doodlebugg

k-3 filing ead before aos?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Kez,

Thank you for the clarification! Can you point me to the official description of this difference? Of course, the best is a current post at uscis.gov.

R & T

Look at table in part C

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx...33;opendocument

K-1 is not a work visa it is a fiancee visa, K-1 is work auth primarily to enable them to get SSN, some states are strict in their interpretation of a federal law requiring persons applying for a license to have SSN, this would cause a problem in those states when a K-1 attempts to apply for a marriage license without SSN.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Sorry about this bout of sour grapes but, it is TOTALLY ABSURD that a K-1 should get it and a K-3 should not!!

A K-3 is more than likely going to AOS, and in any case is ALREADY married to a USC.

A K-1, without any offence, is just a person who might marry a US citizen...

I think this is a clear case of double standards and I do not see the rationale behind it..

You might try looking at it this way:

- K1s can get EA stamps @ JFK. BUT unless they file for AOS quickly after marriage, they will be w/o EA during the gap between expired I-94 and receipt of EAD or GC. Not a cool situation that can last a while.

- Employers can be hard to convince re: the EA on I-94. For one, it's not clearly listed on the I-9 employment form. Secondly, even though they can't discriminate based on us having a soon to expire EA, they are prone to do just that But they will claim there was some other reason we weren't hired.

- Irrespective of this: K1s first get a 2 year GC (and then apply to lift conditions). K3s, if they wait till the marriage reaches the 2 year mark, can get the 10 year card, saving money and hassles.

- K3s seem to get their EAD quickly, bypassing Chicago and MSC etc. This 2 year document, along with the multiple entry visa practically works like a GC: you can travel and work without restrictions.

BUT K3s who want to become citizens asap should obviously not wait to file for AOS. K3s and K1s are eligible to naturalize after three years of marriage to a USC, regardless of whether we had a 2 year GC for part of that time.

So, K3s have it pretty good.

I initially thought the K1 thing was sweet and I have worked during the first 90 days (currently both my California driver's license and the I-94 EA have expired and there's nothing I can do till the EAD and/or GC arrive).

K1s have to jump through some major hoops and as mere fiance(e)s initially, that's ok.

Finally, I can't remember the exact process now, but aren't most K3s being processed for the CR1-IR1 visa (GC) while they also live in the US? If you travel back to your country of origin, you can have your interview there and bypass the AOS process stateside. Yes, many will be stuck here and cannot travel back. But a 2 year work permit should keep you going till the GC comes through.

How'd ya like them grapes?

JOZ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Sorry about this bout of sour grapes but, it is TOTALLY ABSURD that a K-1 should get it and a K-3 should not!!

A K-3 is more than likely going to AOS, and in any case is ALREADY married to a USC.

A K-1, without any offence, is just a person who might marry a US citizen...

I think this is a clear case of double standards and I do not see the rationale behind it..

You might try looking at it this way:

- K1s can get EA stamps @ JFK. BUT unless they file for AOS quickly after marriage, they will be w/o EA during the gap between expired I-94 and receipt of EAD or GC. Not a cool situation that can last a while.

- Employers can be hard to convince re: the EA on I-94. For one, it's not clearly listed on the I-9 employment form. Secondly, even though they can't discriminate based on us having a soon to expire EA, they are prone to do just that But they will claim there was some other reason we weren't hired.

- Irrespective of this: K1s first get a 2 year GC (and then apply to lift conditions). K3s, if they wait till the marriage reaches the 2 year mark, can get the 10 year card, saving money and hassles.

- K3s seem to get their EAD quickly, bypassing Chicago and MSC etc. This 2 year document, along with the multiple entry visa practically works like a GC: you can travel and work without restrictions.

BUT K3s who want to become citizens asap should obviously not wait to file for AOS. K3s and K1s are eligible to naturalize after three years of marriage to a USC, regardless of whether we had a 2 year GC for part of that time.

So, K3s have it pretty good.

I initially thought the K1 thing was sweet and I have worked during the first 90 days (currently both my California driver's license and the I-94 EA have expired and there's nothing I can do till the EAD and/or GC arrive).

K1s have to jump through some major hoops and as mere fiance(e)s initially, that's ok.

Finally, I can't remember the exact process now, but aren't most K3s being processed for the CR1-IR1 visa (GC) while they also live in the US? If you travel back to your country of origin, you can have your interview there and bypass the AOS process stateside. Yes, many will be stuck here and cannot travel back. But a 2 year work permit should keep you going till the GC comes through.

How'd ya like them grapes?

JOZ

I didn't read all your post, I'm in a hurry...

But the part about some employers not recognizing the EAD stamp in the I-94 from JFK is correct.

Tania was offered three jobs, one employer said she could not work. The I-94 EAD stamp was worthless, according to them.

Two other employers had no trouble.

R and T

Join a free international relationship forum http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RussianBrideList (http://tinyurl.com/yagk6wu)

The RBL is a forum of 1,400+ members(married, searching and single) in active discussions about emigration/immigration concerns

and visas, East-West Relations, EE history. Current topics include immigration issues, learning the language, children in American

schools, deals on apartments and airfare when visiting the former Soviet Union(especially Ukraine and Russia), and more!

100% free from support by commercial interests.

2007-01-19 I-129F Sent to Nebraska to sponsor fiancee in Kiev

2007-01-26 NOA1

2007-05-10 NOA2 Approved

2007-05-18 NVC receives application

2007-07-03 Interview went off without a snag! K-1 visa APPROVED

2007-07-10 International passport with K-1 visa received from courier

2007-07-17 Entered U.S. at JFK

2007-09-07 MARRIED!

2007-10-06 NOA1 for AOS and EAD, 12-10 EAD Card ordered per USCIS site, and THREE CRIS emails

2008-03-26 Effortless and pleasant AOS I-485 interview in Detroit APPROVED!

2009-09-18 Tania's first visit home, eager to get back to the U.S. due to poor living conditions in Ukraine

2010-01-25 Mailed I-751 for "Lifting of Conditions" AKA 10 year green card

2010-02-08 Biometrics appointment NOA, 02-15 Biometrics appointment, simple and quick

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.