CBR

Canada birth cert. HELP!!

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am also going to bow out since it has been a while and I would hate to give the wrong information.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes I have read that too. The thing is that you can't get a certified copy from ontario and i dont' know if making a photocopy is ok. And if they were to keep that then we'd be screwed here in WI getting a marriage license bc they won't accept his short form. Not enough info on it.

I called DOS and they said that we can ask at Montreal to have it back and they MIGHT give it to us and if not then at the border we can ask because it will be in that sealed packet they give you. Ugh I hate this. worry worry worry spaz spaz spaz.

thanks you guys for your responses! It's ok if you bow out I think I got as much of an answer as I can get. The problem is that this whole process seems wishy washy as everybody going through it experiences things slightly differently at each consulate with each interviewer etc... We can only give our own experiences and it helps raise questions to those going through the process. It does help! thanks again

Edited by CBR

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Yes I have read that too. The thing is that you can't get a certified copy from ontario and i dont' know if making a photocopy is ok. And if they were to keep that then we'd be screwed here in WI getting a marriage license bc they won't accept his short form. Not enough info on it.

I called DOS and they said that we can ask at Montreal to have it back and they MIGHT give it to us and if not then at the border we can ask because it will be in that sealed packet they give you. Ugh I hate this. worry worry worry spaz spaz spaz.

thanks you guys for your responses! It's ok if you bow out I think I got as much of an answer as I can get. The problem is that this whole process seems wishy washy as everybody going through it experiences things slightly differently at each consulate with each interviewer etc... We can only give our own experiences and it helps raise questions to those going through the process. It does help! thanks again

I am not sure what you mean by that.. as anything thing they send you will be a certified copy... they will not send you the original document ...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline

I am not sure what you mean by that.. as anything thing they send you will be a certified copy... they will not send you the original document ...

Oh... that might be where the mixup is. Marilyn's right.... you will never get another original.... but you will always be able to get a certified copy.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I ordered my longform BC off the service ontario website and it cost me $35.

I just had my interview in February 2008 and just brought my longform to the interview and they handed me back the original after looking at it (i believe they made a copy of it before giving it back to me) and as well, I just sent a photocopy to DHS for my AOS, EAD and AP.

As for the marriage license - i only used my passport and they had no problem granting us a marriage license.

I suggest never sending original documents for any of this process, just certified copies if necessary. You won't get the originals back most of the time if they are mailed somewhere. Bring all the originals with you to the interview so that they can authenticate anything if they wish.

AOS

Date Filed : 2008-02-15

NOA Date : 2008-02-26

RFE(s) : 2008-03-13

Bio. Appt. : 2008-03-18

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date : 2008-07-23

Approval / Denial Date : 2008-07-23

Approved : 2008-07-23

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received:

EAD

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2008-03-18

Approved Date : 2008-04-24

Date Card Received : 2008-05-03

Comments : Packet Arrived in Chicago - Feb 20, 2008

Check cashed Feb 28, 2008

AP

RFE(s) :

Date Approved: 2008-04-24

Date Received : 2008-05-01

Timeline

Hi CBR,

You should be able to order one online without any problems. We thought we would have a problem b/c my SO is adopted but it turns out it's just going to take a bit more time.

Order it here:

https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms/start.do

and note that you only have to have some of the info, it's not all required:

https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms_faq/s...ng=en#birthInfo

And you can get more than one copy, just costs more. Whoever told your SO about it becoming obsolete I think it just plain wrong.

K1

------------------------------------

07.12.07 - I-129f petition mailed

07.13.07 - I-129f received by VSC

07.18.07 - NOA1 notice

07.20.07 - check cashed

07.22.07 - touch

11.29.07 - NOA2, waited 140 days

11.30.07 - touch

12.03.07 - NVC Received

12.05.07 - NVC Left

12.10.07 - Consulate Rec'd

12.13.07 - Packet 3 Rec'd

03.13.08 - Packet 3 sent back to Montreal

04.08.08 - eligible for interview

05.13.08 - Packet 4 Rec'd

06.02.08 - Interview!

06.09.08 - Visa in hand!

