3AD

Evidences for K-1

54 posts in this topic

Actually they do.. they are required to review everything that was submitted with the petition. The reason that providing additional evidence of the validity of the relationship is due to the reasons that I have stated above. Whether or not one wishes to provide this additional evidence and just submit a bare bone petition is up to the petitioner. However, Iif I knew I was going thrugh a high fraud consulate, I would take steps to do anything that could prevent a consular officer from sending a petition back to the USCIS.

Perhaps I'm not understanding you, zyggy. The petition goes to the USCIS first, and upon approval by a USCIS adjudicator is forwarded to the Consulate via the DOS.

How would submitting a lot of stuff that wasn't asked for to begin with prevent a Consulate from sending a case back to the USCIS when the topic of discussion here is the USCIS adjudication process and what's required for its approval of the I-129F petition and not what's necessary for the C.O. at a particular consulate?

Your rationale makes no sense to me.... :blush:

Edited by kaydee457
miss_me_yet.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Actually they do.. they are required to review everything that was submitted with the petition. The reason that providing additional evidence of the validity of the relationship is due to the reasons that I have stated above. Whether or not one wishes to provide this additional evidence and just submit a bare bone petition is up to the petitioner. However, Iif I knew I was going thrugh a high fraud consulate, I would take steps to do anything that could prevent a consular officer from sending a petition back to the USCIS.

Perhaps I'm not understanding you, zyggy. The petition goes to the USCIS first, and upon approval by a USCIS adjudicator is forwarded to the Consulate via the DOS.

How would submitting a lot of stuff that wasn't asked for to begin with prevent a Consulate from sending a case back to the USCIS when the topic of discussion here is the USCIS adjudication process and what's required for its approval of the I-129F petition and not what's necessary for the C.O. at a particular consulate?

Your rationale makes no sense to me.... :blush:

It all stems from who is really in charge of immigration. It's the USCIS. A Consular Officer can only send a petition back if and only if he or she believes that there was evidence or lack of evidence presented at the interview that in the Consular Officer's belief would have changed the outcome of the approval of the petition had it been known to the USCIS at the time the petition was originally reviewed. If evidence of the nature of the relationship was submitted with the petition and was subsequently reviewed by the USCIS, then the COnsular Officer cannot use lack of evidence of a genuine relationship as a reason to send back a petition as the USCIS has already reviewed evidence regarding the nature of the relationship and found it to be sufficient. If a consular officer wanted to send the petition back to USCIS if they doubted the nature of the relationship, they would have to find another reason to send the petition back.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am in agreement somewhat with ziggy! For those of you who are lazy or just want to send minimum information like 2 pictures or 2 e-mails or 2 airline tickets, etc go for it then do not be crying when you get an RFE, denial, or any other problems with your petition.

I do not understand after going through all this crazy process, that the agencies involve do what ever they want and being away from your significant other why would you take that chance?

My K-1 fiancée visa petition was close to 100 pages, very well organized. Over 30 pictures, complete photo copy of passport (mine is like the yellow pages because I travel international for work), 12 airline tickets, receipts, boarding pass stubs (went 12 times to Colombia in 3 years, 15 e-mails from me to my fiancée, 15 e-mail from my fiancée to me, all types of credit card statements and receipts, home and cellular bill, and a million more things.

Could you people be so lazy as to provide all you can as soon as possible without having to be told to do so? I bunch of people get RFE’s for bad copies how hard and how much can it cost you to get a very good copy of birth certificate or divorce certificate?

I do not understand this maybe it is because I am a C.P.A.? I am ####### and detail, in my line of work you never leave any detail no matter how small it is and there can never be too much information, documentation or paperwork.

Peter Miami

Edited by Peter Miami

Johanna & Peter

Colombia / U.S.A.

