carslo

US Citizen coming to Canada

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know one way to get quicker treatment in Canada is to goto a smaller city with a hospital. I have a friend awhile back that required hernia treatment. The wait in Saskatoon was going to be awhile, but he could goto a smaller town and have it done much quicker. Yes thats not always an option! When it comes down to it, hospitals suck!! With heart problems in my family, thats usually what motivates me to get off my ### and go for a jog or goto the gym.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

married_my_love, everyone here is sorry to know about the medical misfortunes of your family. And you're right, they can happen anywhere, whether you have coverage or not. When these things happen, it can be a reminder that life is short and we need to make good things happen while we can, for ourselves and those we love. Which is exactly what we're all doing, so please take consolation in that.

My mother refused chemo when she was diagnosed with lung cancer last summer because she didn't want to be very very sick during her last days. It was a courageous act, and mercifully, she passed quickly. Medicare provided daily Hopsice care and the family paid for live-in care. Sometimes, we can choose to let nature take its course and put ourselves in the hands of a higher power, as she did. Because there isn't a health care system in the world that can change the time of our birth and death.

If you go to Canada, you can stay healthy by drinking all the good beer. It kills germs, I'm convinced!

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

If you go to Canada, you can stay healthy by drinking all the good beer. It kills germs, I'm convinced!

;)

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not to stir anything up, just an update on my wifes trip to the hospital for her ankle. (She is the US citizen) We spent over 3 hrs in the waiting room for her to be admitted. She was in immense pain, tears flowing the whole time, no meds to dull the pain, just ice. Once admitted, we saw the PA for maybe 5 minutes in total. Had Xrays complted, showed no broken bones. Was just a very bad sprain. Just recieved the bill today, it came to $1200. I'm sure our insurance will cover the majority of it if not all. Just my 1st experience with the USA system.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Not to stir anything up, just an update on my wifes trip to the hospital for her ankle. (She is the US citizen) We spent over 3 hrs in the waiting room for her to be admitted. She was in immense pain, tears flowing the whole time, no meds to dull the pain, just ice. Once admitted, we saw the PA for maybe 5 minutes in total. Had Xrays complted, showed no broken bones. Was just a very bad sprain. Just recieved the bill today, it came to $1200. I'm sure our insurance will cover the majority of it if not all. Just my 1st experience with the USA system.

Wel-come to Ah-Med-ica!

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

All I can say is this when it comes to the whole question of medicine in Canada. Every time a family member (including myself) has had a severe medical problem -- cancer, stroke, heart valve problems, etc -- we have had nothing but the best of care, and it was even prompt. And this is in rural Nova Scotia. I have had four knee operations and a stroke, and I shudder to think what the bills would have been like if it had happened here.

Like others have stated, there are pros and cons to both systems. I would never say that Canada's system is perfect -- not by a long shot. But at least at home, I didn't have to worry about what my insurance did or didn't cover, dealing with red tape, etc etc.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.