English Muffin

AOS FILERS - April 2008

1,855 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
It definitely is :unsure:

Michael tells me I should stop checking online case status 3 times a day :whistle: and only look once a week or so.. I know he's right

Funny thing I never did that going through K-1, cause I was employed and quite busy, we were together too so it didn't really matter and it seemed like the approval came through so quickly as opposed to now :blink:

Hehe... I m so obssesed with checking the case status online all the time and embarassed too that I have stopped telling Daniel at all :blush: Also I keep a lookout for he mailman so as soon as he has delivered the mail I get it in to see if there is anything from the USCIS..

Am I going crazy??? :unsure:

Hi DanielParul,

I see in your timeline that you got your SSN even before applying for AOS. Can you please share how you were able to apply for SSN withouth EAD?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lithuania
Timeline

Michael tells me I should stop checking online case status 3 times a day :whistle: and only look once a week or so.. I know he's right

Funny thing I never did that going through K-1, cause I was employed and quite busy, we were together too so it didn't really matter and it seemed like the approval came through so quickly as opposed to now :blink:

Hehe... I m so obssesed with checking the case status online all the time and embarassed too that I have stopped telling Daniel at all :blush: Also I keep a lookout for he mailman so as soon as he has delivered the mail I get it in to see if there is anything from the USCIS..

I think almost all of us are like that :yes: Though this time I told myself I am gonna check online cases "only" 3 times a day: in the morning, at lunchtime, and one more time before my hubby gets home ( he told me the same: stop checking and don't make yourself "sick" :lol: ) ... ok, I still have one more time for today :D

K-1 Visa journey:

January '04: met in the USA

21st June '07: sent the I-129

06th November '07 - APPROVED, FINALLY !!!

19th December '07:Medical

20th December '07: Interview Date

21st December '07: VISA IN HAND

18th January '08: Leaving to US !

12th February '08: received SSN

14th March '08: WEDDING DATE

AOS journey:

04th April '08: AOS package sent

11th April '08: Notice date on all 3 NOA's (15 April in the mail)

07th May '08: Biometrics (done)

02nd May '08: Driver's license received

09th May '08: AOS transferred to CSC

15th May '08: AOS is pending at CSC (CRIS email)

18th May '08: AOS touched

04th/09th June '08: EAD Card production ordered (CRIS email) (2 e-mails on different days)

04th June '08: AP approved (CRIS email)

10th June '08: AP in the mail

12th June '08: Approval notice for I765 sent (EAD) (CRIS email)

14th June '08: EAD in the mail

17th June '08: 2nd visit to SS Office - changed my last name on the card

18th/19th June '08: AOS touched

28th June '08: SS card received with a new last name (in the mail)

14th August '08: GC ORDERED (Cris email) !!!

19th August '08: GC and welcoming letter received

Filed: Timeline

Hey rainbow007,

We waited exactly 2 weeks from my arrival into the US and then applied for the SSN (It takes about 2 weeks for the systems to be updated once you enter the US). I carried my passport with the I-94 and the visa and also my marriage certificate. At first the lady at the counter asked me if I had applied for AOS yet as I migh not be in their system yet and I told her that I was told by the Immigration Officer at the airport that it should take 2 weeks :P That got her to check the system atleast and she found me with my maiden name.

She told me that they can issue the SSN in my maiden name and I can change it later. It was easy really, once I got her to check the system.

I wonder if this is state specific? Do some states issue a SSN and some don't??

Timeline

Hi DanielParul,

I see in your timeline that you got your SSN even before applying for AOS. Can you please share how you were able to apply for SSN withouth EAD?

It varies state by state. You should go to the Social Security Office and ask what is needed in order to get SSN. I went to the office like 3 weeks after my arrival ( we were not married yet and even didn't have marriage licence) and had to show them my passport with the visa and hand in an application form. That was all what they needed. And the card arrived in a week.

Edited by sunnylight

K-1 Visa journey:

AOS journey:

04th/09th June '08: EAD Card production ordered (CRIS email) (2 e-mails on different days)

I think almost all of us are like that :yes: Though this time I told myself I am gonna check online cases "only" 3 times a day: in the morning, at lunchtime, and one more time before my hubby gets home ( he told me the same: stop checking and don't make yourself "sick" :lol: ) ... ok, I still have one more time for today :D

I have already used my '3 times a day' quota :( Wonder where the mailman is?? :P

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi DanielParul,

It varies state by state. You should go to the Social Security Office and ask what is needed in order to get SSN. I went to the office like 3 weeks after my arrival ( we were not married yet and even didn't have marriage licence) and had to show them my passport with the visa and hand in an application form. That was all what they needed. And the card arrived in a week.