I-129F / K-1 Fiancee Visa

08-20-02 - Met Johanna in Armenia, Colombia

10-05-05 - K-1 Sent to TSC

10-14-05 - Received NOA1 by E-Mail (Day 9)

12-22-05 - Reveived NOA2 By E-Mail & Mail (Day 78)

03-03-06 - Interview Date! (Day 149) Approved

03-10-06 - Johanna Arrived

05-27-06 - Married

I-485 / AOS (Did not applied for EAD or AP)

06-05-06 - Sent I-485 application to Chicago via USPS (Day 1)

06-06-06 - AOS Package Delivered at 12:29PM

06-12-06 - Received NOA1 by Mail

06-14-06 - Check Cashed

06-22-06 - Received Appointment Notice for Biometrics

06-26-06 - "Request for Additional Evidence" Online, waiting for letter

06-29-06 - Biometrics Done!

06-30-06 - Received RFE Letter by mail. (Missing Birth Certificate)

07-10-06 - Sent RFE by Express Mail USPS

07-11-06 - RFE Delivered @ 10:54AM Sign by D. Atwell

08-28-06 - AOS Transferred to CSC E-mail & USCIS Website (Day 85)

08-30-06 - Touched #1

08-31-06 - Touched #2

08-31-06 - E-Mail from CRIS & USCIS-CSSO - CSC received AOS Application

09-01-06 - Touched #3

09-01-06 - NOA by Mail Regarding Transfer to CSC

09-05-06 - Touched #4

09-07-06 - Touched #5

09-13-06 - Touched #6

09-15-06 - AOS Approved by Online Status & E-mail

09-21-06 - Received GC and Welcome Letter (Day 109)

Pete ands ziggy. I suggest you two read the I-129F instructions and then visit the USCIS website and review the Field Manual for adjudicators concerning the evaluation of evidence.

The I-129F petition is evaluated for, and is adjudicated based on evidence that will prove, or disprove that: you are eligible to marry, you have met within the past two years (a statutory requirement), and that you are a U.S. Citizen.

Evidence that you're in a relationship is irrelevant, and adds nothing of value.

If it did, they would ask for it (as the consulates do).

There's nothing wrong with simply following the instructions and supplying what was asked for; no more, no less.

Why make this process harder than it is by "inventing" and imposing psuedo requirements on youself?

miss_me_yet.jpg

Timeline
Pete ands ziggy. I suggest you two read the I-129F instructions and then visit the USCIS website and review the Field Manual for adjudicators concerning the evaluation of evidence.

The I-129F petition is evaluated for, and is adjudicated based on evidence that will prove, or disprove that: you are eligible to marry, you have met within the past two years (a statutory requirement), and that you are a U.S. Citizen.

Evidence that you're in a relationship is irrelevant, and adds nothing of value.

There's nothing wrong with simply following the instructions and supplying what was asked for; no more, no less.

Why make this process harder than it is by "inventing" and imposing psuedo requirements on youself?

I have "invented" nothing and take offense at you insinuating that I have "invented" anything

I'm afraid that you won't read this anywhere, but through practice and how the system works, what I wrote above is how many attorneys do things. This is one of those issues that you pick up with experience and a thorough knowledge of the process and the internal workings of the system. If you check other boards where experienced attorneys post on a regular basis, most of them will state that they include evidence of the relationship when submitting their I-129F submissions for the reason that I have stated above.

If you want further information regarding my position, I suggest that you look up posts from Andy, MDUdall or Ellis Island on this subject.

Edited by zyggy

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I am in agreement somewhat with ziggy! For those of you who are lazy or just want to send minimum information like 2 pictures or 2 e-mails or 2 airline tickets, etc go for it then do not be crying when you get an RFE, denial, or any other problems with your petition.

I do not understand after going through all this crazy process, that the agencies involve do what ever they want and being away from your significant other why would you take that chance?