06.16.08 - move date, POE via Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY

06.20.08 - civil wedding

AOS

06.25.08 - AOS package sent

06.30.08 - received in Chicago

07.07.08 - NOA1 for 485 (AOS), 765 (EAD), & 131 (AP), rec'd in mail 07.14.08

07.09.08 - touch on all 3

07.10.08 - check cashed

07.28.08 - case transferred to CSC

08.02.08 - Biometrics

08.03.08 - touch on AOS

08.04.08 - touch on AOS & EAD

08.05.08 - touch on EAD

08.06.08, 08.07.08, 08.21.08, 08.22.08 - touch on AOS

09.03.08 - EAD approved!

09.04.08 - touch on EAD

09.05.08 - EAD card arrives in mail

09.06.08 - AP arrives in mail (no updates online or via email)

09.23.08 - touch on AOS

09.24.08 - welcome letter mailed

09.25.08 - touch on AOS

09.30.08 - AOS approved

10.01.08 - touch on AOS

10.04.08 - Green Card received

02.21.09 - "real" wedding in Montreal

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh... that might be where the mixup is. Marilyn's right.... you will never get another original.... but you will always be able to get a certified copy.

that is not really what I was saying.. you never get the original ... those are kept by the government in a safe locked up place somewhere.... they only ever send you a certified copy...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you continue to have problems getting an official copy of your long form birth certificate don't hesitate to go to your MPPs office and get them on the case for you. They have special contacts they can use - and they do get things done. Explain the circumstances, what you need and they will help you out.

You can request back the original you sent at the interview - bring along a photocopy they can have instead. And if you haven't sent in the information yet, don't send in the original birth certificate - bring it with you to show them - but send them copies. He will definitely need to have the original certified copy to get or to renew his passport - Passport Canada does not accept photocopies - only the official document issued by the Government. Good luck.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
I ordered my longform BC off the service ontario website and it cost me $35.

I just had my interview in February 2008 and just brought my longform to the interview and they handed me back the original after looking at it (i believe they made a copy of it before giving it back to me) and as well, I just sent a photocopy to DHS for my AOS, EAD and AP.

As for the marriage license - i only used my passport and they had no problem granting us a marriage license.

I suggest never sending original documents for any of this process, just certified copies if necessary. You won't get the originals back most of the time if they are mailed somewhere. Bring all the originals with you to the interview so that they can authenticate anything if they wish.

Is the birth cert an item on the checklist that we have to send back before the interview is scheduled? If so, do we just photocopy it and take the original along?

My county won't accept his passport for the marriage license as he's under 30. That may be a county or state specific thing. (just like some states have a waiting period after divorce and others don't)

Hi CBR,

You should be able to order one online without any problems. We thought we would have a problem b/c my SO is adopted but it turns out it's just going to take a bit more time.

Order it here:

https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms/start.do

and note that you only have to have some of the info, it's not all required:

https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms_faq/s...ng=en#birthInfo

And you can get more than one copy, just costs more. Whoever told your SO about it becoming obsolete I think it just plain wrong.

He did end up getting one ordered. I think it's weird about the obsolete thing too because wouldn't it just be the same info? I don't get that at all but it's what they said. Thanks for the websites.

my BC says "certified extract from the registration of Birth issued at Winnipeg"

That's what his says too. I told the lady at our courthouse and she said she would need to see it to make sure it's certified lol. I'm like it SAYS it is. No, she needs to see if there's a raised stamp on it by looking at the back. My fiance says there isn't.

I just can't believe how crazy this issue has gotten. Of all things I didn't think we'd have such confusion over his birth certificate.

3/9/11 date of NOA

I am beside myself this morning over this long form birth certificate thing.

I applied on January 23rd and the online status checking page has never updated for me. A kind person from this forum rang them on my behalf, as I am in NZ, and found out that as it is a request from overseas a supervisor would have to sign it but they did have my request and it was being worked on.

I rang them myself Friday, and was told that as the request was over two months old the would submit an inquiry and to ring back today.

This morning I was told that as I live in New Zealand, I require a guarantor. I know that, and I sent her info with the request back in January, by fax.

They give you a list of occupations your guarantor must come from, and they must also be a Canadian citizen. Pretty hard to come by in Auckland :(

If your guarantor is not on the list, you have to give the occupation they do have and an explanation. I did that as well.

Now this morning I am told that if the guarantor isn't on the list, I have to supply the details of a NZ citizen that IS. I can use my Doctor, and get him to sign a letter stating that he knows me. Fine.

