Chica Yeyé

Trailmix Glorious Travels

115 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm glad Sismix and Tom Mix like their new names, just think, if they have another child they can always call the baby Admix. :thumbs::lol:

Sense of humour? Road trips through Montana and expensive mechanical difficulties have a way of attenuating the joy of the open road. :crying::lol:

2866 miles, that's insane. :crying: Makes the Toronto to Spokane run (2300 miles) seem like Sunday drive. At least you got to stop and rest for the night, must have been nice. :lol:

BTW, last I heard Len was in a strip poker game in Whitefish and doing rather well. Lots of nekkid cowboys roaming the streets sobbing inconsolably. :lol:

:lol:

Yeah, the whole broken down car in Tennessee thing - ok, first of all I signed us up with CAA before we left, because I'm thinking hey, if the car breaks down, who will we call!

So, first of all, before you reach Kimball (which is basically also South Pittsburg) there is this steep grade. The ford guy who was shuttling us around to the hotel told me that they get around 2-3 people in per week during the tourist season because of said grade and normally it's the transmission. I say to Tennessee FIX THE ROAD. ahem.

Anyhoo, car is running fine and we go down said hill and all of sudden we hear a sound like water hitting the car, which of course it was. So Mike pulls over to the shoulder, car stops. It's 80 degrees and not a cloud in sight. It's so hot I kind of feel sick.

You know when you see a car on the side of the highway and you pull over to the inside lane. Ok, well they were not doing that and it's a busy busy area. Anyway so I get out of the car with Mike and I call triple A right away. Tell someone the whole thing and where we are, she transfers me to someone else and I give her all the same information. No problem, she will put a priority call out, should be someone there in 40 minutes to an hour. About 40 minutes later I call them again.

Put on hold for a long time, she comes back, should be 40 minutes to an hour. Hmmm. Also the cat is still in the car, but she seems to be dealing with it.

Anyway, about 40 minutes later the tow truck pulls up, happy to see him and his air conditioned truck!! He takes us to the ford dealership. Then the shuttle guys drives us to the 3 motels in town. Comfort Inn, America's best value and Country Hearth Inn. Ok, Comfort and Country Hearth won't accept a cat. So we end up at el dumpo - I tend to think this wasn't even a legit 'America's best'. It was dirty, dark, the windows were huge store type windows - you get the idea. Our clorox cloths were still in the car so we walked to the gas station to get lysol to disinfect everything. :blink:

One other thing. We had picked up an Alltel phone in Nebraska, because although we had purchased some roaming minutes for our Canadian phone, we thought we should get a U.S. phone as we couldn't get a signal in like South Dakota etc.. I had charged the Canadian phone the night before because I called my Mom. When we broke down I grabbed that phone to call triple A.

The Alltel phone has never worked, so I'm glad I had our good old Canadian one :thumbs:

Edited by trailmix

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Oh and I forgot to mention, when the tow truck guy got there he was so mad at the people for not pulling over (he was waving them over) that he actually spit on one of the trucks as it whizzed by! :hehe:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Oh and I forgot to mention, when the tow truck guy got there he was so mad at the people for not pulling over (he was waving them over) that he actually spit on one of the trucks as it whizzed by! :hehe:

Wow that really sucks. The big hill reminds of Wheeling, WV I was walking around town (what else is there to do) and there was a huge hill and I wondered if the car broke down, what would happen. Thank God they salted that hill. I hate people who don't go around a stalled vehicle. :ranting:

I had no idea that people in TN had such poor manners, what happened to Southern Hospitality? Glad you remembered to disinfect everything. You really don't want to know what transpired in those places. I'd be afraid to sleep under the covers. Yikes!!!!! :crying:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Yuck. What a crappy experience. I wouldn't have gone to their damn cornbread festival either. :protest:

After hearing about this, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a cornhole festival. :ranting:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Glad you got through the experience and are safe and sound. Something to remember your trip by, when it becomes funny in a few months.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Timeline

Im boycotting cornbread!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Glad you got through the experience and are safe and sound. Something to remember your trip by, when it becomes funny in a few months.

lol funny you should say that, I think I made a similar comment while sitting in the grass beside the road (knocking off the little green bugs as they landed on my legs) :hehe:

Filed: Timeline

lol funny you should say that, I think I made a similar comment while sitting in the grass beside the road (knocking off the little green bugs as they landed on my legs) :hehe:

iagree.gif

Timeline

Ok, so now about roads!