My K-1 fiancée visa petition was close to 100 pages, very well organized. Over 30 pictures, complete photo copy of passport (mine is like the yellow pages because I travel international for work), 12 airline tickets, receipts, boarding pass stubs (went 12 times to Colombia in 3 years, 15 e-mails from me to my fiancée, 15 e-mail from my fiancée to me, all types of credit card statements and receipts, home and cellular bill, and a million more things.

Could you people be so lazy as to provide all you can as soon as possible without having to be told to do so? I bunch of people get RFE’s for bad copies how hard and how much can it cost you to get a very good copy of birth certificate or divorce certificate?

I do not understand this maybe it is because I am a C.P.A.? I am ####### and detail, in my line of work you never leave any detail no matter how small it is and there can never be too much information, documentation or paperwork.

Peter Miami

And ours consisted of 2 photos, 2 sets of boarding passes, 1 hotel bill and the required forms & documents, no more than 20 pages all together.

Some get through with a minimal amount of evidence and some are required to submit more.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess what I don't understand is how doing exactly what is asked is lazy and sending in more than they want is the right thing?

We sent exactly what they asked and did not go overkill with evidence that was not requested at this time.

Maybe they need to start issuing RLE's (request for less evidence)

Edited by cristy

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
Could you people be so lazy as to provide all you can as soon as possible without having to be told to do so?

I find your comments insulting and your arrogance annoying.

I too was ready to send a 2 inch thick package but after discussions in this site, I decided to send exactly what they asked for and NO relationship evidence. It was 3 business days between my NOA1 and NOA2. As you will see from my timeline, I was approved blazingly fast in the middle of January when they were "officially" still working on packages from the middle of December. I'm sure a lot of people including myself are wondering why I got approved so fast. I can only surmise it was the organization of my package and the fact that they didn't have to review 100 pages of evidence that wasn't required at this point in time.

Whether this affects my fiancees chances at her interview remains to be seen but we have plenty of evidence and when my fiancee shows this at her interview, I don't believe it will make a difference whether they already had it before she got there. I guess we'll find out huh.. ;)

Rick

6/05.........Booked travel to Jakarta for October

7/05.........Rebooked for December after realizing vacation was in the middle of rhamadan

12/05.......Spent 10 days in Bogor and Bali and got engaged

1/14/06....Mailed I-129F Package to VSC via FEDEX(Day1)

1/17/06....Package picked up at FEDEX depot and signed for by G.MERRIHEW(Day4)

1/23/06....Check cashed(Day10)

1/25/06....NOA1 via snailmail dated 1/19/06(Day12)

1/28/06....Checked case status on USCIS website. NOA2 approved 1/25/06(Day15)

1/30/06....NOA2 via snailmail dated 1/25/06; Called NVC and received case#(Day17)

2/02/06....Fiancee picks up "fiancee" packet 3 from Jakarta embassy(Day20)

2/06/06....NVC letter via snailmail dated 2/03/06(Day24)

2/27/06....Medical Exam and Police Report Completed(Day45)

2/28/06....Turned in documents to Embassy; Received Interview Date of March 9(Day46)

3/9/06......Fiancee has interview; problem with custody document translation(Day55)

3/10/06....Fiancee turns in translated document to embassy(Day56)

3/14/06....Fiancee picks up k-1 visa from embassy(Day60)

I have "invented" nothing and take offense at you insinuating that I have "invented" anything

I'm afraid that you won't read this anywhere, but through practice and how the system works, what I wrote above is how many attorneys do things. This is one of those issues that you pick up with experience and a thorough knowledge of the process and the internal workings of the system. If you check other boards where experienced attorneys post on a regular basis, most of them will state that they include evidence of the relationship when submitting their I-129F submissions for the reason that I have stated above.

If you want further information regarding my position, I suggest that you look up posts from Andy, MDUdall or Ellis Island on this subject.

Thank you for now you have proven my point exactly! Ignorance knows no bounds on the internet.

I challenge you once again to demonstrate whereby all this superfluous information, and supposed evidence, was imposed on the petitioner/applicant, and by whom? It certainly isn't the USCIS.

