Delicia

Getting Senator intervention

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't believe it's a name check issue with us. Not really sure what the issue is. I believe it's just shoddy work and laziness, maybe getting lost in the shuffle. I can't think of one solid thing that would hold our case up for all this time. Not one. I wish I did do something wrong in my past so then I could understand this delay. I just know that as of yesterday, the day my husband contacted his senator's office, my case is now being worked on at the consulate. I was shocked when I emailed the consulate and got an actual response. Never had that before. I just hope that it's dealt with today or in the next few days. Our oldest son (step-son to my husband) had to go back to Canada as his travel visa ended yesterday. I understand checking out people, but when the gov't is hurting families who are legitimate I don't get it.

How many years do we have to be married or how many children do we have to have together to be considered a family worthy of being in the US?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Gemilina: I understand your feelings completely. Pretty much the same thing happened to me and my husband when I tried to immigrate to Canada... 2 years later and no progress from CIC, we gave up and now live apart while trying our luck with USCIS.

Regarding the Senator: I received a letter from mine yesterday just advising that he was going to make in inquiry to USCIS and would let me know when he had received a response. It's been less than 1 week after I submitted my letter, so I am not complaining about how long it took him to respond and send an inquiry to USCIS. He obviously accepted my argument that the posted USCIS dates were garbage. Jon Kyl's office seems to be very efficient. Too bad McCain's office completely blew off all my communication with his office as did my House Rep.

Good to know they are responding Delicia. Please keep us posted and keep up the faith sister (F)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I don't believe it's a name check issue with us. Not really sure what the issue is. I believe it's just shoddy work and laziness, maybe getting lost in the shuffle. I can't think of one solid thing that would hold our case up for all this time. Not one. I wish I did do something wrong in my past so then I could understand this delay. I just know that as of yesterday, the day my husband contacted his senator's office, my case is now being worked on at the consulate. I was shocked when I emailed the consulate and got an actual response. Never had that before. I just hope that it's dealt with today or in the next few days. Our oldest son (step-son to my husband) had to go back to Canada as his travel visa ended yesterday. I understand checking out people, but when the gov't is hurting families who are legitimate I don't get it.

How many years do we have to be married or how many children do we have to have together to be considered a family worthy of being in the US?

When they respond, it's usually a good sign. I can't say at what point the cohesion of a family is sufficient to be in the US but Mom and Pop were asked how they met. After 15,000+ days of marriage it seemed like a rather odd question. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline
Regarding the Senator: I received a letter from mine yesterday just advising that he was going to make in inquiry to USCIS and would let me know when he had received a response. It's been less than 1 week after I submitted my letter, so I am not complaining about how long it took him to respond and send an inquiry to USCIS. He obviously accepted my argument that the posted USCIS dates were garbage. Jon Kyl's office seems to be very efficient. Too bad McCain's office completely blew off all my communication with his office as did my House Rep.

Delicia and everyone else who has asked for aid from the elected branch of government or the agents thereof, CALL ONCE A WEEK. Make sure they remember you, office staff frequently turns over and the person who took the complaint may have filed it away or misplaced it before the left their employment. If you call once a week, they will remember you and your case. :thumbs:

IR5

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Got great news today. The consulate called me but I missed the call so I contacted my husband to see if he heard anything. Nope. Luckily, 10 minutes later the senator's assistant called him and told him that we are approved! The assistant said the consulate was calling to find out about picking up or shipping the visas/passports. I sent a Canada Post envelope in with everything so that would be the use of shipment. Anywho, I still can't believe it, we are APPROVED!!!

Edited by gemilina

Timeline
Got great news today. The consulate called me but I missed the call so I contacted my husband to see if he heard anything. Nope. Luckily, 10 minutes later the senator's assistant called him and told him that we are approved! The assistant said the consulate was calling to find out about picking up or shipping the visas/passports. I sent a Canada Post envelope in with everything so that would be the use of shipment. Anywho, I still can't believe it, we are APPROVED!!!

:dance: Congrats!!!!!! :thumbs: The consulate also called my Pop, must be their new M.O. Who cares about that now, you were approved!!!!! :thumbs:

IR5

That's wonderful news!! :thumbs:(F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline
if one rep doesnt work try them all, some deal better with immigration some dont. They do come in handy to help get answers we cant but you just need contact the right one and keep trying

Just wanted to add my 2 cent, Senator's help is great, but like other VJ said, if your case is more than 6 months, than you can request their help... Cuz, everyone goes through the same process!!! However, I did request my Senator's help and he responded. My case from start to finish, meaning the date I filed at USCIS and my fiancee enter the USA, in all, 9 months, and the interview was very friendly too!!!

My wife and I actually used my senator (Senator Levin-Michigan) and his office greatly helped, but only after we were outside of the processing times. Even while we were being screwed due to the Consulate's office being insanely pathetic, we were told to wait a certain period of time between correspondence to make sure that it was reviewed and everything. Towards the end the Consul was literally telling my senator's office that we were all checking on our case too much and she would not review until we basically left her alone lol. In the end though, involving Levin helped a ton and they got the stupid b@$%* to review the documents they sent and approve my wife. I think anything is worth trying and I wish you so much luck!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Finally! Congratulations! They had better get you that green card immediately!

It's great to hear good news.

Summer 2001--we met in Manzanillo, Mexico

10/02--129F submitted (We had 1 RFE)

7/03--Interview in Ciudad Juarez

2/15/04--Married

4/2/04--AOS submitted

8/23/04--Interview in Chula Vista, CA (approved pending name check)

5 EADs, 3 APs, multiple Senators' inquiries and infopass appts, 2 AOS biometrics,

and one move to Seattle later...

3/3/08--AOS Biometrics renewal in Seattle

6/9/08--10 year green card arrived in the mail. My husband is no longer in immigration limbo and is a realio, trulio permanent resident! It says he's been a resident since 04/17/2008.

1/17/11--Apply for Citizenship

Filed: Timeline

Hey!! that's excellent news!!! :dance: :dance:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline
I submitted a letter to my senator today (Jon Kyl) asking for his assistance with my petition in light of the I-130 processing dates going backwards at CSC. I submitted (along with other documents that his office requested from me) a copy of my spreadsheet as proof that the USCIS posted processing dates are bogus. I see several I-130s approved with original filing dates of December 2007 as well as the vast majority of November 2007 filers having received adjudication. There, on the face of it, seems to be no logic to USCIS posting that they were processing through Sept 5, 2007 in March 2008 and now in April 2008, advising they are processing through August 19, 2007. I figure if I wait long enough and disregard the year, they will backed up into October in no time! There really is nothing more I can do about my silly situation other than this.

If the Senator decides my case is not worth pursuing at this time, so be it. If he does, cool. In the meantime, I definitely need a break from this forum and everything else immigration related, because, I am just burned out and have become numb.

Day: 176 :ranting:

GRRRR I am so angry!

The Senator's office called and left a detailed voice mail on my home phone. The aide advised that they had received a response from USCIS has received my file and its receipt date is Feb 13, 2008 (which is actually the NOA-1 date) and they expect to adjudicate it by August 2008. Ummm... 10 months after I filed???? Can't wait to get that aide on the phone tomorrow. Good thing I wasn't home to take the call because I would of killed the messenger.

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.