9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My wife is a Permanent Resident. We married 1.5 years ago via K1. In 5 months she will apply to Remove Conditions. She wants to travel back to Colombia and visit some other South American countries to see friends like Argentina.

From everything I've read, she does not seem to need to do anything special since she's only going for a few weeks. However her MOTHER, who is also a PR, could not travel back to Colombia without going to New York and getting a special "stamp." This past summer her Mother travelled to Spain and had to go back to NY to get a new passport.

My wife thinks she needs this "special stamp."

Has anyone else heard of this?

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
My wife is a Permanent Resident. We married 1.5 years ago via K1. In 5 months she will apply to Remove Conditions. She wants to travel back to Colombia and visit some other South American countries to see friends like Argentina.

From everything I've read, she does not seem to need to do anything special since she's only going for a few weeks. However her MOTHER, who is also a PR, could not travel back to Colombia without going to New York and getting a special "stamp." This past summer her Mother travelled to Spain and had to go back to NY to get a new passport.

Thanks!

The re entry permit is after an extended stay outside the USA.... A few weeks or a month are not extended stays

YMMV

Thanks!

Where did the mother go in NY was it a USCIS office or a embassy or what.... the stamp could have been a visa to visit these countries or it could have been a I-551 stamp if the mothers Greencard was the older style with no photo...

Sorry but cant say what that was all about as not enough info..

If your wife want to travel all she needs to get back into the US is her greencard and a valid passport.... she may need a visa to enter some of the countries she is planning on visiting... you would need to check on the websites of each country what the requirements are for someone with a passport from your wives home country....

Kez

Thanks for the replies. The office in NY was an embassy that her Mother visited.

So then she doesn't need to fill out any special "travel application" to travel outside the US...her PR card should be enough, yes? (I'll check with the country for any specific req's but I don't think Colombia has any).

When you say she needs her Passport, are you referring to her original Colombian Passport or does she need a US one? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

G

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If she is a PR, she doesn't have a US passport n'est pas??

If this was an embassy, and her mother needed a passport, well most likely she went to renew her Colombian passport and as Kezzie said, maybe she needed a tourist visa. Last summer my cousin who is a PR, had to get a new Mexican passport in order to go to Peru, then she needed to go to the Peruvian consulate in Sn. Francisco, CA to get a tourist visa stamped on her new passport.

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Thanks for the replies. The office in NY was an embassy that her Mother visited.

So then she doesn't need to fill out any special "travel application" to travel outside the US...her PR card should be enough, yes? (I'll check with the country for any specific req's but I don't think Colombia has any).

When you say she needs her Passport, are you referring to her original Colombian Passport or does she need a US one? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

G

She can not get a US passport until she has become a US citizen.... she will need her passport from her own country to be able to travel outside the US...

Kez

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Switzerland
Timeline
Wrong thread

on top of that, being a PR from latin america she probably needed a VISA to get into Spain, rather than anything to do with her status in the US... Just a supposition here...

And the Permanent Resident status becomes under question if you spend more than 6 (cumulated) months out of a year outside of the US, since you don't fit the definition of PR anymore... my 2 cents

Edited by bozzo

Our AOS Timeline:

01/24/08 Sent AOS, EAD, AP Documents

02/01/08 $1010 check cashed

02/07/08 Receipt Notices for all 3 applications with MSC numbers

03/14/08 AP approved

03/28/08 AP in hand

and waiting...

Our K-1 timeline:

05/08/07 I-129F Received

10/10/07 reception of NOA2

11/05/07 case sent by NVC to Bern (31 days since NOA2). Sibylle will be contacted once they physically receive the file. Getting prepared for the interview...

11/26/07 Interview scheduled PASSED!!!

11/30/06 Visa in hands!!!!!!!

10/20/07 Sibylle lands at LAX for good (aside for a round-trip to Bern for the interview when it eventually comes) on a 3 months VWP...

12/09/07 Sibylle lands back in LA

12/24/07 Administrative marriage in the US!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Wrong thread

on top of that, being a PR from latin america she probably needed a VISA to get into Spain, rather than anything to do with her status in the US... Just a supposition here...

And the Permanent Resident status becomes under question if you spend more than 6 (cumulated) months out of a year outside of the US, since you don't fit the definition of PR anymore... my 2 cents

That's why she needs to apply for a re-entry permit, in case the intends to stay for a long period of time, the OP never said anything about this though. Another thing, if she applies for the re-entry permit and explains the situation she can stay for as long as 12 months w/o any problem, the key to avoid any issues is to let immigration know before you leave the country.

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.