panamania79

Negative criticism

46 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

My family all loves Iain really and are really glad that we've ended up together, seeing as I'm kind of weird and pathetic and otherwise would have been...even more weird and pathetic :dance:

But the first time I flew over for us to meet there was the obligatory "omg he's probably an internet predator you're not even 18 you're not going!"

And then when he first came here to meet my good ol' southern boy daddy there was the obligatory Use Any Excuse We Can Possibly Find Of Why He's Not Good Enough time period, in which of course his living so far away and also his LACK OF HEALTH (because he's SOOOO unhealthy because he has pretty mild asthma :lol:) were issues. But this is really just all kind of...right of passage, isn't it?

As soon as all the men in my family took him snipe hunting and he held up well to that, he was totally in :D

Meanwhile, I think my boss here at work is quite concerned that I'm engaged and that he's never met him and has been acting very fatherly overprotective and suspicious of him...which is annoying, but kind of...cute in a good intentions way? Meh :\

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I only have one set of relatives that would present a problem for us, so I nipped that in the bud with a snail-mail letter I sent telling them in no uncertain terms how they would behave when family events would bring us together. It worked, they were fine with us at a wedding we all attended.

Then they went back to their trailer and all was good.

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

I've been lucky. I guess my sister sort of broke the ice for me when she married a Greek guy. The only concern my family expressed at that time was that she wasn't going to come home to the US. They are moving home this summer after 7 years in Greece.

They didn't express that concern when I got married. Hey! What does that mean?

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am just sick of friends and coworkers saying things like, "well it's not like you'd know . . . you're not REALLY married." Somehow when you're living apart is a lesser form of marriage?! :whistle: That really makes me nuts.

But me being from Canada, his parents/family/friends don't really consider me a foreigner. They just call me the kookie Canadian.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Panama
Timeline

I haven't heard any negative comments, but I know for a fact that My fiance has received several comments from his co-workers in Panama (specifically female ones) asking him "well what makes HER so special?" or "why are you guys apart if you're in a relationship" and the big one was "oh I know why you're marrying her, it's because you know she'll be making a lot of money in the US, so you're just going to live off of her money"

LoL! everytime my fiance tells me this i just laugh, I don't care, let them die with envy, I'm with the love of my life so they can talk as much ####### as they want, that won't change anything :P

Edited by michellemilitza

AOS:

August 8, 2008: We're married!! (both the ceremony and legal wedding)

September 11, 2008: Got the marriage certificate in the mail!! 

September 20, 2008: Sent AOS packet (I-485, EAD, AP)

September 22, 2008: USPS confirmed delivery at LockBox

September 26, 2008: Check Cashed!! :)

September 25, 2008: Recv'd date on all NOA's 

September 30, 2008: Received all 3 NOA's: I-485, EAD, AP

Ocotber 10, 2008: RFE for I-485 (needed proof of citizenship for sponsor) :S

October 21, 2008: Biometrics @12 pm in Ft. Lauderdale~over and done with in 5min!!~

October 22, 2008: documents for RFE sent via Priority Mail

October 24, 2008: documents received at MO

November 6, 2008: Case transferred to CSC :D

December 10, 2008: EAD approved!! Card production ordered!

Dec. 15, 2008: Rec'd EAD and AP via mail.

March 2, 2009: AOS Approved

March 9, 2009: Green Card Received!!!

March 24, 2020: N400 submitted (online)

January 2021: notice stating no new Biometrics needed

April 15, 2022: Notice to Appear for interview and exam

June 4, 2022: Interview/Exam Day! 🥳

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
I haven't heard any negative comments, but I know for a fact that My fiance has received several comments from his co-workers in Panama (specifically female ones) asking him "well what makes HER so special?" or "why are you guys apart if you're in a relationship" and the big one was "oh I know why you're marrying her, it's because you know she'll be making a lot of money in the US, so you're just going to live off of her money"

LoL! everytime my fiance tells me this i just laugh, I don't care, let them die with envy, I'm with the love of my life so they can talk as much ####### as they want, that won't change anything :P

Those comments are all too familiar to me.All his freinds tell him,"You just hit the lottery,man,American people are rich." And my goofy "friends" say the same thing,"Oh how can you call that a relationship if you are apart,he's probably cheating on you." I used to get angry,I just laugh it off now.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Timeline
I am so sick and tired of hearing "Why couldn't you have found yourself a nice American man" and "I'm tired of foriegners taking all of the American women" and "He just wants a green card." How many of you have heard this during your visa journey ? How do you handle these annoying comments ?

i've heard all of these + many more. at first, i took it as concern for me. but, when the same people keep saying same or close to the same things...it means something else. not quite sure what it means...but i don't like any of the possible meanings. then i got very aggressive about it. now i really just pity the people that make the comments. my friends & family understand.

this is a choice i have made. if you care to be in my life, you will accept & respect my choices & my SO.

