NaTroy

Swearing in the I-134 Affidavit of Support

10 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I will be accompanying my fiancee to the visa interview in Santo Domingo, DR. I have completed the I-134 with all supporting documents and now need to affirm it before a government official or notary. Since the consular has the applicants take the paperwork with them to the interview, can I do this at the time of the visa interview or is this frowned upon? Would it be better to have this sworn in before the interview? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
Hello all,

I will be accompanying my fiancee to the visa interview in Santo Domingo, DR. I have completed the I-134 with all supporting documents and now need to affirm it before a government official or notary. Since the consular has the applicants take the paperwork with them to the interview, can I do this at the time of the visa interview or is this frowned upon? Would it be better to have this sworn in before the interview? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I was in the US Embassy here in Santiago, Chile, yesterday (March 26th) to pick up a copy of my fiancé's visa packet. I asked the lady who helped me about signing the Affadavit of Support and she told me just to bring it unsigned to the interview. So, that's what I'm going to do. I don't think it's a problem.

Has anyone else out there actually done this???

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hello all,

I was in the US Embassy here in Santiago, Chile, yesterday (March 26th) to pick up a copy of my fiancé's visa packet. I asked the lady who helped me about signing the Affadavit of Support and she told me just to bring it unsigned to the interview. So, that's what I'm going to do. I don't think it's a problem.

Has anyone else out there actually done this???

I have read where US Citizen VJ'ers have taken the I-134 to the Interview and signrd it there without issue. The Consulate can act as Notary.

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

According to the first page of instructions on the I-134 you can do it at the Consulate:

I. Execution of Affidavit.

A separate affidavit must be submitted for each person. Asthe sponsor, you must sign the affidavit in your full, trueand correct name and affirm or make it under oath.

• If you are in the United States, the affidavit may besworn to or affirmed before an officer of U.S. Citizenshipand Immigration Services (USCIS) without the payment offee, or before a notary public or other officers authorizedto administer oaths for general purposes, in which case theofficial seal or certificate of authority to administer oathsmust be affixed.

• If you are outside the United States, the affidavitmust be sworn to or notice affirmed before a U.S.consular or immigration officer.

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Surprisingly, several local notaries declined to do it. My bank's notary said they do not notarize federal government paperwork; my city gov notary said they only notarize official city business; even the local Kinko's notary said they could not do it because it was an oath and they only notarize signatures. This was very confusing to me because even in the instructions it says it can be done "before a notary public." I never knew there were different types/ levels of notaries. The website for the US Embassy in the DR says that a specific appointment is needed to have something notarized. But if the CO who does the visa interview swears us in before beginning, why wouldn't they be able to swear me in for my I-134? Oh well, I'll just get an InfoPass and affirm it with a local immigrant officer before I go. Thanks for all your input.

Thats odd, my Kinkos had no issue in notarizing it for me.

My Visa Journey

Removal of Conditions

03/11/11 - Sent I-751

03/14/11 - I-751 Received

03/14/11 - NOA

04/13/11 - Biometrics

05/31/11 - Approved!

06/04/11 - 10 Year Green Card Received!

AOS

07/13/08 - Wedding

08/13/08 - Sent AOS

08/19/08 - NOA for AOS and EAD

11/21/08 - EAD Received (100 days)

04/14/09 - Interview (224 days)

04/25/09 - Green Card Received!

I-129F

09/13/07 - Sent I-129F

11/06/07 - NOA1 (54 days)

02/04/08 - NOA2 (144 days)

04/16/08 - Interview! (216 days)

04/29/08 - Visa delayed.

05/12/08 - Visa on hand! (242 days)

05/20/08 - US Entry

hvV4m7.png

My local copy place (who is owned by a guys I went to high school with) did several copies for me. . . cuz i'm a freak. He asked me what to put in some of the blanks because he had never done one like that before. . .

AOS Journey

July 1. .. . . . . sent AOS packet

July 9. . . . . . . .NOA for I485; I131; I765 issued

July 14 . .. .. . . . NOA hardcopies rec'd

July 30 . . . . . . .. .update on CRIS transfer to CSC

Aug. 5. . . . . ... . . .Biometrics appt. in Dallas

Aug. 21. .. . . . . .. . .AOS touched

Aug. 22 . .. . . . . . . . .AOS touched (again--what's happening over there)

Sept. 2 . . . . . . . . . . . AP approved (dated on letter--case was never viewable online)

Sept. 4 . . . . . . . . . . . E-mail from CRIS EAD card production (Hubby is so excited!!!)

Sept. 5 . . . . . . . . . . . Touch on EAD

Sept 6 . . . . . . . . . . . . AP hardcopy surprised us in the mail!

Sept. 11 . . .. . . . . . . . EAD card arrived (the same day that Keeb got a job offer!! woot!!)

Sept. 24. . . . . . . . . . .. CRIS said. .. AOS card production ordered!!!

Sept 28. . .. . . . . . . . . .Welcome Letter rec'd

Sept. 30 . . . . . .. . . . . .GC in mail

Filed: Other Timeline
Surprisingly, several local notaries declined to do it. My bank's notary said they do not notarize federal government paperwork; my city gov notary said they only notarize official city business; even the local Kinko's notary said they could not do it because it was an oath and they only notarize signatures. This was very confusing to me because even in the instructions it says it can be done "before a notary public." I never knew there were different types/ levels of notaries. The website for the US Embassy in the DR says that a specific appointment is needed to have something notarized. But if the CO who does the visa interview swears us in before beginning, why wouldn't they be able to swear me in for my I-134? Oh well, I'll just get an InfoPass and affirm it with a local immigrant officer before I go. Thanks for all your input.

That's bizarre.

By any chance, had you already signed it? Because if you did, that won't work. A notary has to witness you actually putting pen to paper on the document.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.