My issue is..in spite of having three telephone numbers, and email and snail mail address, NO one from the RG office thought to tell me this. So I have been sitting here waiting on the last bit of paper I need to assemble before we can file our application and it isn't coming. He apologized up one side and down the other for what he termed their failure to communicate, they have no email as it is closed to the public but frankly what good does that do me now?

After I fax this off to them today.....it will take a further 6 weeks to process...and THEN they mail it out to me. THEN I send it off to my fiancee and THEN he gets to file...this means we aren't going to be able to file for nearly three more months.

:unsure:

Edited by cdneh

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Timeline

Sorry, are you talking about filing your I-129f? You don't need a long form birth certificate just to file that. What you need it for is the interview stage, which is much later in the process after filing the 129f.

Or did I read you wrong?

Edited by rae_and_scott

K1

07.12.07 - I-129f petition mailed

07.13.07 - I-129f received by VSC

07.18.07 - NOA1 notice

07.20.07 - check cashed

07.22.07 - touch

11.29.07 - NOA2, waited 140 days

11.30.07 - touch

12.03.07 - NVC Received

12.05.07 - NVC Left

12.10.07 - Consulate Rec'd

12.13.07 - Packet 3 Rec'd

03.13.08 - Packet 3 sent back to Montreal

04.08.08 - eligible for interview

05.13.08 - Packet 4 Rec'd

06.02.08 - Interview!

06.09.08 - Visa in hand!

06.16.08 - move date, POE via Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY

06.20.08 - civil wedding

AOS

06.25.08 - AOS package sent

06.30.08 - received in Chicago

07.07.08 - NOA1 for 485 (AOS), 765 (EAD), & 131 (AP), rec'd in mail 07.14.08

07.09.08 - touch on all 3

07.10.08 - check cashed

07.28.08 - case transferred to CSC

08.02.08 - Biometrics

08.03.08 - touch on AOS

08.04.08 - touch on AOS & EAD

08.05.08 - touch on EAD

08.06.08, 08.07.08, 08.21.08, 08.22.08 - touch on AOS

09.03.08 - EAD approved!

09.04.08 - touch on EAD

09.05.08 - EAD card arrives in mail

09.06.08 - AP arrives in mail (no updates online or via email)

09.23.08 - touch on AOS

09.24.08 - welcome letter mailed

09.25.08 - touch on AOS

09.30.08 - AOS approved

10.01.08 - touch on AOS

10.04.08 - Green Card received

02.21.09 - "real" wedding in Montreal

Sorry, are you talking about filing your I-129f? You don't need a long form birth certificate just to file that. What you need it for is the interview stage, which is much later in the process after filing the 129f.

Or did I read you wrong?

No ..you read me right. You mean I don't need that to file?!?

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Timeline
I don't get the obsolete thing either but that's what they said to him.

So am I understanding this correctly...we can photocopy the longform and send it to Montreal and just take the original to show them? (i was told by the courthouse here that photocopying a certified document is illegal)

or

we submit the original longform and they will give it back to us at the interview? I have read on VJ here that they keep it.

We just had the interview in Montreal & they didn't ever take his longform original BC. You shouldn't have a prob with that at all.

Visa Type: K-1

Embassy: Montreal

NOA1: 4-24-2007

NOA2: 8-15-2007

Recieved Packet 3: 9-15-2007

Returned Packet 3: 1-29-2008

Montreal Recieved: 2-04-2008

Interview date: 3-27-2008 (APPROVED!!!)

Visa in hand: 4-01-2008 (and it wasn't an APRIL FOOLS JOKE!)

Date of US entry: 4-12-2008

Date of wedding: 5-24-2008

AOS, EAD & AP Filed: 10-02-2009

AOS, EAD & AP NOA1: 10-19-2009

I never thought it was worth it, you know, waiting for your love, and then I felt your kiss, I could wait forever for this........

Timeline

I'm really confused. If you're the beneficiary of the petition you don't need your birth certificate until way later (although if it's vermont you're filing through it could be mighty quick!). The USC submits the petition (i-129f) and they have to send a certified copy of their birth certificate to prove their citizenship.

If you are a US citizen but not born here I'm not positive, but don't you just have to submit the document that proves your citizenship? (as the birth cert does)

If you're a US citizen and born here then you wouldn't be requesting a birth certificate from NZ so that can't be the case lol.

3/9/11 date of NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.