leaving the country before already-approved AP arrives

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Switzerland
Timeline

Hello there

Sweating a bit these days. Here is the situation:

- my wife's AP has been approved on March 14 according to the website

- the last touch on it was March 24

- nothing has arrived in the mail yet (as of today, March 27)

- her plane leaves April 4 early morning

So, we have a week to receive the AP, but could she leave before the already-approved AP eventually arrives? I would send her the AP by Fedex when if finally shows up here...

Technically, the approval date on the AP is March 14, so before her departure date. It is just logistics that is messing up the timeline.

Thanks for any feedback.

Stephan

Our AOS Timeline:

01/24/08 Sent AOS, EAD, AP Documents

02/01/08 $1010 check cashed

02/07/08 Receipt Notices for all 3 applications with MSC numbers

03/14/08 AP approved

03/28/08 AP in hand

and waiting...

Our K-1 timeline:

05/08/07 I-129F Received

10/10/07 reception of NOA2

11/05/07 case sent by NVC to Bern (31 days since NOA2). Sibylle will be contacted once they physically receive the file. Getting prepared for the interview...

11/26/07 Interview scheduled PASSED!!!

11/30/06 Visa in hands!!!!!!!

10/20/07 Sibylle lands at LAX for good (aside for a round-trip to Bern for the interview when it eventually comes) on a 3 months VWP...

12/09/07 Sibylle lands back in LA

12/24/07 Administrative marriage in the US!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello there

So, we have a week to receive the AP, but could she leave before the already-approved AP eventually arrives? I would send her the AP by Fedex when if finally shows up here...

Technically, the approval date on the AP is March 14, so before her departure date. It is just logistics that is messing up the timeline.

Thanks for any feedback.

Stephan

I would not advice to leave without the AP , what if it got lost in mail somewhere and your fiance is already out of the country ? she wouldnt be able to get back without the AP or GC ,

if I where in your shoes I would call and see when they send it out after it was aproved ,

mine took around 10 days to get here after aproval on line good luck

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello there

Thanks for any feedback.

Stephan

I would not advice to leave without the AP , what if it got lost in mail somewhere and your fiance is already out of the country ? she wouldnt be able to get back without the AP or GC ,

if I where in your shoes I would call and see when they send it out after it was aproved ,

oops sorry correction ,

she would be able to come back but only after you filed for K3 or CR1 spousal visa ,

since her k1 is already not valid

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Timeline

Thanks for your input.

She called this morning the misinformation line and was told the usual "wait 30 days before complaining". She was also told that the approval date is not the mailing date so we could see it coming soon but nothing else.

She needs to go back home to prepare our religious wedding for this summer. She could postpone her return until she gets the AP, since it is approved already, to get back in the US.

As far as I understand the AP, it is only required to come back, once you land back in the US, as long as the approval date on the paper is before the departure. Just wondering whether the approval date on the paper does match the one announced on the website, in which case she could leave without the approved AP in hand.

No?

Edited by bozzo

Our AOS Timeline:

03/14/08 AP approved

03/28/08 AP in hand

and waiting...

Our K-1 timeline:

05/08/07 I-129F Received

11/05/07 case sent by NVC to Bern (31 days since NOA2). Sibylle will be contacted once they physically receive the file. Getting prepared for the interview...

10/20/07 Sibylle lands at LAX for good (aside for a round-trip to Bern for the interview when it eventually comes) on a 3 months VWP...

Filed: Timeline

Do not leave without the APin your hand under any circumstances.... if you do it can be deemed that you have abandoned your AOS... this has happened before....

It may have a diffrent date or it may get lost in the mail.... if that happened and your wife is not in the US and you go to USCIS and explain what has happened they will abandon the AOS and your wife will be stuck outside the US until you are approved for CR1/K3...

Change the flight if you need to.... but dont risk your AOS...

Kez

Timeline

I know all that, and risking the AOS on a technicality would be a gamble... We will wait another week and eventually call the airline and pay the $700 it will take to reschedule the flight at an unknown-and-impossible-to-predict date.

Starting to hate USCIS again...

Thanks

Do not leave without the APin your hand under any circumstances.... if you do it can be deemed that you have abandoned your AOS... this has happened before....

It may have a diffrent date or it may get lost in the mail.... if that happened and your wife is not in the US and you go to USCIS and explain what has happened they will abandon the AOS and your wife will be stuck outside the US until you are approved for CR1/K3...

Kez

Our AOS Timeline:

03/14/08 AP approved

03/28/08 AP in hand

and waiting...

Our K-1 timeline:

05/08/07 I-129F Received

I know all that, and risking the AOS on a technicality would be a gamble... We will wait another week and eventually call the airline and pay the $700 it will take to reschedule the flight at an unknown-and-impossible-to-predict date.

Thanks

Kez

Maybe the lesson here is not to book a trip until you have the AP in hand.... but it may all turn out just fine for you if the AP comes before you need to travel...

Kez

Edited by Kezzie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Give it a few more days, I am sure it will arrive soon! Good luck!

And yes, don't let her leave without the AP!!!

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Thanks

Kez

Maybe the lesson here is not to book a trip until you have the AP in hand.... but it may all turn out just fine for you if the AP comes before you need to travel...

Kez

I know the lesson, just :angry: hate :angry: having to wait for months before being able to plan anything (I know the drill believe me, went through the whole GC+citizenship myself)...

Will keep you guys posted

Our AOS Timeline:

03/14/08 AP approved

03/28/08 AP in hand

and waiting...

Our K-1 timeline:

05/08/07 I-129F Received

Timeline

Well issue solved, AP arrived in the mail (2 copies, with approval date of March 14) today.

$700+ saved, headaches about airplane schedules avoided, nerves at ease now...

And to answer my own original question, it could have been possible for my wife to leave and me to send her the papers, had they arrived after her departure.

But of course, it is like any gamble, you know the odds after the game is over...

We will then worry about the EAD and AOS after she comes back.

Good luck all!

Stephan

Our AOS Timeline:

03/14/08 AP approved

03/28/08 AP in hand

and waiting...

Our K-1 timeline:

05/08/07 I-129F Received

Well issue solved, AP arrived in the mail (2 copies, with approval date of March 14) today.

$700+ saved, headaches about airplane schedules avoided, nerves at ease now...

And to answer my own original question, it could have been possible for my wife to leave and me to send her the papers, had they arrived after her departure.

But of course, it is like any gamble, you know the odds after the game is over...

We will then worry about the EAD and AOS after she comes back.

Good luck all!

Stephan

So glad to here the AP arrived in time.... hope she has a good trip...

Kez

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.