in this thread that I thought someone would be able to give me some input. I am currently appying for my citizenship after 20+ years of holding on to my British passport and greencard. My boyfriend, who is in Jamaica, and I want to get married and I want to bring him over here, but I am not a citizen yet. Should I wait or can we get married and when I get my citizenship file the CR1 or K3?

Thanks for your help...

Timeline
Hi,

Sorry to ruin the thread, but I see so many people dealing with Kingston in this thread that I thought someone would be able to give me some input. I am currently appying for my citizenship after 20+ years of holding on to my British passport and greencard. My boyfriend, who is in Jamaica, and I want to get married and I want to bring him over here, but I am not a citizen yet. Should I wait or can we get married and when I get my citizenship file the CR1 or K3?

Thanks for your help...

You can get married and file now and once you are a citizen you can upgrade your petition to a citizen filing for a spouse rather than an LPR filing for a spouse..Filing while you are LPR takes much longer than filing while you are a citizen but you can upgrade your petition once you receive your citizenship by calling customer service and letting them know you are now a citizen...and they would most likely tell you to fax or mail them your citizenship papers for proof...

Edited by jgay80

NVC Journey Total days: 75

04.09.2008: Case# assigned

05.12.2008: DS230 Entered into System

06.18.2008: Case Complete (So upset that it took this long 37days)

US Embassy:

10.29.2008: Interview Date Assigned

11.17.2008: Medical Appointment

12.03.2008: Interview Date (FINALLY!!!)**APPROVED**

12.08.2008: Visa Delivered

12.21.2008: POE JFK

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

OK...I was just worried because I have read so many different scenarios on VJ. I am scared if I marry and file for him now it will affect the citizenship process. I don't want them to look at the timeline and think, "Oh, she is applying now to get her 'husband' over", u'know?

Timeline
OK...I was just worried because I have read so many different scenarios on VJ. I am scared if I marry and file for him now it will affect the citizenship process. I don't want them to look at the timeline and think, "Oh, she is applying now to get her 'husband' over", u'know?

Well girl Heck Yeah, ur applying now to get your husband over. And as a resident and citizen of this country its your right to do so. Don't worry bout wha dem seh. :star:

Many many people go this same exact route. Its the route that makes the most sense, USCIS understands that, and its prefectly fine with them.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.