Yes, it has been terrible with all the comments and lack of support from "friends" and "family". i try so hard to let it roll off, and most of the time i'm just quietly annoyed or angry about it. but then there are some days it really gets me down. i've seen sides of friends and family that really have surprised me. :angry:

we keep on plugging along, and i know things will be okay if Habibi ever gets here inchallah. but i've really learned a lot through this experience.... that's for sure.

I think that if I were to receive such comments regularly I'd soon start playing along with them - 'oh, I know, but how else am I going to get a man?' 'Of course he wants the green card, but he's paying me a hefty sum to get it.'

:lol::lol::lol:

ha! that's hilarious, do you mind if i use those?

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Not at all - go ahead! I'd love to know what their reaction is :lol:

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Timeline
Not at all - go ahead! I'd love to know what their reaction is :lol:

Ha! :yes:

Okay, thanks... i'm sure i'll have the opportunity soon enough! :thumbs:

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
I am so sick and tired of hearing "Why couldn't you have found yourself a nice American man" and "I'm tired of foriegners taking all of the American women" and "He just wants a green card." How many of you have heard this during your visa journey ? How do you handle these annoying comments ?

i've heard all of these + many more. at first, i took it as concern for me. but, when the same people keep saying same or close to the same things...it means something else. not quite sure what it means...but i don't like any of the possible meanings. then i got very aggressive about it. now i really just pity the people that make the comments. my friends & family understand.

this is a choice i have made. if you care to be in my life, you will accept & respect my choices & my SO.

Yes, it has been terrible with all the comments and lack of support from "friends" and "family". i try so hard to let it roll off, and most of the time i'm just quietly annoyed or angry about it. but then there are some days it really gets me down. i've seen sides of friends and family that really have surprised me. :angry:

we keep on plugging along, and i know things will be okay if Habibi ever gets here inchallah. but i've really learned a lot through this experience.... that's for sure.

I think that if I were to receive such comments regularly I'd soon start playing along with them - 'oh, I know, but how else am I going to get a man?' 'Of course he wants the green card, but he's paying me a hefty sum to get it.'

:lol::lol::lol:

ha! that's hilarious, do you mind if i use those?

Does "inchallah" mean the same thing as "ojala" ?

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

My family and friends weren't to happy and had nothing good to say about it at first either. I really can't say they are happy now either. They told me I travel to much to see him. I am desperate. How do you know he not cheating on you. He just wants a green card. You are so stupid and naive. You can find a man making millions of dollar yet you go and find a man in a third world country. The list can go on. I believe that they are scared about the unknown factors. They never met him and he speaks about 25% of english. However, since we met in 2006 his english has greatly improved. He feels comfortable speaking english to me. I have told my immediate friends and family about filing for a visa. I don't feel like the other friends and family needs to know yet.(until he enters the U.S.) The most important thing is that we are happy together including my son. I know Yova and I union will be a good example that it's okay to step out of your element. Also good things can blossom when you least expected it. I believe through God all things are possible.

I am so happy for VJ . It has been a support system for me in so many ways.

I love my Yova. :blink::blush::whistle:

Edited by Santos Castillo

My parents came to India when Ritesh and I had been dating for about 3 months and really liked him, but my Mom cautioned me against falling in love (too late!!) because she was worried about the arranged marriage culture here. My sister came about 6 months later and could see how serious we were and how much we loved each other, but was still hesitant. When I went back to the US a month after that, Mom again cautioned me, but supported my decisions.

I think the turning point for anyone who had any doubts was last July when I ended up in the hospital right after my return to India needing two emergency surgeries, the second one being a hysterectomy. Ritesh never left my side for the 10 days in the hospital and took complete care of me for the 7 weeks of recovery. After that, he completely won over their hearts, minds and souls and another word has never been spoken since!

Sometimes I do wonder how people in the US will react, but I don't really worry about it, I know what my relationship is and how lucky I am that we found each other!

Met at work Sept. 2005

Started dating Nov. 2005

Got engaged Oct. 2007

Married January 5, 2008

Submitted I-130 in Delhi February 6, 2008 NOA1

Sent DS 230, DS 2001 to Chennai via courier Feb. 21, 2008

Received Case number from Chennai Consulate Feb. 22, 2008 (Postmarked Feb. 13)

Received Email Confirmation of Interview Date on March 5th: April 3rd!

SUCCESS - VISA APPROVED ON APRIL 3RD!! :) :)

POE Detroit - May 19, 2008

Applied for SSN: June 5th - Received Card: June 12th

Received Green Gard: June 12th

Driver's License: July 28th

Move to St. Louis/Ritesh starts his job: August 5th

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

I love using humor, I get, he will take more wifes, and I say, of course, damn I don't want him sweating me, I will be taking young studs myself. You see, once he is busy with his new wife, this gives me time to take a little vaction with my boy toy. :devil: Most people get it, but some really think I am dead serious. Funny stuff.

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg