Lancep

Where is the "black hole" between CSC and NVC???

45 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Thanks again, djaedi. Actually, this whole thing started because I went to Belarus in early March. I was hoping that the NVC would have my petition before I left, and I was going to make contact with the embassey in Warsaw (both by e-mail and in person, since I went through Warsaw). However, the NVC didn't have it before I left ... and, of course, they still don't have it. While I was in Belarus, we did go through the checklist of everything the embassy will need, and we took care of everything except the police certificate (which you can't get in Belarus until you have something from the embassy) and the medical exam. I also left my fiance a large binder of the materials that the embassy will need from me. So I think we're in pretty good shape. The minute I know that the NVC has assigned a number to the petition, I am going to contact the embassy by e-mail and see what I can do to speed up the process. I do sympathize with the CSC and the NVC, because the workload must be incredible. I work in a county attorney's office with a few thousand files, and we are always scrambling to locate lost files. It's the typical American system -- the most critical jobs are filled by the lowest-paid, most poorly trained employees, so screw-ups are inevitable.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wonder if all the hold up in mailing out approvals to NVC has anything to do with the mailroom at CSC?

I sent a reply for RFE on March 22. It still has not been "received" into their system. Was told today that there are new contractors in the mailroom and any mail is taking up to 4 weeks from time it is received until it makes it into the proper hands....ridiculous!...maybe those same new mailroom workers are also slow sending mail out as well...

Debbie & Barry

K-1 Timeline:

10-29-2007 Sent I 129-F to CSC

10-31-2007 I 129-F received CSC 9:48 AM

11-02-2007 NOA-1

11-07-2007 check cashed!

11-09-2007 NOA-1 hard copy received

3-11-08 RFE

3-17-08 RFE received by mail

3-22-08 RFE reply sent from England

4-09-08 RFE received CSC case resumed

4-18-08 NOA2 by email (after 172 days)

4-24-08 NOA2 hard copy

5-01-08 NVC received

5-02-08 case forwarded to US Embassy London

5-07-08 received by London Embassy

5-08-08 Packet 3 sent from Embassy

5-15-08 Packet 3 mailed recorded delivery

5-21-08 Packet 3 received US Embassy London

6-02-08 Medical

6-13-08 packet 4 received

7-01-08 Interview London Embassy Approved!

7-04-08 Visa in hand! hurray!

7-13-08 POE Cleveland, OH

9-23-08 (AOS package sent)

9-29-08 NOA received I-485, I-131, I-765

10-21-08 biometrics appt

12-12-08 EAD and AP received by mail!

2-04-2009 AOS approved!

2-12-2009 card received

11-05-2010 I-751 mailed to CSC

11-08-2010 received CS, NOA1 date

12-20-10 biometrics

02-09-11 ROC approved

02-14-11 Greencard received!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Class action lawsuit against the contractors for the infliction of emotional distress? Maybe find a few people who died during the K1 process and represent those families?

Only 32.6% serious. B)

Timeline

I think that what is most maddening are the false expectations that are created. If someone had said to me, up front, "Look, it's going to take 2-3 months from the notice of approval by CSC for your petition to reach the NVC -- no more, no less," I would have had no problem with that. Granted, 2-3 months would seem a little ridiculous just to mail a petition from California to New Hampshire, but I could have lived with it. Instead, the reports of historical processing times and various "experts" led me to believe that anything more than 14 days from the CSC to the NVC was indicative of a MAJOR PROBLEM. So I came pretty much unglued after 30 days, and I feel pretty sure that everyone whom I frantically contacted was starting to view me as a bit of a nut case. I have calmed down considerably just by learning that at least my petition hasn't been lost. This is just a very difficult situation -- USCIS and the NVC are overwhelmed with work and are typical federal bureaucracies staffed by unmotivated, semi-trained gerbils who don't appreciate that each petition is the most important thing in the lives of two real people ... those of us who have filed petitions are living on the raw edge of our emotions and are ready to come unglued at the slightest hint that our petitions aren't moving as quickly as the best-case scenario we've ever read about ... and there is a lot of information out there, some good and some bad, that either creates false expectations or ungrounded fears. So after completely exhausting myself over this for the past two months, I'm going to chill out and just let the silly thing work its way through the system.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I have calmed down considerably just by learning that at least my petition hasn't been lost.

*nods* which is exactly why they need a better system of being able to locate processed files so they can tell you where you file is before you start to panic and have to kick up a fuss just to be given a straight answer.

I hope the rest of your journey is much smoother - good luck!

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

Timeline

I must say, being a complete fanatic does have its rewards: I just got a call from the Department of Homeland Security in Washington that my approved petition went in the mail to the National Visa Center yesterday. The guy was extremely pleasant. So now I merely have to hope that it doesn't bog down within the walls of the NVC, or the Embassy in Warsaw, or wherever else it has the potential to bog down. (I don't want to suggest that being a fanatic got my petition treated any different than anyone else's. It didn't. But at least I got some answers.)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kazakhstan
Timeline

RIGHT ON LANCE!! WOO HOO!! Man I am so happy for you. CONGRATS!! Track that case man........use Kidbrooklyns tips to track it to the embassy!! There can't be too many cases going to Warsaw. GOOD LUCK!!! Im excited for you!! :dance::dance::dance:

Timeline
And the answers were?

The answers were that my petition wasn't lost when I feared it was lost, and that it had been mailed to the NVC the day before the DHS called me. I actually found everyone pretty responsive, as I look back on it -- 3 calls from the CSC, 1 call and 3 e-mails from the CIS Ombudsman, 1 call from the DHS, 1 call from the NVC, 1 call from my Senator's office and 4 calls from my Congressman's office. Since I work in a government office that processes merely thousands of files rather than hundreds of thousands or millions, it's probably fairly amazing that things go as smoothly as they do. Sorry not to sound as bitter as you might like, shawndoc.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Lancep... I find it quite refreshing that you finally got some answers from 'the powers that be' regarding your petition. I'm not sure if it was your position ...or merely your perseverance to get an answer... either way it gives me a bit more faith in my government. ;)

I'm not even filing with CSC but find myself quite infuriated by the injustice of the disparity between the two centers.

Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. That which is wrong and unfair can only be changed one way... with an educated, strong and steady voice. Thanks for doing your part.

timeline.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
And the answers were?

The answers were that my petition wasn't lost when I feared it was lost, and that it had been mailed to the NVC the day before the DHS called me. I actually found everyone pretty responsive, as I look back on it -- 3 calls from the CSC, 1 call and 3 e-mails from the CIS Ombudsman, 1 call from the DHS, 1 call from the NVC, 1 call from my Senator's office and 4 calls from my Congressman's office. Since I work in a government office that processes merely thousands of files rather than hundreds of thousands or millions, it's probably fairly amazing that things go as smoothly as they do. Sorry not to sound as bitter as you might like, shawndoc.

No disappointment about the lack of bitterness. But I would have like some explanation besides "For some people it takes a super long time, for others it takes less than a week". Some explanation of the process that causes some cases to get "lost". But I guess that's not forthcoming. Oh well.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
And the answers were?

What was it that kept your case at CSC for 60 plus days after approval? Did the DHS, or the ombudsman tell you that part at all? Did they explain why?

Shawndoc is right; what explanation do they have, if any, of some cases making it to nvc in a week or two, and others dragging on for what seems an eternity? And the theory that they are waiting for crates or pallets to fill up is obviously wrong. CSC sends cases to NVC every week.

Just curious if you learned any more as to the whys.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

A similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago. You did the right thing Lancep. If you wait for CIS it might have been found after some more time. But maybe not!

I had received a notice that my packet was sent to NVC. I waited a little and started checking. Kept getting the message that there was no packet there. I got more and more frustrated since I was told to check with the previous previous service center. The typical response was to wait. I started to call many people and tried to get some action. I tried my congressman and senator. After a couple of months they found it, but the explanation was vague. I gather that they misfiled it and did not want to really say so. Typical CYA. They will not give you the real reason, and I am sure you are right that many times they screw up and eventually fix it. That is why they do not want you to bug them before 90 days...

Because of this delay I my Fiancee thought I was playing her and we parted ways. I now am starting the process again after meeting a wonderful woman. If there is any delay I won't hesitate to raise a ruckus!!! I will not be very patient and no 90 day wait before I do so!

Glad you are in action again Lancep Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

For what it's worth, I got the notice today from NVC that my petition had been received and would be on its way to Warsaw within a week. I got no definitive answers as to why my petition took 70 days to get from CSC to NVC, but my sense was that CSC is less of a monolith than we might think -- meaning that it isn't just an assembly line that all petitions chug slowly down in single file. How long your petition takes will depend largely on which combination of desks/piles/pallets it happens to end up on/in. If the person who gets your petition is going on three weeks of vacation the day she gets your petition, you're going to lose three weeks right off the bat.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I actually simply called and talked to real person at the NVC. He said that K-1 visas do not work on the automated system, and that my petition Is at the office, although I have recieved NO written affirmation of that. He was able to give me the case number ( becasue the file was sitting there on a desk, but had not been logged until April 22, but had been there since the 5th or so...........so if you call the number from the NVC website, and wait until after 9 pm EST, you will have a better chance of talking to someone. Good luck

Just read further down that you did find your petition! Great! All we now is that final push!!!!!

Sue Jeys..California!

Our K1 was approved by the California Service Center on 2-4-08. It has yet to reach the National Visa Center. I am an attorney, and I managed to get the personal phone number of the director of the NVC and the personal e-mail of the CIS Ombudsman. I have also involved my Congressman. No one can give me or the Congressman's office a straight answer as to where this K1 actually is. Only that there is no reason to get excited unless more than 90 days have elapsed since the approval by CSC. Does anyone know where the petitions physically go after the CSC approval, and how one could be sitting someplace for 90 days without either the CSC or the NVC being able to give a straight answer as to where it is?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.