It is however an ever increasing number of people on the internet passing this kind of "psuedo" requirement along in postings such as yours.

As for attorney's; well what's to say? Do they really know more than you or I? I think not; at least for the majority of them concerning immigration process. It's been proven time and again in these forums.

It's clear that this psuedo requirement is yet one more instance of someones "good idea" becoming more than just that; a good idea, and passed along as "fact".

Perhaps you should step back and ask yourself the simple question; had I just read the instructions and complied would I have been any worse off? After all, there are many, many people that do not visit forums such as this and just read the instructions.

Sorry if your feelings are zyggy but you'll survive I'm sure. :lol:

P.S. Please don't drop names such as Andy, Ellis Island, and the arrogant and infamous Udall.....

I'm sure they wouldn't want to be included in this debate without their own personal input.

Edited by kaydee457
miss_me_yet.jpg

I'd suggest you read the threads concerning all the recent denials in Morocco. It sounds like the CO had made up their mind before the chance to submit additional evidence at the interview.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

I'd suggest you read the threads concerning all the recent denials in Morocco. It sounds like the CO had made up their mind before the chance to submit additional evidence at the interview.

It is not a good situation that has been happening in morocco by any means and I really feel for all going through there. But I really doubt in the situations you are referring to, that no evidence or not enough evidence of ongoing relationship was submitted with the petition and then the CO made their mind up based on that prior and denying. And this is what Kaydee and many of us are trying to say. From reading some of the morocco threads, I am curious as to how much evidence of the relationship was submitted already at service center level?? And how much of this had assisted in the CO already making their mind up and not being interested in seeing further evidence.

Lorelle

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Your point is what? You're connecting the lack of relationship evidence not submitted at petition stage to these denials?

Relationship evidence is not solicited at the petition stage.

It seems to me that if there are cases that have been flatly denied in Morocco without reviewing relationship evidence then there's more serious undelying problems with those cases, or perhaps just an angry C.O.

miss_me_yet.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I just mentioned this is another post-if relationship evidence is NOT required at the initial stage then it should be removed from the VJ guides.

It is causing a lot of unnecessary confusion.

Edited by irishgirl73

Ni neart go cur le cheile

"Togetherness is Strength"

It all stems from who is really in charge of immigration. It's the USCIS. A Consular Officer can only send a petition back if and only if he or she believes that there was evidence or lack of evidence presented at the interview that in the Consular Officer's belief would have changed the outcome of the approval of the petition had it been known to the USCIS at the time the petition was originally reviewed. If evidence of the nature of the relationship was submitted with the petition and was subsequently reviewed by the USCIS, then the COnsular Officer cannot use lack of evidence of a genuine relationship as a reason to send back a petition as the USCIS has already reviewed evidence regarding the nature of the relationship and found it to be sufficient. If a consular officer wanted to send the petition back to USCIS if they doubted the nature of the relationship, they would have to find another reason to send the petition back.

With that train of thought how is it then that a petitioner who has submitted an abundance of evidence of proof of the relationship, the beneficiary has still had their visa denied. Con officers can only deny and return a petition when it is found that the beneficiary may not be entitled to status due to fraud (evidence not available at time of approval), changes in circumstances, or clear error in the approval of the petition. Even IF evidence of the relationship is submitted and the petition is subsequently approved, there is nothing stopping a Conof from citing the latter (clear error) as reason for denial as it is the Conofs position to look at all the evidence provided for proof of the relationship, even whats already been submitted to USCIS. It is USCIS postition, that a petition is approved if all the 'requirements' of said petition have been met.