Interesting! I'll check with the local office in NJ and hope they can issue my wife with SS card without any prob.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Today we had our biometrics appointment. All went well. Very quick and easy at the Alexandria, VA office. :)

-Dawn(Vinny-Irish/Dawn-American)

08/14/13: CITIZEN! We are done!

Timeline
Today we had our biometrics appointment. All went well. Very quick and easy at the Alexandria, VA office. :)

Congratulations ! :thumbs:

K-1 Visa journey:

AOS journey:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Actually it's a progressive disease. ha ha You start with a few times a day and then it turns into 10+ times per day. In reality, it's just excitement, completely normal.

03/03/2008 Mailed AOS to Chicago Day 1

03/05/2008 AOS Received in Chicago I-485 & I-765 Day 3

03/10/2008 Notice Date I-485 & I-765 Day 8

03/28/2008 I-485 Transfer to California Service Center Email/Viewable Online Day 26

03/29/2008 Biometrics Appointment Day 27

04/04/2008 I-485 CSC Transfer Notification Email/NOA in Mail/Touch Day 33

05/08/2008 I-765 EAD Approval Notice Sent Day 67

05/10/2008 I-765 EAD Card In Hands Day 69

07/07/2008 I-485 Approved Day 127

07/14/2008 10 Year Green Card Received Day 134

05/25/2011 Mailed N-400 to Dallas, Texas Day 1

06/01/2011 Check Cashed Day 8

06/06/2011 NOA Received Dated 06/01 Day 13

06/09/2011 Biometrics Letter Received Day 16

06/30/2011 Biometrics Appointment 9:00 am Day 37

08/18/2011 Notice of Interview Sent Via Mail Day 86

09/26/2011 Interview Day 125 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!

10/17/2011 Oath Ceremony Complete!!!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline
We received an RFE today.

Two issues listed:

1) In order to process your application further, the petitioner on form I-864EZ must submit all Federal income tax documentation for most recent tax year...

My accountant filed an extension for my 2007 income taxes so they haven't been filed (thus 2006 is the last year I filed). Perhaps they're looking for 2007 since we sent our application in April 17th? Maybe I should have sent the 2007 extension documents?

2) The petitioner on form I-130 has submitted I-864EZ. However, the petitioner's income listed on the income tax return provided does not meet or exceed 125% or the poverty line. The petitioner cannot submit for I-864EZ to satisfy the Affidavit of Support requirement. The petitioner must submit a completed and signed form I-864...

I originally submitted a full copy of my 2006 1040 and all W-2's, etc. I didn't have the transcript at the time, but I have it now. Wages from W-2 = $70,000. Poverty line is $16,500 for two people, right? Seems like I have more than enough income.

Evan, I will try to help, starting with issue 2.

It looks like the phrase about the petitioner's income not meeting or exceeding 125% of the poverty line is a standard phrase USCIS includes just so they can have a quick reason to put down for the RFE. My husband's income also exceeds 125% of poverty line (which is $17,500 for two people, BTW), and they also included this phrase in our RFE, when in fact they wanted something else, so you need to read between the lines. To me it looks like they wanted you to submit Form I-864 instead of I-864EZ, which is the shorter version. There are certain criteria which need to be satisfied in order to be able to file I-864EZ, and I'm sure you know them, but for the benefit of others, here they are (I-864EZ instructions, page 1, "Who May Use Form I-864EZ?":

You may use Form I-864EZ IF ALL the following conditions apply:

1. You are the person who filed or is filing the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for a relative being sponsored;

2. The relative you are sponsoring is the only person listed on the Form I-130 petition;

3. The income you are using to qualify is based entirely on your salary or pension and is shown on one or more Forms W-2 provided by your employer(s) or former employer(s).

Evan, I assume you checked these out and decided you qualify, and that you included W-2's that show that all the income on the affidavit comes from your salary. I think the Officer did not want to bother to verify that you meet all these criteria, maybe your tax paperwork was somewhat complicated (you said you have an accountant), and decided to request you file the long Form I-864 instead of the EZ.

So I think this is what you need to send back - a completed I-864, together with all the tax documentation!

