Amby

Iron Chef VJ (sorta)

1,101 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Julie and I thought it would be fun to post a recipe each Wednesday or Thursday that we could all try over the weekend and then post our photos of it at the beginning of the week to compare our outcomes. Anyone is free to add a recipe for the following week just PM either of us so we don't get 4-5 recipes for the week and no one knows which one to do. Hopefully it will be something fun that everyone that enjoys cooking can join in!

I got this recipe from Food Network under the sprintime recipes.

Garlic & Citrus Chicken

1 (5 to 6-pound) whole roasting chicken, neck and giblets discarded

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 orange, quartered

1 lemon, quartered

1 head garlic, halved crosswise, plus 3 garlic cloves, chopped

2 (14-ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth

1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves

Kitchen string or butcher twine

Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.

Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle the cavity with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with the orange, lemon, and garlic halves. Tie the chicken legs together with kitchen string to help hold its shape. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.

Place a rack in a large roasting pan. Place the chicken, breast side up, on the rack in the pan. Roast the chicken for 1 hour, basting occasionally and adding some chicken broth to the pan, if necessary, to prevent the pan drippings from burning. Whisk the orange juice, lemon juice, oil, oregano, and chopped garlic in a medium bowl to blend. Brush some of the juice mixture over the chicken, after it has baked 1 hour. Continue roasting the chicken until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the innermost part of the thigh registers 170 degrees F, basting occasionally with the juice mixture and adding broth to the pan, about 45 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Tent with foil while making the sauce (do not clean the pan).

Place the same roasting pan over medium-low heat. Whisk in any remaining broth and simmer until the sauce is reduced to 1 cup, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Strain into a 2-cup glass measuring cup and discard the solids. Spoon the fat from the top of the sauce. Serve the chicken with the pan sauce.

For those of you who use the metric system sorry it's in pounds, cups, etc. Hopefully this website will help http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking.htm

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Timeline

Awww thanks for the thread Amber!

Have to check with Mom if I can come over to hers on the weekend, as I will need an oven :) LOL I love it already. Just thinking of the chicken makes my mouth watery. This should go really well with roasted rosemary potatoes. Any other idea for side dishes?

I think the measures don't matter too much with this recipe luckily, so it's all good about the cup thing.

Ready, steady, cook!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
You're gonna have to post something really easy to get me to join you. I suck at cooking.

grilled cheese ?? ...lol

Pop-tarts. :P

that wrapper is a little tricky to take off.. or you sure you can manage it??

mvSuprise-hug.gif