America, you should be proud of your highways - they are well maintained and generally easy to navigate (exception - grade in Tennessee as mentioned above).

We had originally decided to kind of go around big cities, but we didn't. St. Louis, Nashville, Atlanta. Carla, maybe you can shed some light on the St. Louis roads :lol: When you drive in to these places you would think there were 7 million people there, in some places the roadways are 7 lanes! Where are all these people coming from?? When you only have your google map instructions and you are whizzing along it's really hard to make like 8 lane changes for 6 different exits you have to take :lol:

Also, in Missouri they have letters on their signs, like Exit 78 - D E, Exit 79 M N, we never did figure out what those extra letters meant, I guess it's a local secret?

Quite a bit of roadwork going on out there, which is a good thing. One thing I did notice in Georgia - lots and lots of tires, which had blown up, by the side of the highway. I found this strange as you see maybe one a state, but in Georgia it's like the state decoration.

OMG. I can SO relate to your road report, Trailmix. :lol:

The other thing that drives me batty is the non-stop road construction. I mean it's non-stop in the SAME place, year after year after year. They don't finish up and move on down the road. They just put up the barriers and leave. After about a year or two they come back, tear up the road, then leave again. It's never-ending. When we first flew down here on our house-hunting trip it was July 2005 and there was road construction in front of our hotel. It is now three years later..... AND THE SAME ROAD CONSTRUCTION IS STILL THERE!!!!! :blink: I tell you, if I was a business owner in this town (because all their accesses are blocked) the Town Council would be cringing at the mention of my name. My husband actually read in the paper that "they" were going to offer the road construction firm a bonus if they would finish the job. #######? That was last Fall, though, so I guess the bonus must not have been big enough because they're still there. :wacko:

iagree.gif

Timeline

It's funny, we picked up all these little books at the supermarket yesterday, the real estate ones and the job ones etc.

So my Husband is looking at the job one and there is an ad for truck drivers, 'No experience, No problem'!! The funny thing is it's for Werner Trucking - which he made comments on all the way here for their lack of driving skills.

Im boycotting cornbread!!!

cornholing still good though? :whistle::rofl:

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

02/26/08 packet received chicago lockbox

03/03/08 NOA(I-485,I765,I131)for daughter and myself

03/09/08 received biometrics appointment letter

03/25/08 RFE recieved for NOA for I129F(USCIS lost it! DOH!)

03/25/08 RFE sent

03/26/08 biometrics appointment(YAY!)

03/26/08 EAD touched(for daughter and myself)

03/28/08 EAD touch again!

04/03/08 RFE received case processing resumes

04/29/08 request AP expedited

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/02/08 case transfered to CSC

05/02/08 EAD card production ordered

05/05/08 EAD card production ordered again

05/10/08 EAD card received

05/16/08 AOS touched

05/18/08 AOS touched again!

06/11/08 AOS card production ordered!

06/16/08 green card received in mail!!

no more USCIS for almost 2 years!!

ROC

04/07/10 sent I-751 to VSC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

05/17/10 early biometrics

06/29/10 card production ordered

07/10/10 card received

It's funny, we picked up all these little books at the supermarket yesterday, the real estate ones and the job ones etc.

So my Husband is looking at the job one and there is an ad for truck drivers, 'No experience, No problem'!! The funny thing is it's for Werner Trucking - which he made comments on all the way here for their lack of driving skills.

:o

I wonder if that's the truck that almost hit me head-on yesterday? Seriously. Watch out for the trucks around here. I've been in more near-misses in the last year than in my entire life in Canada. :help:

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.