Issue 1. Did you send W-2's and all the other tax documentation to substantiate the 2006 tax returns? If you did, then my reading between the lines tells me that for USCIS "the most recent tax year" means 2007, and not any other year for which tax returns may be available. They want your current and most recent income to be satisfied that you meet the sponsorship limits. I say, file those 2007 taxes and send USCIS a copy, plus of course all the supporting documentation (W-2's etc.) Have your accountant prepare your tax return with the best available information and you can always send IRS amendments of your tax return at a later time, as long as the changes to income are not material from USCIS's standpoint. By all means, if you want, include the 2006 transcripts. But you only have one chance to reply to the RFE, I heard if they don't get what they want, they may issue a Notice of Intent to Deny.

Here are two attachements with further info: a list of tips on how to assemble the I-864 and how to respond to an RFE. And don't hurry, you've got time. But do file those 2007 taxes.

Thanks so much for your help! Yeah, that's pretty much how I read it as well. I'll give them the I-864 and 2007 1040. Hopefully, that will be enough. :)

11/28/07 Clara enters US on B1 visitors visa

01/19/08 Engaged in Catalina, CA! [Watch our engagement video]

03/22/08 Married in Napa, CA! [Our wedding website]

04/17/08 Mailed I-130/I-485/I-765 to Chicago lock box

04/20/08 USPS Receipt from Chicago Lock Box

04/25/08 NOA1 I-130/I-485/I-765

04/29/08 Checks Cashed

05/07/08 Biometrics Appt (notice date 04/29/08, appt 05/20/08 but we went early)

05/22/08 RFE

06/06/08 RFE Response Rec'd by USCIS

07/14/08 I-765 - Card Ordered!

07/23/08 EAD Card rec'd!!!

09/02/08 NOA - Rec'd Interview Date

10/31/08 Interview - APPROVED!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
Evan and Asolana,

So sorry to hear. By best wishes to get eveything corrected. Did you get the RFE in the mail or by email?

I have had no touches, no emails, no updates. I am wondering if i am going to get an rfe today in the mail.

Its quite discouraging at time eh?

Hey Steph

Actually I got a few touches days before I got the letter in the mail, I was so excited because I thought they were about to approve my EAD =[ but yesterday my wife checked our mailbox and we were so nervous to open it because we didn't expect anything from them and it was that damn RFE.

Today we went to an InfoPass appointment and they told us that we just have to re-submit the I-864, one made by my wife and the other one by her uncle who is the co-sponsor. I hope I will get my work permit soon.

Good luck to you and hopefully you will get your EAD soon!!

Hey Steph

Actually I got a few touches days before I got the letter in the mail, I was so excited because I thought they were about to approve my EAD =[ but yesterday my wife checked our mailbox and we were so nervous to open it because we didn't expect anything from them and it was that damn RFE.

Today we went to an InfoPass appointment and they told us that we just have to re-submit the I-864, one made by my wife and the other one by her uncle who is the co-sponsor. I hope I will get my work permit soon.

Wish you good luck and hopefully it will be sorted out soon :thumbs:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
Hey Steph

Wish you good luck and hopefully it will be sorted out soon :thumbs:

Thanks!!! wish you the best of luck :)

Timeline

Best of luck !!! Hopefully your case will be resumed soon again !!! And you will get your EAD soon too ;)

I can't wait for my work permit as well ...

K-1 Visa journey:

AOS journey:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Actually it's a progressive disease. ha ha You start with a few times a day and then it turns into 10+ times per day. In reality, it's just excitement, completely normal.

We are truly sick :) and having a crackberry doesn't help... ;)

Uniting for Ukraine

2022-05-14 I-134 (1) Submitted

2022-05-17 I-134 (1) Case confirmed

2022-05-17 Beneficiary (1) e-mail received, USCIS account created

2022-05-17 I-134 (2) Submitted

2022-05-19 I-134 (2) Approved

2022-05-19 Beneficiary (2) e-mail received, added to travel group

2022-05-20 Information submitted to USCBP

2022-05-20 Travel documents received
2022-06-14 Arrived (Houston, TX)
2022-06-20 I-765 Sent
2022-06-24 I-797C NOA receipt
2022-07-20 ASC notice received
2022-07-24 Biometrics appointment

F4 Visa Journey
2014-04-24  I-130 filed

2022-03-02  Expedite request submitted
2022-03-07  Expedite request approved

2022-03-16  I-130 approved

2022-04-30  NVC case created

2022-05-05  Case not eligible for further processing

K1 Visa Journey
2006-10-10  I-129F filed

2007-07-24  K1 visa received

2008-04-11 - AOS filed

2009-03-24 - AOS approved

2011-01-11 - Lifting conditions filed

2011-03-21 - Lifting conditions approved

2013-02-02 - Naturalization filed

2013-05-09 - Naturalization approved

2013-09-24 - Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.