7. In general, an approved petition will be considered by

consular officers as prima facie evidence that the requirements

for classification - which are examined in the petition process

- have been met. Where Congress has placed responsibility and

authority with DHS to determine whether the requirements for

status which are examined in the petition process have been met,

consular officers do not have the authority to question the

approval of petitions without specific evidence, generally

unavailable to DHS at the time of petition approval, that the

beneficiary may not be entitled to status (see 9 FAM 41.53, Note

2, 41.54 Note 3.2-2, 41.55 Note 8, 41.56 Note 10, 41.57 Note 6,

and 42.43 Note 2) due to fraud, changes in circumstances or

clear error on the part of DHS in approving the petition.

Conoffs should not assume that a petition should be revoked

simply because they would have reached a different decision if

adjudicating the petition.

Source

I found this part interesting from a USCIS Interoffice Memorandum

Therefore, when a case is approvable based on initial evidence, and there is not evidence justifying a particular concern to support a RFE or a referral to Fraud Detection and National Security (FDNS), the case

should be approved without RFE or NOID.

Source

IMO sending too much evidence could lead to such a concern, whether it has true basis or not.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Timeline
I just mentioned this is another post-if relationship evidence is NOT required at the initial stage then it should be removed from the VJ guides.

It is causing a lot of unnecessary confusion.

People are trying to make what is not a cut and dry issue into something cut and dry...

I took thhis quote from a Consular Officer that used to post on here...

1. I am with the Department of State. DHS/USCIS is a different agency. They initially approve the petition, but have no authority to grant a visa. I cannot revoke the petition, but I cannot be compelled to issue the visa. I know that this seems odd, but it's all part of the 'separation of powers' doctrine on which our entire political system is based. In general, on reflection, I think it is logical, and helps prevent abuse in the long run.

2. "Different rules for different Consulates/Embassies." While I really like Visa Journey overall, the trouble here is that there tends to be generalizations that will not work in other cultures. Theoretically, one of the many reasons that they send me out here to live, train me in the language and culture, etc, is so that I can make sound decisions based on ALL the factors. Let's take a totally fictitious example as illustrative of what I mean. In the country Visalia, first cousin marriages are illegal by statute, and are completely culturally taboo. It is simply not done. I, as a consular officer living there, know this. The DHS officer looking at a paper petition has no idea. S/He has no reason to deny the petition, and so approves it. But I know that there is a high likelihood that fraud is involved here. I can only return a petition to DHS/USCIS with a RECOMMENDATION that the petition be revoked. I do this outlining factors THAT WERE NOT APPARENT TO THE DHS OFFICER AT THE TIME OF PETITION APPROVAL. If they agree and revoke, fine. If not, they will reaffirm the case. But this type of cultural difference does not lend itself easily to making generalizations.

I also took this From Mr. Ellis, an attorney that used to post on this site as "ellis-island"

What everyone should do - is to inform CIS in advance - at the time of filing the I-129F of any little factor a conoff may view with suspicion, no dam hoi, a hastily arranged dam hoi, whatever. If there is a weakness in your case. Explain it to CIS in a leter with your petition. If CIS considers that factor and approves anyway, the consulate is required to to come up with a new information not available to CIS at the time of approval to deny the visa application.

and

Why explain it to CIS? Because according to the February cable I've posted here many places, a conoff needs evidence that was not available to CIS at the time of petition approval before he or she can justify denying an application.

If CIS has considered the evidence and approved anyway, a conoff needs to find a different reason to deny the visa application.

After CIS approval, a US Citizen petitioner could then write the consulate a letter, once he or she has the case number for the beneficiary's case. He or she should then point out all the factors that CIS considered in approving the petition.

So any weakness in your case - tell CIS in advance.

If consulates obey the law - they'll need new evidence not

available to CIS at the time of approval, to justify denying the visa application.

Not many petitioners or even lawyers are doing this - but they should be doing it.

This is what was wriotten by two individuals who are experts in this area... Trying to make a process that is not cut and dry into something totally cut and dry is irresponsible. Instructing people to just submit the minimum could result in unnecessary complications. Each person's experience is unique and needs to be treated as unique...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.